• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Today's New York Times shows The King Is Dead as the #1 album for last week. Love 'um or not, it's hard to deny the shock of a band like this having the number one album in the country.

As for me, I now believe that this is the best Decemberists album ever. That opinion was formed over several full listens, a revisit to the back catalog including Tarkio, and contemplation of the 4 live shows I've been to. It's not earth shattering, but it is highly enjoyable.

This album has been slowly growing on me. I initially felt like it was a slight step above Hazards Of Love which was the biggest disappointment I could have imagined.

But this one has definitely been a grower.

My introduction to the band was Her Majesty. That album I listened to once and filed it away for nearly a year before picking it up again and totally "getting it." So this not liking it at first deal is not uncommon for me in regards to the Decemberists.

I'm really loving the new album. I've been a moderate fan for a few years, thought they were kinda quirky and fun, but never really got into them like I have with other bands. I never really felt a connection to the music before, it was always just an intellectual thing, rather than an emotional one.

My question is, as a casual fan who likes the new album, are they worth seeing live? I probably wouldn't even consider it, but Justin Townes Earle is opening and I'm kind of obsessed with his music at the moment . . .

Been a big fan for about 5 years now, and I'd absolutely say go see them live as a casual fan. in fact, this may shape up as the perfedct tour to do that as there should be a good mix of their music and not a whole rock opera shoved down your throat ... I will be there at the newly announced Columbus show!

"Rise To Me" is lovely.

ah, yes it is indeed, one of their best ever

Been a big fan for about 5 years now, and I'd absolutely say go see them live as a casual fan. in fact, this may shape up as the perfedct tour to do that as there should be a good mix of their music and not a whole rock opera shoved down your throat ... I will be there at the newly announced Columbus show!

ah, yes it is indeed, one of their best ever

Thanks for the advice. Bought my tickets Monday and I'm looking forward to the show! I also placed an order for the two albums I didn't have in my collection yet. I like to come prepared!

Thanks for the advice. Bought my tickets Monday and I'm looking forward to the show! I also placed an order for the two albums I didn't have in my collection yet. I like to come prepared!

well, good call and good luck ... they put on a very good show and I think the focus will be a on variety of songs and styles from their whole catalog this time, unless I'm plain wrong

I really love this album, and I've always disliked the Decemberists. This is the first Meloy album I've listened straight through, from start to finish. His voice has always annoyed the heck out of me. But this record is totally different! I hear a lot of Wilco (January Hymn = Bob Dylans Beard) and early REM (most obvious [already mentioned] is "Calamity Song" intro = "Talk About the Passion")

• 2 weeks later...

i let you guys talk me into buying this album. glad i listened!! you all have rarely steered me wrong. this is a good album and quite a departure from what i know of them (which is a good thing because i had tired of them as a passive fan...apologies to trueblues).

what a roll call of guests on here!

• 2 weeks later...

Really loving this record. A solid set of songs with no filler. The two 'Hymns' are both gorgous. Don't think its been mentioned yet but I also love the collection of photo's that adorn the record. I couldn't justify forking out for the deluxe set but the vinyl is pretty nice.

They have an EP coming out as part of 'Record Store Day' which should be pretty interesting too.

I'm flying solo for the Antwerp gig tomorrow evening, if anyone wants to meet up (or take my spare ticket off my hands), let me know.

Concerning the new album, I was underwhelmed by the lead-off single Down By The Water but luckily it's one of the weaker songs on the album, in the up tempo department it's easily outshined by Rox in the Box.

I definitely think Rise To Me is the highlight of the album, very Hazards of Love that one (my favorite album of theirs). Don't Carry It All reminds me of another Hazards track, namely Wager All. Even the alt-country sounds of All Arise! is carried well by the folk opera folks (I love that minimal banjo).

Too bad they seem to have what I like to call a "Sporting Life" on every album (iow a vastly inferior track), this time it's called Calamity Song. I can only stand by what's been said about the hymns already, the sound of them is a new one for the band and I very much hope the next album will continue in that direction.

I never cease to be amazed by Colin's ability to imprint combinations of words into my brain, whether it's "nape of your neck", "bold and brilliant sun" or "a panoply of song" in the same manner I still remember great opening lines from great novels.

• 3 weeks later...

Saw The Decemberists film a mini-concert for Jimmy Kimmel last night. The band did 5 songs, 2 were actually taped for the show.

This was my 2nd time seeing them in the past 2 months -AND this one was free!!! I will definitely be seeing them again this year when they return to The Greek in August.

I'm really glad I've gotten into this band. They really put-on a great live show.

If only I could get that much Wilco going on in my life...

• 3 weeks later...

I saw the show in Pittsburgh last night and had a wonderful time. Colin is is a pretty funny guy, which I guess didn't really surprise me based on the music. I know some people consider The Decemberists to be pretentious, but I always found the lyrics and overblown arrangements to be humorous and playful.

They performed The Tain, which I thought was pretty impressive. I wasn't expecting to hear to one. I couldn't believe they came out for a second encore after that!

I've been listening to the Decemberists a lot over the last couple months and I think I'm ready to upgrade myself to official fan status. I probably wouldn't have gone to the show if it wasn't for the fact that Justin Townes Earle opened (he was fantastic as well). I'm glad Justin's presense me to show up because I hate to think I would have missed the show otherwise.

I definitely think Rise To Me is the highlight of the album, very Hazards of Love that one (my favorite album of theirs).

It's refreshing to hear someone say Hazards of Love is their fave album by them. Seems like I hear more negatives about that album than positives from a lot of fans. I just listened to it the other day and realized once again how much I love it.

I've been listening to the Decemberists a lot over the last couple months and I think I'm ready to upgrade myself to official fan status. I probably wouldn't have gone to the show if it wasn't for the fact that Justin Townes Earle opened (he was fantastic as well). I'm glad Justin's presense me to show up because I hate to think I would have missed the show otherwise.

Off the subject a bit but is Justin still touring as a 2 piece? I have yet to hear someone come away from a Justin Townes Earle show disappointed.

Off the subject a bit but is Justin still touring as a 2 piece? I have yet to hear someone come away from a Justin Townes Earle show disappointed.

Yes, it was Justin and a fiddle player. They played for maybe 25 minutes - I wish they had more time!

Saw The Decemberists film a mini-concert for Jimmy Kimmel last night. The band did 5 songs, 2 were actually taped for the show.

I saw them do This is Why We Fight on Kimmel and the crowd looked dead. It just does not seem like a good choice for a single. There really is no strong melody that I remember.