Sufjan Returns!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's...interesting so far. Very dense for lack of a better word. I think it will be like the Animal Collective album for me, takes a few listens for the melodys to start shining through but i'm liking it so far.

Not sure about the use of Auto tune. That's getting tired these days.

Here is the email they sent out:

Hi:

(A brief foreword: this is the only email you'll get from us. We have your email because you bought Sufjan Stevens' EP on Bandcamp. If you do like to hear more from us you can sign up for our email list here. Which we wish you would.)

Thanks for supporting us and Sufjan with your purchase of his EP All Delighted People. Please keep reading but to cut to the chase, you can preorder Sufjan Stevens' new full-length, The Age of Adz, from Bandcamp for $8 right here:

http://sufjanstevens.bandcamp.com/album/the-age-of-adz

We love getting good music into your hands. We think it makes you happy, and that makes us happy. And that's why we're writing this email: to make everyone happy. It's admittedly a long email but we hope you'll stick with us for at least a little while because we want to explain something.

On October 12th we are proud to release Sufjan Stevens' first song-based full-length album in 5 years, The Age of Adz. We think it's one of the best things we've heard in a long time and we're hoping you'll buy it.

So. We have it on good authority that Amazon will be selling The Age of Adz for a very low price on release date, not unlike they did with Arcade Fire's recent (and really terrific) The Suburbs. We're not 100% sure Amazon will do this, but mostly sure.

We have mixed feelings about discounted pricing. Like we said, we love getting good music into the hands of good people, and when a price is low, more people buy. A low price will introduce a lot of people to Sufjan's music and to this wonderful album. For that, we're grateful.

But we also feel like the work that our artists produce is worth more than a cost of a latte. We value the skill, love, and time they've put into making their records. And we feel that our work too, in promotion and distribution, is also valuable and worthwhile.

That's why we personally feel that physical products like EPs should sell for around $7 and full-length CDs for around $10-12 We think digital EPs should sell for around $5 and full-length digital albums for something like $8.

So you might wonder why we'd "allow" Amazon to sell it for lower than that.

There are several reasons why, but mostly? It's because we believe in you. We trust you and in your ability to make your own choice.

It is $3.99 today on Amazon. I made the choice to buy it.

Either I’m getting old or bands “experimenting” with electronics is getting old – or both. There are some lovely songs on this release, but many of them are simply buried beneath blips and bleeps and drum machine beats that wouldn’t sound out of place on a Justin Bieber CD.

I saw the first show of the tour last night in Montreal and it was amazing.

He had an 11-piece band, and they pulled off everything from Age Of Adz and All Delighted People EP, including all of the 25 minute Impossible Soul, yes 25 minutes.

Ended the main set with Chicago (at that point the only thing played not off of Adz or ADP) and came back for a two song solo encore of Concerning The UFO..., and John Wayne Gacy.

I don't think I've seen a show with that much musicianship and the amount of demand on all 11 people to play that music, just insane. I highly highly recommend that if anyone can see him on this tour, do so, it was that good.

He had an 11-piece band, and they pulled off everything from Age Of Adz and All Delighted People EP, including all of the 25 minute Impossible Soul, yes 25 minutes.

Ended the main set with Chicago (at that point the only thing played not off of Adz or ADP) and came back for a two song solo encore of Concerning The UFO..., and John Wayne Gacy.

I don't think I've seen a show with that much musicianship and the amount of demand on all 11 people to play that music, just insane. I highly highly recommend that if anyone can see him on this tour, do so, it was that good.

this is good to know. i am really enjoying adz and hope he makes it to nashville.

• 4 weeks later...

I saw the show last night in Boston and I'd agree with everything you wrote. Great musicianship, lots of pageantry (balloons, confetti, beach balls), and lots of fun. He opened with Seven Swans but then the rest of the set was Age Of Adz and All Delighted People until he closed the main set with Chicago. I have mixed feelings about the new album but live it was really great. It helped that I was in the third row but I think it was one of those shows that makes the entire theater feel involved.

I was at the show in Richmond this past Tuesday and the Age of Adz material was just amazing. I loved the ep, but I did not really like the full length that much before the show. Just didn't get it. I was really not prepared for that show to be as good as it was. Just wow.

After the show I was commenting to the friend that I went with that the record was almost like demos for what they played at the show.

• 4 years later...

If his buzz is diminished, it is by his own doing imo.

He was high around Illinoise and then was part of the soundtrack for the hugely popular film, Little Miss Sunshine.

I believe when he finally came back around circa Age of Adz, he said he was sick or something though.

I was just not that crazy about the Age of Adz. I was glad he was back, but his choice of more 'cheesy' electronic sounds as opposed to analog

electronic sounds was not really my cup of tea.

I will definitely get the album when it comes out.

• 1 month later...

Preordered! Tickets to show purchased! Love this.  

http://music.sufjan.com/album/carrie-lowell

Sufjan Stevens, "Should Have Known Better" (Official Audio)

Sufjan Stevens, "No Shade in the Shadow of the Cross" (Official Audio)

Beautiful songs.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...