What albums are flawless to you?

The following albums I would rank a 10 out of 10 and would not change these albums in anyway!

Beck-Mutations, Odelay

Ben Folds Five-Whatever and Ever Amen

Bjork- Post

Bruce Springsteen- Greetings from Asbury Park

Blur-Modern Life is Rubbish

Cure-Disintegration

Elliott Smith-Either/Or, X/O

Jayhawks-Hollywood Town Hall

Medeski Martin and Wood-Combustication

Morphine-Cure for Pain

R.E.M.-Murmur, Reckoning, Automatic

Radiohead-The Bends, Ok Computer

Sigur Ros- Ageatis Byrjun, Takk

Son Volt-Trace, Wide Swing Tremelo

Wilco-Yankee, Being There, Summerteeth

Uncle Tupelo-Still Feel Gone

U2- Achtung Baby

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This will take some more thinking, but there are a few that I can think of off the top of my head. Wouldn't change a thing...

Neutral Milk Hotel - In the Aeroplane Over the Sea

Beach Boys - Pet Sounds

Wire - Pink Flag

Guided By Voices - Alien Lanes

even w/ 'fitter happier'?

100% yes...actually it has special meaning to me as the first time I saw Radiohead live Fitter Happier was the song they walked out to. I don't know why but I still have chills every time this song pops up!

Weezer - The Blue Album

Weezer - Pinkerton

Interpol - Turn On Your Bright Lights

Pixies - Doolittle

Wilco - Summerteeth, YHF, AGIB (it's interesting how Being There is probably my favorite album, but to me it's not flawless)

Just to name a few...

NMH - In the Aeroplane

Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream and Gish

Nirvana - Nevermind and In Utero

Arcade Fire - Funeral

REM - Murmur

Weezer - Blue and Pinkerton

Pavement - Slanted and Crooked Rain

Slint - Spiderland

My Bloody Valentine - Loveless

I can't think of a completely flawless album, but a few are close.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot approaches flawlessness for me.

So does the self-titled Moby Grape album.

100% yes...actually it has special meaning to me as the first time I saw Radiohead live Fitter Happier was the song they walked out to. I don't know why but I still have chills every time this song pops up!

I didn't see the live thing, but I agree with the 100% yes. For me, OKC is modern day equivalent of Dark Side of the Moon. It all has to be in there, or it's just good songs on a good record. Those albums are both more than the sum of their parts.

I don't know about this 'flawless' business... I think that probably changes over time per listener. It's just another way of saying what you like. I mean, I find less 'flaws' in stuff I like, especially stuff I like a lot. But carry on... I do see a lot of really really good albums listed.

the only ones I can safely throw out without consideration are:

Wilco -- Yankee Hotel Foxtrot

Wilco -- A Ghost Is Born

Cowboy Junkies -- Caution Horses

hmm... good thread to ponder, though

Beach Boys - Pet Sounds

I honestly say this with no intent to be contrary for contrary's sake or to poop on others' appreciation for this album, but I just. don't. get. it. I have tried at least a dozen times to get through that album, and with a small number of exceptions (and those exceptions are brilliant, IMO) most of the album sounds like whiny drivel to me. I recognize the recording achievements and that McCartney is all crazy about it, etc. what is it that I'm missing???!!!

Guest Speed Racer

I just. don't. get. it. I have tried at least a dozen times to get through that album, and with a small number of exceptions (and those exceptions are brilliant, IMO) most of the album sounds like whiny drivel to me. I recognize the recording achievements and that McCartney is all crazy about it, etc. what is it that I'm missing???!!!

I feel the same way about Pet Sounds.

As for flawless, I guess my definition would be an album that I absolutely wouldn't change, that I can put on, walk away from the stereo, and not groan everytime "_______" pops up (like, say, "Meet Me in the Morning," or "Lily, Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts," which keep Blood on the Tracks way the hell off this list).

My albums:

Bob Dylan: Freewheelin', Bringing it All Back Home

Elliott Smith: Either/Or, XO, Figure 8, From a Basement

Wilco: YHF, AGIB

Uncle Tupelo: March, Still Feel Gone

Sleater-Kinney: The Woods

Tom Waits - Rain Dogs, Mule Variations, Frank's Wild Years, Bone Machine, Swordfishtrombones

Wilco- Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, A Ghost is Born, Summerteeth

M. Ward - Post- War

Dr. Dog - Fate, We All Belong, Shame, Shame

Bob Dylan - Blood on the Tracks, Love & Theft

As for flawless, I guess my definition would be an album that I absolutely wouldn't change, that I can put on, walk away from the stereo, and not groan everytime "_______" pops up (like, say, "Meet Me in the Morning," or "Lily, Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts," which keep Blood on the Tracks way the hell off this list).

First ones that come to mind:

Blood on the Tracks/John Welsey Harding/Love and Theft - Dylan

Some Girls - Stones

AGIB - Wilco

I honestly say this with no intent to be contrary for contrary's sake or to poop on others' appreciation for this album, but I just. don't. get. it. I have tried at least a dozen times to get through that album, and with a small number of exceptions (and those exceptions are brilliant, IMO) most of the album sounds like whiny drivel to me. I recognize the recording achievements and that McCartney is all crazy about it, etc. what is it that I'm missing???!!!

I can't say what you're "missing' in it; you just don't like it.

As for what hit me so hard, and why it's so perfect all the way through:

The melodies are nothing short of miraculous... and the consistent feel that the band (Brian) maintains throughout, from beginning to end, very simply sucks me in and won't let me go until the final note has faded. Plus, (and this is a rarity for a Beach Boys album) the lyrics actually strike a chord with me. Yes, they are simple and straightforward.. anti-poetry, perhaps. But, the way these straightforward, even simplistic stories are communicated, is just right... at least for me.

Something like "Wouldn't It Be Nice?", "God Only Knows", or "You Still Believe In Me" are my prime examples, but even something like the cover of "Sloop John B", just fits... it's all about the end of youth and innocence. And I guess I'm just a sucker for stuff like that.

Plus, when it sounds so beautiful...

Just where I'm coming from.

Bruce Springsteen - Born to Run

De La Soul - 3 Ft. High & Rising