Now Playing: June 2010

What's your opinion on this? I'm seriously underwhelmed at this point. The whole futuristic thing is just annoying - I can't get past it. I'm sure there are some good songs on this disc, it's just laborious getting to them.

Kinda... yeah.

Although I like the band enough to continue to spin this one for a while longer and give it a chance to sink in and grow on me.

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

512LjOH15fL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

What's your opinion on this? I'm seriously underwhelmed at this point. The whole futuristic thing is just annoying - I can't get past it. I'm sure there are some good songs on this disc, it's just laborious getting to them.

Kinda... yeah.

Although I like the band enough to continue to spin this one for a while longer and give it a chance to sink in and grow on me.

It's starting... I am now officially digging this.

There are some songs that I am digging more than others... the ones that go lighter on the vocoder and disco beats are the ones that I am enjoying more, but even those are starting to sink their hooks into me.

Give it another few listens and see what happens.

512LjOH15fL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

It's starting... I am now officially digging this.

There are some songs that I am digging more than others... the ones that go lighter on the vocoder and disco beats are the ones that I am enjoying more, but even those are starting to sink their hooks into me.

Give it another few listens and see what happens.

I will try. I think if it were more like the last Marbles LP, I would have dug it quite a bit. One cool thing about this record - I did talk my local shop into giving me a copy of the Apples 12" freebie with the cover songs on it since they haven't sold many copies of the record (if any) a few weeks ago. I bought a used copy of it on the day it came out at the record store, but since they didn't sell any more copies....I wiggled my way into getting the free LP. :pirate

NP:

517UU-7OrlL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Again, another "used" copy on the day of release.

Today, I still have the You Am I and McCartney albums left over from yesterday, plus:

f19809cydlt.jpgc6201499967.jpg

Caetano Veloso - Caetano Veloso (Tropicália)

Jimmy Cliff - Jimmy Cliff

51l2R2BYrhL._SL500_.jpg

I remember reading that those guys were freezing their asses off when they took that picture. It looks like it. I can't imagine what it would have been like to be a drummer and listening to this album for the first time. Good stuff.

I can't imagine what it would have been like to be a drummer and listening to this album for the first time. Good stuff.

No doubt. I remember hearing "The Ox" for the first time. I thought I'd died and gone to heaven.

Desmond-Dekker-007-Shanty-Town-505101.jpg murvinpolicedeluxecd%5Bekm%5D331x300%5Bekm%5D.jpg

Desmond Dekker & The Aces - 007 Shanty Town

Junior Murvin - Police & Thieves (Deluxe Edition)

you need to get yourself into PopTodd's "rocksteady" thread. although, he should rename it to incorporate a few other styles. what is that Desmond Dekker? a compilation?

I must have missed that thread, will look for it now.

The Desmond Dekker is his first record (released in 1967.) It just got reissued on CD, picked it up the other day at the store :). Needless to say it's f***ing awesome!