Going to rent Green Room tonight. I liked the director's other movie: Blue Ruin, very much.

Great film. I'd recommend using subtitles because that's my one criticism of the film. Everyone sort of mumbles character names and it's tough to tell who's who. It's extremely violent and claustrophobic. It does take a bit to get going though.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great film. I'd recommend using subtitles because that's my one criticism of the film. Everyone sort of mumbles character names and it's tough to tell who's who. It's extremely violent and claustrophobic. It does take a bit to get going though.

Good advice on putting on subtitles. Buncha mumblers. I thought the film was merely OK. I could never quite tell WTF was going on, and I wasn't invested enough to care about unwrapping the mystery. I thought Blue Ruin was much better. 

My wife was out of town last week so I caught with some series that  I've missed.  Watched the first season of "Bloodlines" which was much better than I thought it would be. And I watched the first four episodes of "OJ: Made in America" which was spectacular and should win some awards. I'm looking forward to watching Episode 5.

I;'m going through another Fawlty Towers phase.... again!

My friend and I, when our significant other has gotten mad at one of us, always do Manuel's "She go... CRAZY!"

It's been a long time since I've watched an episode. I'll have to rectify that.

I watched Kurt Cobain: Montage of Heck last night. I really enjoyed it and thought it was very creatively done, particularly the way they filmed his handwritten lyrics/notes/drawings. I was glad to see they did not spend much time on his tragic death.

"Gleason." I can't recommend this film enough. It's a powerful depiction (the good, the bad & the ugly) of the decline of a former professional athlete at the hands of ALS (Lou Gehrig's Disease) and how it affects him and those closest to him.

Interesting. Cant wait for Blue Ruin.

I thought who ever did the set design did a great job of capturing the feel of the Punk scene with all the stickers, tee shirts, graffiti and whatnot.

Good advice on putting on subtitles. Buncha mumblers. I thought the film was merely OK. I could never quite tell WTF was going on, and I wasn't invested enough to care about unwrapping the mystery. I thought Blue Ruin was much better. 

Sorry, I was away on vacation and I totally missed this. I don't recall any mystery. I'm definitely going to rent this again (maybe at a 99 cent rental) and put on the subtitles. 

"Green Room" last night. Pretty cool flick.

Tonight, "Blue Ruin"!

Blue Ruin is a great film. I'd love to watch it again. 

I really liked Blue Ruin. Didn't care for Green Room.

Interesting. Cant wait for Blue Ruin.

I thought who ever did the set design did a great job of capturing the feel of the Punk scene with all the stickers, tee shirts, graffiti and whatnot.

Green Room has a lot of green color and Blue Ruin has a lot of blue color. I found Blue Ruin to be more visually appealing and a lot more visually innovative. The green forest around the club in Green Room was a bit too easy. I wonder what he's up to next. I rented Murder Party (his 1st flick from 2007) on iTunes for like $3. I'll watch it over the weekend. It looks like a fun slasher film. 

Captain Fantastic - Matthew Ross (American Psycho's Luis Caruthers & Silicon Valley's Gavin Belson) directed this really stunning film that raised a lot of questions about parenting and had his characters mine this question. Is it insane to take his children off the grid and have them learn to hunt in order to eat? What type of social interaction skills with strangers will these children lack? Viggo Mortensen was awesome. 

Too Late - Dennis Hauck's debut is a neo-film noir that was shot on film in 5 22 minute individual takes with no hidden cuts or editing, but clever transitions. I'll admit that the film was written to sound like dialog that film characters speak, but it works as an homage to the genre and was hugely entertaining to watch. The cinematography is outstanding and the whole production is a technical achievement. John Hawkes plays a private investigator and that's all that I'll say about the plot. I believe that this only played in theaters that had film projectors. It's available on iTunes and doesn't have any DVD planned yet. I can't wait to see what Hauck does next. 

Hell Or High Water - an extremely entertaining bank robbery/chase film set in Texas. Chris Pine, Ben Foster, Jeff Bridges and Gil Birmingham all deliver fine performances. The script was well done and I enjoyed the interplay between Bridges & Birmingham as Texas Rangers. There were a lot of Texan moments that got laughs in a New England art house theater. Nick Cave & Warren Ellis handle music duties.

Elvis & Nixon - this film really took off once Michael Shannon's Elvis meets with Kevin Spacey's Richard Nixon. It's all pretty much speculation as to what was said between those two. The first hour deals with Elvis trying to meet with President Nixon. Shannon's Elvis is ok. He doesn't really talk like him, but he looks like 1970s Elvis & has the mannerisms down. Spacey's Nixon borders on caricature, but it surprisingly works.