Wilco Videos from the 90's

I had seen the Beavis and Butthead clip with the "Box Full of Letters" video a few months back, but never thought to look for other "old" videos until today...

and, oh boy, there are more than I expected. It seemed that Wilco was trying to be mainstream at the time, and that now they're not occupied with that at all and not even making videos (which I actually prefer, anyway).

So, I saw BFoL and it was good, and then I watched this:

and couldn't believe how ridiculous it was... just, wow.

I had to share!

What are your thoughts on these videos and the fact that they don't make them anymore?

The "Outtasite" video is one of my favorite music videos ever and the only one I've ever bought on iTunes. If you can't appreciate the artistry of Jay Bennett's sky-surfing solo then I truly feel sorry for you, friend.

The Outtasite video is fantastic. The worst Wilco video is Shot in the Arm. It features a lot of music video cliches and includes Jeff being held down / wheeled around in a hospital gurney. Good luck trying to find it on the interwebs though, it appears the Good Taste police have stricken it from the record.

The Outtasite video is fantastic. The worst Wilco video is Shot in the Arm. It features a lot of music video cliches and includes Jeff being held down / wheeled around in a hospital gurney. Good luck trying to find it on the interwebs though, it appears the Good Taste police have stricken it from the record.

That Shot in the Arm vidoe is just hideous -- and that dressing gown Jeff's wearing is waaayyy too short.

This one's great though -- so young, cute, and jovial.

Yinz can enjoy the video thanks to Aricandover:

A Shot In The Arm (video)

There are a few other threads about videos. I doubt Wilco's record company view videos as a worthwhile marketing tool these days.

VH1.com

Box Full Of Letters

I Must Be High

Outtasite (Outta Mind)

Jesus, etc.

MTV, CMT, and MSN have the videos up also.

well....I have to say, that while the guys really look like they were having a great time, I am more than glad that they no longer make music videos. At least videos like those anyway!! Have to admit though, this one is far easier to watch than the Shot in the Arm video...

And, I wonder, did they do their own stunts in the Boxful of Letters...? If so, then for some reason, this raises Wilco even higher in my esteem and from here on out, they will remain the best rock band ever ;)

And, I wonder, did they do their own stunts in the Boxful of Letters...? If so, then for some reason, this raises Wilco even higher in my esteem and from here on out, they will remain the best rock band ever ;)

The Outtasite video is the one with stunts / skydiving. You can tell that they use stunt doubles but through the magic of some pretty great editing, it's not easy to discern that unless you look closely.

Real John:

RealJohn.jpg

Stunt Double John:

StuntDoubleJohn.jpg

The Outtasite video is the one with stunts / skydiving. You can tell that they use stunt doubles but through the magic of some pretty great editing, it's not easy to discern that unless you look closely.

Real John:

RealJohn.jpg

Stunt Double John:

StuntDoubleJohn.jpg

aye me...yes, I meant Outtasite! Thanks for the info though :) I was pretty sure that was the case.

And yeah, on closer inspection, that is obviously not John...Not even close!

Guest Speed Racer

What are your thoughts on these videos and the fact that they don't make them anymore?

They were on Reprise in the mid-late 90s, back when videos reigned supreme; any label that wanted any band to hit it big would have had the band making videos. It wasn't that Wilco was trying to be mainstream, it's that the label was trying to make them profitable.

Wilco has released at least one video for every album it released; clips from the Shake it Off DVD were used for SBS, and a live performance of I'm a Wheel circulated on various stations as the video for AGIB; in fact, I think W(TA) is their first video-less album.

the link to the shot in the arm video didn't work...i really want to see it now.

do you really? it's a woman sitting around on a couch looking reflective and upset, putting out cigarettes in an ashtray full of them (completely literal take on a lyric, check), the band miming the song (band miming song, check), Jeff being strapped down, held down, and wheeled around a hospital of some kind (vague plot concerning the singer, singer in some sort of conflict, check), woman previously with ashtray appears as one of the doctors/nurses/orderlies (vague plot twist, possible psychological element, check)

watch the loose fur vid instead.

the link to the shot in the arm video didn't work...i really want to see it now.

While it isn't exactly good or anything, it does fit along side quite nicely with the equally stupid rock videos VH-1 was playing in the late-nineties. Though the song would standout, I could kind of see the video fitting in a Oasis-Ben Folds Five-Harvey Danger after midnight run.

--Mike