After just a few listens, this record has such a familiar feel to me...almost like I'd heard it way more times than I actually have. I wonder if it's just the traditional instrumentation and rhythms of the songs. The last time I experienced this was with Beck's Sea Change. It was like I knew the songs immediately. I never had to go through the period of getting to know it. I can't decide if it's a good thing, or if I'll find the album boring soon b/c of finding such an immediate connection with it. Having said all that, I really like The King is Dead...

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope Jenny makes a full and speedy recovery. It seems like they caught it early.

There is a lot of love for the new record which is great to see. I am really enjoying it. It feels like a timeless album and works really well in a vinyl format (i.e two sides of four/five songs). It doesn't overstay its welcome either. Good to see artists not trying to cram too much material onto an album. Just 'cos a CD can hold 80 minutes there's no reason to bung everything on it.

I hope Jenny makes a full and speedy recovery. It seems like they caught it early.

There is a lot of love for the new record which is great to see. I am really enjoying it. It feels like a timeless album and works really well in a vinyl format (i.e two sides of four/five songs). It doesn't overstay its welcome either. Good to see artists not trying to cram too much material onto an album. Just 'cos a CD can hold 80 minutes there's no reason to bung everything on it.

Agreed about Jenny - I get the sense that she is a strong person, though

Love the new album, and hey, I really liked Hazards in a different way too, both really well done in their own elements

The Columbus show a few weeks back was very good, we got "The Tain" opener too, and "The Mariner's Revenge Song" at the end

Agreed about Jenny - I get the sense that she is a strong person, though

Love the new album, and hey, I really liked Hazards in a different way too, both really well done in their own elements

The Columbus show a few weeks back was very good, we got "The Tain" opener too, and "The Mariner's Revenge Song" at the end

Yeah 'Hazards' seems to be getting a load of stick which, whilst understandable, is unjustified. Taken as what it is I think its a fine piece of work. There is probably a bit more filler on that record but alot of concept albums suffer from that. Wanting Comes in Waves and Hazards Part IV arevery very strong pieces of music.

I didn't have any problem with Hazards, I thought it was an improvement over The Crane Wife.

That one seemed to have too many long songs, and not really cover any new territory from the previous albums.

I could never get through a straight listen to it I don't think.

• 4 months later...

A new Decemberists EP on the way. 'Long Live the King' to be released on the 1st November.

http://pitchfork.com/news/44167-the-decemberists-reveal-details-of-forthcoming-ep/

01 E. Watson

02 Foregone

03 Burying Davy

04 I 4 U & U 4 Me

05 Row Jimmy (Grateful Dead cover)

06 Sonnet

This should be good. 'The King is Dead' is still up there as my album of the year in 2011.

• 6 years later...

A couple of new songs by the Decemberists: a cover of Big Star's "Jesus Christ" and a song the lyrics for which were written by Lin-Manuel Miranda of Hamilton fame:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aM4Pz6Ccrro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVmVVkbx3jE

A couple of new songs by the Decemberists: a cover of Big Star's "Jesus Christ" and a song the lyrics for which were written by Lin-Manuel Miranda of Hamilton fame:

I love the Ben Franklin song. Now how can I get played in my son's 8th grade history class? (they start the Revolution next quarter)

• 5 weeks later...

New album and tour announced this morning. Described as being influenced by New Order and Roxy Music. They're one of my favorite bands, so I'm bummed that they (again) won't be making a stop in NOLA. Given that I've been working part-time while taking care of my dad, I don't have the funds to travel for a show. Still I'm looking forward to the new album!

https://www.stereogum.com/1978877/hear-the-first-single-from-new-decemberists-album-inspired-by-new-order-and-roxy-music/music/

I was telling my wife this morning when the album got announced that it should be good since every other Decemberists record is good.

The Crane Wife - Good

The Hazards of Love - Not good

The King is Dead - Good

What A Terrible World - Not good

But after hearing the new single, it appears this one also might be.... not good.

Also to be fair I didn't really listen to What A Terrible World that much so it might actually be good and in which case my whole theory is shot. 

*laughs*

Interesting theory, Cowboy Poet. I agree with you on most points. The Crane Wife is sublime, and one of my favorite albums by anyone, Hazards of Love was really dreadful, wasn’t it? I hated that album so much that I did not even bother listening to The King Is Dead for a long time after it was released. That, of course, was a mistake. I didn’t listen to What a Terrible World that much either, but what I remember of it is good. Perhaps it was hit or miss. Didn’t like the new song much today, Love the Ben Franklin song though!!

I was telling my wife this morning when the album got announced that it should be good since every other Decemberists record is good.

The Crane Wife - Good

The Hazards of Love - Not good

The King is Dead - Good

What A Terrible World - Not good

But after hearing the new single, it appears this one also might be.... not good.

Also to be fair I didn't really listen to What A Terrible World that much so it might actually be good and in which case my whole theory is shot. 

*laughs*

Interesting theory, Cowboy Poet. I agree with you on most points. The Crane Wife is sublime, and one of my favorite albums by anyone, Hazards of Love was really dreadful, wasn’t it? I hated that album so much that I did not even bother listening to The King Is Dead for a long time after it was released. That, of course, was a mistake. I didn’t listen to What a Terrible World that much either, but what I remember of it is good. Perhaps it was hit or miss. Didn’t like the new song much today, Love the Ben Franklin song though!!

*laughs again*

I actually love Hazards.  Maybe that's because it's the record where I started with them (lotta hype for sure got my attention at the time).  It's still my go-to record for them.  And agree on the Crane Wife for sure.  I'll certainly try to see them on this upcoming tour.  Fun show.