Barrington Living Room Show, May 15, 2010

Here's the setlist:

Cissy Strut

Say You Miss Me

The Long Cut

The Late Greats (Kicking Television version)

Sonny Feeling

One By One

Sin City

Wheels

Country Disappeared

At My Window Sad And Lonely

Remember The Mountain Bed

What's The World Got In Store

Sky Blue Sky

Ripple

Brokedown Palace

Give Back The Key To My Heart

Happy Birthday (a capella, for Aimee, Andrew and Amy)

Joe DiMaggio Done It Again

Simple Twist Of Fate

Fatal Wound

Poor Places

Hell Is Chrome

Handshake Drugs

You & I

Lost Love

Can't Keep From Talking

Magazine Called Sunset

Misunderstood

Gun

The Last Time

All played with some combination of students from the Old Town School of Folk Music

Jeff & Sue brought Spencer :yay who played drums on Cissy Strut, Simple Twist Of Fate, Hell Is Chrome, Handshake Drugs and The Last Time

I'm sure pictures will be posted soon.

I'd like to apologize to the people on this forum whom I had to disappoint (you know who you are). We had a huge number of people last year, and Sue wasn't happy about it, so this year we had to watch the numbers closely. It was pretty much just performers and their significant others.

Ken - What an awesome night. Thanks again for everything. Joe DiMaggio's Done It Again - not performed since the recording session...

Looks like fun. I don't recognize Sin City or Wheels. Are those covers?

Gram Parsons covers...

No worries Ken :cheekkiss Looks like a rockin' time was had by all. And with Spencer! Maybe he and Sammy will keep up the LRS tradition :lol

Jeff said (I don't know if he was kidding) that Spencer would do next year's auction. I told Sue that Spencer should pick 30 songs, we'd learn them, then go over to their house and do the show. :lol

I'd never spent any significant time with Spencer before, but he is the most well-mannered, articulate, and talented 14-year old I have ever met. I loved his banter with Jeff. Examples:

Ken: "Jeff, do you want another guitar stand?"

Jeff: "Sure, if you've got one."

Spencer: "You're a stand hog."

Jeff (explaining why he brought the particuar axes of the evening): "All my other guitars are on their way to Finland."

Spencer: "What do you mean, 'all your other guitars'?"

At one point, right before they started a set, Jeff called out: "Spencer, could you please get me a Diet Coke?" Then he turned it into a joke: "Son... go fetch me a Diet Coke!" and segued into a story about how his dad used to have him bring beer. Someone got a D.C. and passed it to Spencer, who carried it up to Jeff and, just before giving it to him, shook it violently. As he walked away he said: "I learned that from you!"

Brokedown Palace :omg

I need to hear this!!!

A lot of people in the Wilco Ensemble also participate from time to time in the Grateful Dead Ensemble at the Old Town School. We picked this song because it segues directly from "Ripple" on the American Beauty album (and also because it has pedal steel, and is just generally an incredibly beautiful song). The instructor from the G.D. Ensemble (who is good friends with the Tweedys) was there and did the lead vocal, but Jeff sang harmonies and handled all the chord changes. He was clearly familiar with the song.

Jeff said that "Grateful Dead fans are the reason why Wilco fills stadiums." He also said that Bob Weir is "the biggest Wilco fan." Apparently, the two keep in touch regularly.

Jeff said (I don't know if he was kidding) that Spencer would do next year's auction. I told Sue that Spencer should pick 30 songs, we'd learn them, then go over to their house and do the show. :lol

I'd never spent any significant time with Spencer before, but he is the most well-mannered, articulate, and talented 14-year old I have ever met. I loved his banter with Jeff. Examples:

Ken: "Jeff, do you want another guitar stand?"

Jeff: "Sure, if you've got one."

Spencer: "You're a stand hog."

Jeff (explaining why he brought the particuar axes of the evening): "All my other guitars are on their way to Finland."

Spencer: "What do you mean, 'all your other guitars'?"

At one point, right before they started a set, Jeff called out: "Spencer, could you please get me a Diet Coke?" Then he turned it into a joke: "Son... go fetch me a Diet Coke!" and segued into a story about how his dad used to have him bring beer. Someone got a D.C. and passed it to Spencer, who carried it up to Jeff and, just before giving it to him, shook it violently. As he walked away he said: "I learned that from you!"

Hahaha awesome! I love boys and their dads!!!

A lot of people in the Wilco Ensemble also participate from time to time in the Grateful Dead Ensemble at the Old Town School. We picked this song because it segues directly from "Ripple" on the American Beauty album (and also because it has pedal steel, and is just generally an incredibly beautiful song). The instructor from the G.D. Ensemble (who is good friends with the Tweedys) was there and did the lead vocal, but Jeff sang harmonies and handled all the chord changes. He was clearly familiar with the song.

Jeff said that "Grateful Dead fans are the reason why Wilco fills stadiums." He also said that Bob Weir is "the biggest Wilco fan." Apparently, the two keep in touch regularly.

Great info, thanks! I need to do some research on the Old Town School. I live right near there and might be something cool to get involved in.

I must be honest and say I was a bit disappointed to hear Jeff wasn't on lead vocal but oh well. I'm sure it was beautiful. That song has a lot on meaning for me on many levels. It's a song I want to be played at my funeral (morbid, sorry). Thanks again for the info.

Yeah, no worries Ken. ;) You have been kind to sell us a seat when you could. I actually was at a lovely small show (50 people) to hear a solo performance by Bill Mallonnee of Vigilantes Of Love right here in Fort Wayne that night, very special too, as my 82-year-old mother also attended with me, and it was her first experience seeing an acoustic folk music performance, and said she had never seen anyone up that close playing guitar. :wub

And a big plus for her? "I could understand all the lyrics!" :lol

I. That song has a lot on meaning for me on many levels. It's a song I want to be played at my funeral (morbid, sorry).

Same here. That's the one Jerry tune I want played at my funeral. I would love to have heard this. Glad everybody had a great time.

Living Room shows are no longer circulated, they were for the first couple of years, but we got word from Jeff through Sue that the recordings really were meant to be kept among the people that attended the shows. I'd point you in the direction of that thread, but frankly it isn't very fun to read.

--Mike

The "problem" is that Jeff is very relaxed and candid during these shows. I guess that's why people pay what they do to be entertained by one. Accordingly, he says a lot of things (like commentary about various artists or political themes) that might be "misconstrued" or otherwise used against him. You should see the looks that Sue sometimes gives him during these things :lol Anyway, if somebody ever released a completely edited version that consisted only of the performance, I doubt he'd care, but the "formal" deal with him is that the recorded version is only to be distributed to those in attendance. Sorry.