REM, Radiohead, Wilco

REM, Radiohead & Wilco....3 veteran bands who garner much talk on this board....are all recording or finishing recording their next record. Hopefully all 3 will be out by late Spring 2011.

1. Which of these 3 records do you look forward to most?

2. Which do you expect to be the best?

3. Can REM eek out one last great record after a string of so-so ones?

Me?

1. Wilco. I've got a gut-feeling they're gonna try something a little different and less "pretty" and more edgy and/or funky. That would be a good thing.

2. Radiohead. From what I've read, Radiohead is really hunkering down and serious about whatever record they release next. Hail to Thief sounded kind of rushed and could have been edited down. Rainbows was cohesive and great.

3. Probably not. Stipe's lyrics seem too litral and forced lately, and Buck/Mills seem to be mailing it in half the time. I hope I'm wrong. "Accelerate" was a noble thought, but even though it rocked and sounded more spontaneous, it had a sameness to it. It didn't have the REM magic. Around the Sun DID have some great REM moments, but it was mostly a train wreck.

I'll go ahead and post up here in the 'civil' section of the thread. Interesting questions, I can see how those three would be lumped together.

I admit I feel kinda old when bands I once thought of as new and edgy are classified as 'veterans'... *sigh*

1. Wilco

2. Wilco

3. No

I am a longtime fan of all 3, but Wilco and Radiohead are only ones I see making good records right now. I also thought Accelerate had a 'sameness' (good term) that didn't keep it in my rotation very long. I am pretty excited about a new Radiohead record, since I thought Rainbows was a lot better than Thief. Although both had some great songs, I don't think either was a great record. But overall, I think that Wilco is due for a great one, and that's what I'm expecting.

I'm always curious to hear new Wilco and Radiohead. The last R.E.M. record I really liked was "New Adventures in Hi-Fi" which came out in 1996. I still check out their new ones but I come to them with very little excitement or anticipation.

ill be honest i think wilco NEEDS to make a good one. While I enjoy the last two they took a while to grow on me.

Want to balance the lack of love R.E.M. has gotten on this thread a little. I thought Accelerate was excellent, the best batch of songs since Automatic. I happen to love Up and really like HiFi, Reveal was Ok too (Around the Sun sucked.) If Accelerate had come out in '94 instead of Monster, I think they would have held on to the fans they picked up with Out of Time and Automatic. Monster just didn't have very good songs and combined with the glam/noise approach they took, they turned off a lot of people who never came back.

I think the sameness people attibute to Accelerate is due to the loud mastering taking a lot of the dynamic range away.

As for Wilco, to me they haven't made a great record since Jay left and I don't expect them to start now. I know I'll get flamed from the Ghost is Born crowd but that's just my opinion. I happen to really like AGIB and SBS but I don't think they are great. WTA to me is Meh and that has me nervous for the next one.

I like Radiohead but they don't interest me nearly as much as R.E.M. and Wilco.

1. R.E.M.

2. R.E.M. although I'm hoping Wilco will surprise and really utilize that tight 6 piece in a way I'm not sure they have over the last 2 records.

3. Don't agree that the last one was so so but will say yes.

1. I love all 3 of these bands, but it's Wilco hands down. Jeff's songs end up meaning more to me personally than Radiohead's and even those who don't like the post Jay material have to concede that it absolutely blows REM's post Berry output out of the f'ing water!

2. Slight edge to Radiohead over Wilco. I'll buy REM's the day it comes out, but they just aren't in the same league in recent history.

3. I'll give it a shot, but no. I liked Up & Accelerate around the time they came out, but Reveal and Around The Sun are absolute autopilot. I did think it helped them the Accelerate was short and have a bad feeling this one is going to be way too long.

Wilco. With this lineup they could turn out something really special - what that could be I haven't a clue. That's why I'm really looking forward to it.

I hope it will be Wilco, but I'm pretty sure it'll be Radiohead. I bet that a year down the road I'll still be listening to the new Radiohead. Wilco? I'll probably play it to death within a few weeks of it's release.

Can they? sure. Will they? nope.

Guest Speed Racer

1. Wilco; with the trajectory laid down by SBS and W(TA), isn't that the definition of insanity?

2. None of the above? Radiohead has never excited me, and REM is now where Wilco will end up if they continue like this, so it's Wilco by default, but I know in my heart that it will be more like SBS and W(TA) than YHF or AGIB.

3. God no.

REM, Radiohead & Wilco....3 veteran bands who garner much talk on this board....are all recording or finishing recording their next record. Hopefully all 3 will be out by late Spring 2011.

1. Wilco

2. Wilco, because R.E.M.'s recent track record ain't so great, and I still just don't get Radiohead.

3. Hope springs eternal.

1. Wilco - I'm eternally optimistic, and I liked SBS and W(TA)

2. Radiohead - They can't seem to make a bad record

3. I expect something like Accelerate - I will listen to it a few times, like a few songs, then it goes into storage and I move on to something else.

Either Radiohead or Wilco. I'll probably be more excited for the new Wilco, because I have more of a history with the band, and care about them more than Radiohead. Having said that, Radiohead's last album dwarfed the best of SBS and WTA combined in my opinion.

Radiohead.

Hmm... is Bill Berry still available.

--Mike

]Hmm... is Bill Berry still available.

I wish.

I wonder if there's ever been a more important drummer to a band. I've read that he had a pretty big say in the studio. I think he was always about getting to the hooks in songs and punching them up. I don't know this for fact. But it's undeniable how important he was to R.E.M.

I'm listening to "Hi-Fi" right now and, besides "Up", it shames everything they've done since in my opinion. I can't help but think that Berry was much more than just the time-keeper.

I wish.

I wonder if there's ever been a more important drummer to a band. I've read that he had a pretty big say in the studio. I think he was always about getting to the hooks in songs and punching them up. I don't know this for fact. But it's undeniable how important he was to R.E.M.

I'm listening to "Hi-Fi" right now and, besides "Up", it shames everything they've done since in my opinion. I can't help but think that Berry was much more than just the time-keeper.

His backup vocal parts on the first several albums are absolutely essential.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

1. Wilco

2. Radiohead

3. The majority of the world yawns at the prospect of a new REM record.