Respect for drummers

I am a guitar player and I have made my fair share of drummer jokes in the past. But, the fact of the matter is that there are drummers out there who DEFINE the sound of the bands that they are in. Say what you will about Ringo, but The Beatles would not have sounded like The Beatles without Ringo behind the kit. (And yes, I know that Paul played on a couple of tunes and that they had a studio guy on another song early on. Nonetheless...)

And in this thread, I just wanted to post video evidence of another drummer who here, without the band that he became famous with, proves that it was HE who really defined their sound. Even though Levon Helm was also the primary singer in The Band, just listen to the opening fill of this song that he did on Letterman a couple of years ago -- with a completely DIFFERENT band -- and tell me that it does not sound like classic stuff from The Band.

Righteous!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZaU3VtMfoM

Going to see Levon in a couple of weeks and I cannot wait!

A good band with a great drummer* is better than a good band with a good drummer. Every time.

*Great Drummer: A drummer who plays appropriately for the song/style of music, while playing with a style of his/her own.

A high degree of technical skill can be beneficial, but is not a requirement in most styles of music. Moe Tucker was just as good in the Velvet Underground as Billy Cobham was in Mahavishnu Orchestra, but neither of them would have been able to cut it if they traded gigs.

Generally I think a drum solo at any concert is time to head to the bathroom or get a beer but a good drummer is absolutely key to a band.

As someone who has auditioned many a band member, drummers do seem to be a different breed of cat altogether.

Generally I think a drum solo at any concert is time to head to the bathroom or get a beer but a good drummer is absolutely key to a band.

As someone who has auditioned many a band member, drummers do seem to be a different breed of cat altogether.

that last sentence is especially true. i'd love to find a drummer who doesn't want to solo at some point, or overplay at any point, etc. it'd be a dream come true.

Charlie Watts (Stones) is highly underrated as a drummer. His fills are flawless and subdued yet resonate perfectly for the moment in the tune. Stephen Perkins (Jane's) is an incredible drummer. There's something about have drums being the focal point (Banyan) that works well there.

A high degree of technical skill can be beneficial, but is not a requirement in most styles of music. Moe Tucker was just as good in the Velvet Underground as Billy Cobham was in Mahavishnu Orchestra, but neither of them would have been able to cut it if they traded gigs.

Great observation. I agree.

So, what happened during the commercial break on that video that caused Letterman to get so excited?

I have a sneaky suspicion it had something to do with a classic Band tune. That would get me excited.

?uestlove is amazing.

Alex Van Halen has that "brown sound" snare that gives him away every time.

I have a sneaky suspicion it had something to do with a classic Band tune. That would get me excited.

My guess is the house band played a Band tune during the commercial break, and Levon (and maybe also his band) joined in on drums and/or vocals. Would've been fun to see that. I'll bet things like that happen often enough that they could compile a great dvd of unaired performances.

A good band with a great drummer* is better than a good band with a good drummer. Every time.

whilst this is obviously true, surely it's so obvious that it's not worth saying. :lol

did you mean, an average band with a great drummer?

And in this thread, I just wanted to post video evidence of another drummer who here, without the band that he became famous with, proves that it was HE who really defined their sound. Even though Levon Helm was also the primary singer in The Band, just listen to the opening fill of this song that he did on Letterman a couple of years ago -- with a completely DIFFERENT band -- and tell me that it does not sound like classic stuff from The Band.

Righteous!

i think having Larry Campbell on lead guitar helps. i wish he'd get back with dylan!

He's not the most restrained drummer in the world, but I love me some Mitch Mitchell. Those Jimi Hendrix Experience albums just wouldn't have been the same without him.

many don't like them, but the drummer from dave matthews band, carter beauford, is likely the best i've ever seen.

That guys drumming style bugs the crap out of me. Is he good? Sure but way too busy for my taste. His drumming is actually a huge reason I can't get into DMB.

That guys drumming style bugs the crap out of me. Is he good? Sure but way too busy for my taste. His drumming is actually a huge reason I can't get into DMB.

i hear ya... carter sure is fun to watch though. on a much "simpler" side is jim eno from spoon. after seeing them live, eno made me truly appreciate what a good drummer can do for a band. definitely felt like he was the powerhouse, supplying the band's momentum. britt must like him too, as i think he's the only other founding member still in the band.

oh, and you've got to check out this clip of buddy rich, pretty ridiculous:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgaD54YcXpA

i remember watching this and being really disappointed with levon's version of tennessee jed

too slick & the horns don't fit

one of my favorite hunter-garcia songs actually & i'll take the dead's version

that said, i've been a huge helm fan since i saw him at carnegie hall at one of the old WNEW christmas concerts (late 1970s?) with the RCO All-Stars

hoping to get up to one of his barn concerns next year

Personal favorite: Bill Bruford. The guy is as tasty as they get.