Kicking Television vinyl box set?

Finally got around to listening to the set last night after letting it sit opened & unplayed for about a week. The sound was marvelous through my system, and the bonus tracks are great - they nearly close the AGIB gap and add in a little more variety to the setlist. Now if I could only hear the full concerts from the entire period that KT was recorded...

The band did not allow taping on those nights. If someone did tape, I have never seen the shows anywhere.

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I know this thread is from long in the past, but I'm sitting here listening to my Kicking Television box set right now and basking in how amazing it sounds.   Kind of funny that people initi

Yes, I think I had heard this before...it's just wishful thinking.

Someone very well may have taped - but you would think it would have appeared out there somewhere by now.

I have a Black Crowes show (Mp3s files unfortunately) that was not supposed to be taped.

Someone very well may have taped - but you would think it would have appeared out there somewhere by now.

I have a Black Crowes show (Mp3s files unfortunately) that was not supposed to be taped.

Absolutely it would have. So maybe, someday, when Wilco is just bursting & swelling with generosity (even more so than they are now) they'll put 'em out. Or I could go the rest of my life not hearing those full shows. KT is an excellent document, a fine piece of pie. I'd love the cake.

I was lucky enough to be at all four. This may sound crazy, but I bought tickets for two of the nights at the venue the night of the show. It was a glorious time. I wish we knew which shows these new tracks came from. When K TV first came out VC was able to figure them all out. Not sure this time around...

This may sound crazy on a couple of fronts, but I also attended all four and wrote detailed notes about each show in an email to a friend. That being said, I have the box set but don't have a functional turntable at the moment, so I haven't been able to listen to any of the bonus tracks. Is there any banter? If not, I don't know how we could ever determine what was what.

I take it back

Another Man's Done Gone and Kamera are from the 2nd show (5/5), Just a Kid is from the 3rd show (5/6) as is Outta Sight. Which leaves I'm a Wheel as the only new addition to the K TV set. Wheel was played at the first three shows...

No banter.

I was at one of those shows.

Just a Kid was from the show I was at. Glad that was included; despite actually having a working turntable, I have not yet put this set on yet.

LouieB

Can anyone tell me what's on the bonus CD that came with the box set that was presumably only available on Record Store Day? Suffice it to say that the Barnes and Noble in Fairbanks, Alaska was not participating.

Just heard a little skip on IATTBYH, has to be "factory", only second time that one has been played and it looks flawless. Is that possible, audiophiles, anyone, Bueller, Bueller?

maybe a bit of dust in the grove? give it a good cleaning and try it again.

Just heard a little skip on IATTBYH, has to be "factory", only second time that one has been played and it looks flawless. Is that possible, audiophiles, anyone, Bueller, Bueller?

You probably should increase your tracking weight a little bit.

Some people have their systems set up with the tracking weight too low, and that will make things skip.

Some records can have slight obstructions that can cause skips, but increased tracking weight can break through those. This is not something that should happen or be done often if you have your system set up properly, it is just a fix for some types of manufacturing flaws.

Too little tracking weight is worse for your records than too much because it is not good for the needle to be bouncing around everywhere.

For all the hype about 180 gram records, etc, I am jus amazed that there are any issues with these LPs. I played two very old LPs from the early days of LPs yesterday and they didn't skip a bit. Go figure.

LouieB

I haven't had any problems with skipping on 180 gram vinyl, including the box set. I'm using a pretty decent (meaning older and well cared for) turntable and my audio expert (Dad) has been very good about making sure everything is calibrated properly.

I'm no expert myself, but I do know tracking weight it important, as stated earlier. I'm wondering if a lesser quality player would have difficulty keeping the proper weight?

My record player is a complete peice of shit but I think it's on the record. The vinyl is clean and the skip is consistent. It's no big deal I was just wondering if anybody else had the same skip.

It more than likely isnt really the vinyl.

If you have the tracking weight too low, a little bit of dust or gunk can cause a slip. Increasing the tracking weight can dislodge the dust, and then it will play fine.

gunk can accumulate on your needle and fall into a groove, or it can stay on the needle and cause weird stuff to happen.

You have to remember, that needle is barely touching the record at all. It is very easy to make it jump.

Sometimes new records are kind of "sticky" and can get crap in them and cause them to skip. It would behoove you to play it through with the tracking weight up a little bit.

I always clean my new vinyl in my spin wash system and use a record brush on every album on every side before I play it. I use one of the little microfiber ones and it takes two seconds.