Most enjoyable albums?

A lot of music "best of" lists included albums that are quite good, but they might be downers. Or that have artistic value, but are avant garde or abstract to the point that they aren't necessarily fun. And then there's a bunch of crap that someone labeled trendy.

There's a time and a place for all of that, but I'm curious as to what albums/tracks/artists people on this board find most enjoyable. What makes you tap your foot or get up and dance? What puts a big grin on your face? What makes you roll down the windows and sing along? In short, music that's both fun and good.

Some examples of stuff I'd lump in that category:

Wilco - "Monday," "I Must Be High," "Nothing'sever..."

Beatles - Probably half the stuff they wrote

Rolling Stones - Every single with a killer Richards riff

Ryan Adams - First half of "Gold"

The Apples in Stereo - "The Bird That You Can't See"

Ben Folds Five - "Song for the Dumped"

The Clash - "Train in Vain"

Anyone else feel like playing along?

Guest Ordinary Beehive

Phish - YEM

Or almost anything else they've done. Runaway Jim, Chalkdust, Fluffhead, David fucking Bowie...

There's not much in this world that makes me happier than listening to Phish.

As far as Wilco is concerned, I find AM & Being There to be the most "enjoyable" listens.

And clearly, the majority of the Beatles catalog. Someone on here's got that quote in their signature about feeling down and listening to like 3 seconds of the Beatles and instantly being happy. Classic.

Phish - YEM

Or almost anything else they've done. Runaway Jim, Chalkdust, Fluffhead, David fucking Bowie...

Oh HELL yes. :thumbup In addition to the ones you mentioned I'd have to say Split Open & Melt, and ESPECIALLY Reba. When they get to the whistling coda it makes my heart nearly burst with joy.

But Bowie was, and always will be THE ONE. That damn song sends me into an air guitar frenzy every time!

A lot of music "best of" lists included albums that are quite good, but they might be downers. Or that have artistic value, but are avant garde or abstract to the point that they aren't necessarily fun. And then there's a bunch of crap that someone labeled trendy.

There's a time and a place for all of that, but I'm curious as to what albums/tracks/artists people on this board find most enjoyable. What makes you tap your foot or get up and dance? What puts a big grin on your face? What makes you roll down the windows and sing along? In short, music that's both fun and good.

Some examples of stuff I'd lump in that category:

Wilco - "Monday," "I Must Be High," "Nothing'sever..."

Beatles - Probably half the stuff they wrote

Rolling Stones - Every single with a killer Richards riff

Ryan Adams - First half of "Gold"

The Apples in Stereo - "The Bird That You Can't See"

Ben Folds Five - "Song for the Dumped"

The Clash - "Train in Vain"

Anyone else feel like playing along?

eagles greatest hits I, II

little feat

Oh HELL yes. :thumbup In addition to the ones you mentioned I'd have to say Split Open & Melt, and ESPECIALLY Reba. When they get to the whistling coda it makes my heart nearly burst with joy.

But Bowie was, and always will be THE ONE. That damn song sends me into an air guitar frenzy every time!

i very much enjoy Lawnboy. Coil, Reba, Antelope....they don't make 'em like that anymore!

Well, probably my own albums...

99814310fca0cbd2da341010.L._SL500_AA300_.jpg41YWRmC9PNL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

I think that pretty much fits the definition/spirit of this thread to a "T".

We always called them "sunny day" albums. Records you wanted to listen to on and 80 degree day with the windows down.

Albums:

R.E.M. - Lifes Rich Pageant, Green

Beach Boys - Pet Sounds, Sunflower (and just about anything else)

Steely Dan - Gaucho (Babylon Sisters at 7pm with cool breeze, nothing better)

Songs:

They Don't Know - Kirsty McColl version or Tracy Ullman version, doesn't matter

Grateful Dead - Eyes of the World 3/29/90

Warren Zevon - Desperado's Under Eaves

There's a ton more but that's what popped into my head 1st..

PYT - Michael Jackson

I never really listened to MJ (save for all the radio play when I was younger). Never purchased an album of his or anything (save for Jackson 5 graetest hits or something). Anyway, my gal has a MJ greatest hits-type cd she pops in on car rides sometimes and the guy wrote some pretty amazing tunes, PYT being at or near the top. You can't help but groove to a lot of his stuff...

I'll second NRBQ, as well. I find a lot of their albums spotty (some clunkers mixed in with some excellent stuff), but overall, excellent band with some great, fun, bar room-like vibes.

Lots of Phish, as well: in oparticulat, NICU, cover of Loving Cup, Guyute, First Tube, Fluffhead, etc.

Just about any GD tune will set me in a good mood and get my head straight, too.

Little Feat's Waiting for Columbus and Dixie Chicken

Sam Bush's Ice Caps: Peaks of Telluride

De la Soul's 3 feet High and Risin'

and tons more....really, it's an endless list, isn't it?

We always called them "sunny day" albums. Records you wanted to listen to on and 80 degree day with the windows down.

Albums:

R.E.M. - Lifes Rich Pageant, Green

Beach Boys - Pet Sounds, Sunflower (and just about anything else)

Steely Dan - Gaucho (Babylon Sisters at 7pm with cool breeze, nothing better)

Songs:

They Don't Know - Kirsty McColl version or Tracy Ullman version, doesn't matter

Grateful Dead - Eyes of the World 3/29/90

Warren Zevon - Desperado's Under Eaves

There's a ton more but that's what popped into my head 1st..

i love the gaucho album. the song gaucho is great too. also, love sunflower as well as surf's up. good calls. now, is that Eyes on without a net? that is a great live disc. i'm partial to the eyes in the grateful dead movie.

Phish - YEM

"Water in the Sky." "Brian and Robert." "Heavy Things." "Back on the Train." The Story of the Ghost and Farmhouse are pretty much my Phish favorites.

I would definitely throw Weezer - Blue Album & Pinkerton - on this list. I really enjoy those albums.

Both, plus "Suzanne" and "Jamie."

41GTK8464SL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Yes! And "Energy" and "Skyway" from New Magnetic Wonder.

The first few Jackson Browne records, plus Paul Simon's eponymous debut, and Van Morrison's Tupelo Honey.

Guest Ordinary Beehive

"Water in the Sky."

I fucking love Water in the Sky. Both the earlier version and the album version. The little riff to end the intro on the album version just floors me.

i love the gaucho album. the song gaucho is great too. also, love sunflower as well as surf's up. good calls. now, is that Eyes on without a net? that is a great live disc. i'm partial to the eyes in the grateful dead movie.

Thanks. Yes, that's the Eyes from Without a Net with Branford, my all time favorite nice weather song.

I've seen reviews where Gaucho is rated the "worst" of the 1st 7 Dan records. I don't see it, may be my favorite. I think Aja's probably a better record but if I had to pick a record to listen to of the 2 of them, I think I'd take Gaucho. Related exactly to the threads point, Aja has the critical acclaim but i think I enjoy Gaucho more.

As for the Beach Boys, I could have filled the list with their stuff, especially the '67 to '73 period, maybe the most under-appreciated/under-rated collection of records by a popular band.

To my ears there was always at least one perfect pop song on each XTC album (earn enough for us, mayor of simpleton, senses working overtime, etc.)

Even after 20-odd yrs I still get a ton of enjoyment out of The Stone Roses S/T