What bands or artist do you like more than Wilco?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tom Waits will always be in the number one spot for me.

However, for a band, I have realized more recently that Dr. Dog seems to be closing in on Wilco quite fast! But hopefully come next year with the new album, they will return to my #2, again! :yes

This is tough question, because I don't think there are bands I like MORE than Wilco but there are definitely bands I like differently then I like Wilco.

The two names that came up for me were, The Beatles and The Band. The Beatles shaped my entire world musically, so I can't imagine a band being more important to my musical taste and development. So, as far as all time, and all that jazz. The Beatles win that category. But that doesn't necessarily mean I like them MORE than Wilco.

Same deal with The Band. They opened up more possibilities as to what was possible musically (just like Wilco did). So, while they completely made my taste in music change, I can't say I like them better than Wilco or The Beatles. They're just all so fantastic. It's like which M and M color do you like better?

No, not you Van Halen. Do not weigh in on that last part.

Super Furry Animals

Dylan

Maybe Queens of the Stone Age

Maybe Prince

I consider Wilco my favorite American band. That way SFA can be my favorite band, Dylan can be my favorite solo artist, Queens can be my favorite American rock band, and Wilco can be my favorite non "rock" American band. And Prince is my favorite monosyllabic performer.

I don't like leaving anyone out.

Damn, this is not fair. Wilco is my favorite current band (although Califone is closing in on them, quickly), but if you look at the long haul it's not even close. The Dead are so far above ANY other group for me.

I won't list any others, but there are many. Sorry, Jeff, I still heart ya! :yes

I'm with 'Raindog'. Tom Waits is untouchable in my book. Never put out a bad record and his recent releases are every it as good as anything he has ever done. My favorite band is 'Lambchop' but Wilco come in just behind them, although Sparklehorse run them both pretty close.

1/. Neil Young

2/. Lynyrd Skynyrd ( Ronnie Van Zant, just amazing)

3/. AC/DC with Bon Scott( he was Rock & Roll)

4/. The Band

5/. CCR

6/.Led Zep

7/. Wilco ( only discovered them at Farm Aid in Chicago.)

8/. Tragically Hip

9/. Blue Rodeo ( sort of the Canadian version of Wilco)

In reality Neil is definItely my favourite & the last few

years I have been obsessed by Wilco.

I am also getting into the Drive- by Truckers also. They are playing a

small club in April in T.O. Can't wait!!

Really enjoy Grace Potter & the Nocturnals also. Man, can she sing.

It really is hard to find good new music in this

day & age of classic rock stations & new country which

is just regurgitated 80's rock crap.

But tonight my favourite band in the world will be

Wilco because I'll only be 4 rows away right between

Nels & Jeff!!!

Keep On Rockin in the Free World!!!

Wilco's run from Being There to A Ghost is Born might be one of my favorite stretches any band as ever had, but no one is ever going to touch the Beatles for me, because they were the first band I really loved. And I probably like a dozen or so bands a little more than Wilco overall. Still, I have listened to more Wilco stuff than any other band, and certainly with all of the boots I have I have more of their material than anyone else.

--Mike

This is tough question, because I don't think there are bands I like MORE than Wilco but there are definitely bands I like differently then I like Wilco.

The Beatles shaped my entire world musically, so I can't imagine a band being more important to my musical taste and development.

same here. but I guess there is no other band that means as much to me, today, than wilco.

Guest Runaway Jim

Wilco's run from Being There to A Ghost is Born might be one of my favorite stretches any band as ever had

I might not be able to say Wilco is my favorite band, but this is absolutely true for me.

Steely Dan has been my favorite band since about 1975, and nobody ever threatened that status until three years ago. When I discovered Wilco. Now I'm torn when people ask me what my favorite band is. There's no doubt that Wilco is my current obsession, but have they nudged the king off the mountaintop? I don't know. I do believe that if the situation was reversed...if Wilco had been my favorite, and I'd only recently discovered all that incredible SD music...that this question would be a no-brainer. The Dan would be the new king. So I guess Wilco still has a little ways to go in my affections.

The only other artists who would even be in this conversation for me are Tom Waits and King Crimson. Nice to see all the Waits love here!

Wilco is definitely my all-time favorite live band. Perhaps next month's Scranton show will give them another little nudge up the ladder...