Wilco on The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson May 10

This song is awesome. I liked it on the album and live when I saw them back in June... ahh how long it's been... I liked this performance too.

Glenn is a monster on the kit. Even on the quieter tunes. He's always doing so much, adding so much texture. He's the man.

Deeper Down, sorry, just not that big a fan... Like someone else said here, it just never seems to "take off"...

In my thinking, you go on these shows to draw in new fans. Maybe a more "commercial sounding" / straight forward "rock" song would've been a better choise? I'll Fight? You Never Know? Bull? Ah, I'm just a schlub, what do I know!?!?!

Man, not a lot of love for Deeper Down here. True, it never takes off and is not a particularly hard-hitting tune, but I think there's a lot of interesting stuff going on in it. The lyrics, the dark melody, and Glenn's superb but subtle drumming make it a great song IMO.

Song kinda stinks. I still have no clue why there isn't more love/performances of "I'll Fight."

Are Wilco really on Twitter? Yuck.

Man, not a lot of love for Deeper Down here. True, it never takes off and is not a particularly hard-hitting tune, but I think there's a lot of interesting stuff going on in it. The lyrics, the dark melody, and Glenn's superb but subtle drumming make it a great song IMO.

It is a great song. Just not the song they should have played after being introduced as "the best rock band working in the world today". (And Ferguson was absolutely sincere)

To seal that the deal for that kind of introduction they should have played Bull Black Nova.

Guest Speed Racer

Does John play keyboards on this song also? It seemed like there was a Korg to his far left. Maybe it was Pat's from One Wing.

--Mike

Maybe? The man's gotta try to stay awake some how during that song.

It is a great song. Just not the song they should have played after being introduced as "the best rock band working in the world today". (And Ferguson was absolutely sincere)

To seal that the deal for that kind of introduction they should have played Bull Black Nova.

Agreed. I was really hoping for BBN myself. You gotta love Craig's taste in music though. I hope he has them on the show again soon. Maybe with a new song...

I haven't seen the whole show yet. It's on my DVR. I watched the intro on the youtube clip and I found it interesting that Craig mentioned the Solid Sound Festival when apparently One Wing was shot way back in January. It's entirely possible that Craig filmed that at some point after Wilco was on and not even in the studio. Unless, of course the band told the show about the Solid Sound Festival way back in January.

I know that when I saw Craig (both Kilborn & Ferguson 03 & 06) the musical acts were filmed first after the warm up comic. Then the crew breaks down the equipment that the band leaves behind, so that Craig can do his opening monolog. Edit: When it gets to the point in the show where Craig is supposed to be at his desk and announce the band there's really no band setup because that already happened. The "Applause" sign goes off to give the sense that the band is actually right there.

So my point (after all this) is that imagine going to a taping of Craig and he does a 30 second introduction of Wilco and there's no band in the studio. That would suck if you were a fan of the band. :ohwell

Lastly, if that was indeed shot all in January I'm surprised no one came on here to tell us about a summer festival that would have Wilco and furthermore that the band did (allegedly) 2 songs. Who knows...maybe they did one more for a future air date?

I would hope that since Wilco employs a publicist that she would have handled this. I seem to recall reading something about the Spin magazine cover story that their publicist was on-site (in the Tweedy home) to handle things. So she was probably there at Craig Ferguson as well. Cool job, no?

And for the record, I love Deeper Down. Since hearing it on day #1. I thought it was a very good performance.

Guest Speed Racer

their publicist was on-site (in the Tweedy home) to handle things.

Like, dishes and cleaning and stuff? If so, I need to get myself a publicist.

No, silly! :lol Some of the photo shoot was in their home. There were shots of Jeff jamming with his kids. I think a youtube thingy too. However, I am not able to look for a link ("working" hahahah)

They were at the hot dog place too. That's probably what most people remember. Sorry to be unclear. :blush

I thought the performance was great and rewinded the dvd immediately to hear it again, but I guess they play their more accesible songs on late night shows, at least they didn't play You & I (they did that on Conan though I think).

I think you'd be surprised how much show closer performances are shot in advance, I know Conan made a quip about Bon Jovi being backstage during a x-mas show (if I remember correctly) laughing at the jokes hinting that it was all make-belief; the "live" element. He'd say stuff like 'lets get a camera backstage so we can see how Richie Samboa liked that one".

I don't know what "core enough" means, but I just think the immediate need to jump on these things is silly. I assume they're just posting tour dates and stuff, which in my "core enough" opinion is cool. I just can't stand artists who use Twitter to display their lives. That ain't core.

it's obvious.

junior five doesn't think it's core enough.