Kicking Television vinyl box set?

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I know this thread is from long in the past, but I'm sitting here listening to my Kicking Television box set right now and basking in how amazing it sounds.   Kind of funny that people initi

For all the hype about 180 gram records, etc, I am jus amazed that there are any issues with these LPs. I played two very old LPs from the early days of LPs yesterday and they didn't skip a bit. Go figure.

LouieB

http://www.factmag.com/2015/05/07/pressed-to-the-edge-vinyl/

^ A great recent article on the current problems with the vinyl revival.

I have been suggesting that the vinyl revival will peter out sooner than later, but so far I have been somewhat wrong.  I have also said that the death of the CD is premature (that I will stand by.)  The vast vast majority of people out in the real world don't even know that vinyl records are still being made and really don't care.  Only a small number of people (like us) care about vinyl records.  The mania will continue for awhile because a new group of youngsters will get interested and buy turntables for awhile and then give it up. (The above post about turntable problems is probably the best example of why people just give it up and go back to CDs or digital.)

We live in a collectable world where everything is collectable for awhile and maybe for more than awhile.  This year it is mid-century home furnishings.  I am glad there are lots of used vinyl records on the market and that there are lots of used record stores.  Many of these sell at prices way too high to be believed and much of the vinyl is flowing to collectors in other countries who then sell it back at a higher price.  New LPs will eventually become too expensive for the market and interest will peter out.  (I opted out of two recent LP purchases and went with the far cheaper CD alternatives.) If the supply and demand stays within a reasonable level for the foreseeable future then LP sales will stay consistent or even rise but it is never again going to be more than a niche market. 

As long as vinyl records stay reasonable it will provide lots of people with a nice hobby for a long time. 

LouieB

• 7 years later...

I know this thread is from long in the past, but I'm sitting here listening to my Kicking Television box set right now and basking in how amazing it sounds.

Kind of funny that people initially balked at the price, and now it'll cost at least $300 to get a copy. No criticism toward the original posters, just a rumination on how vinyl has evolved over the years.

• Like 1