What are the chances the next Wilco album sucks?

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doesn't suck.

Nickelback = Sucks

Creed = Sucks

Kid Rock = Sucks

Wilco "You and I" = Not so good, but doesn't suck

Since when is there something wrong with Kid Rock?

YOu and I doesn't suck, but it is a touch weird.

The next album could be great if you mix in Jeff's work with Mavis, Nels work with himself and his collegues, Autumn Defense's comeback and some time to actually think about something new, this could be an interesting one.

LouieB

I think they need to take their time with recording and take more time to go off and work on other projects. That will inject new energy in them. They don't need a new album to tour, either, even if they're not road testing new material. They don't have a label to pressure them for a new album. There's no need to rush. I'd be fine with waiting another year or 18 months if it means we get an incredible album. This lineup is capable of a lot more than they've done on the last two albums, that's for sure.

Since when is there something wrong with Kid Rock?

What isn't wrong with Kid Rock?

If I could erase him from history, I would. Instead, as a resident of Michigan, he is paraded in front of me far too often. I couldn't even go see Conan O'Brien's tour without enduring a cameo from that douchebag.

What isn't wrong with Kid Rock?

If I could erase him from history, I would. Instead, as a resident of Michigan, he is paraded in front of me far too often. I couldn't even go see Conan O'Brien's tour without enduring a cameo from that douchebag.

Cryp, don't fear the American Bad Ass. Like you he was born free. In Mt. Clemens.

In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking other users into a desired emotional response[1] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.[2] In addition to the offending poster, the noun troll can also refer to the provocative message itself, as in "that was an excellent troll you posted". While the term troll and its associated action trolling are primarily associated with Internet discourse, media attention in recent years has made such labels highly subjective, with trolling being used to describe intentionally provocative actions outside of an online context. For example, recent media accounts have used the term troll to describe "a person who defaces internet tribute sites with the aim of causing grief to families."[3][4]

1.^ "Definition of: trolling". PCMAG.COM. Ziff Davis Publishing Holdings Inc. 2009. http://www.pcmag.com/encyclopedia_term/0,2542,t=trolling&i=53181,00.asp#. Retrieved 2009-03-24.

2.^ Indiana University: University Information Technology Services (2008-05-05). "What is a troll?". Indiana University Knowledge Base. The Trustees of Indiana University. http://kb.iu.edu/data/afhc.html. Retrieved 2009-03-24.

3.^ "Police charge alleged creator of Facebook hate page aimed at murder victim". The Courier Mail (Australia). 2010-07-22. http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/police-charge-alleged-creator-of-facebook-hate-page-aimed-at-murder-victim/story-e6freoof-1225895789100. Retrieved 2010-07-27.

4.^ a b "Trolling: The Today Show Explores the Dark Side of the Internet", 31 March 2010. Retrieved on 4 April 2010.

If I were trying to start trouble I would start trouble. This is a legit question. And the next album probably will suck. I would figure the music lovers on this board would enjoy this sort of question. But, you paint picklers drain the fun out of any thread.

Whenever I need to be inflamed with excitement, I listen to Wilco (The Song), and I remember that Wilco loves me, and that gives me hope that they'll make a less mediocre album just for me...someday.

The band is fantastic live. But, with the exception of One Wing, BBN, Impossible Germany, and You Are My Face, I zone out during the newer songs. I want Wilco to go back to making albums that resonate with me, that challenge me. There are plenty of other bands that can make mediocre alterna-pop records. As far as I'm concerned, if they want to keep playing it safe, they should've just stayed with Nonesuch. The fact that they didn't signals that maybe more changes are coming.

My thoughts on the whole Sky Blue Sky vs. Wilco (The Album)...(excuse me as I put on my hazmat suit)

I can truly listen to W(TA) all the way through and not be bothered at all by the sequencing. I have some problems with the pacing of Sky Blue Sky. I feel that it is an excellent record, but a lot of the songs run on the same speed. Either Way, Sky Blue Sky, Please Be Patient With Me, What Light and On & On & On are all beautiful and gorgeous songs, but for me they really work well when I'm controlling my own iMix or listening to a boot. (don't get me started on Leave Me Like You Found Me) In other words, they work a lot better for me when they are out of the album sequencing. Sky Blue Sky for me feels like a real yo-yo pace. It feels like the album is picking up some momentum and then comes on something like Please Be Patient With Me. And I really love the live versions of Shake It Off a lot more than what's on the album.

Plus, I love the way how the lyrics roll off of Jeff's tongue on I'll Fight and I love the harmonies and sunny feeling of Sonny Feeling. Deeper Down has a lot more going for it in terms of instrumentation. The one song I'm always a bit shocked by is You Never Know. I feel like that goes on an extra chorus too long. The lyrics and overall feeling of Country Disappeared is amazing to me. Bull Black Nova is probably my favorite song on that record and I enjoy the fun quality of Wilco (The Song).

In my own personal summation: Sky Blue Sky has the stronger current classic tunes with some songs that might work better elsewhere (i have no idea where that would be), while Wilco (The Album) works for me from beginning to end.

Edit: And for some amazingly strange reason (Jay's influence? the writing?) that trio of songs off of Summerteeth work phenomenally: Pieholden Suite, How To Fight Loneliness & Via Chicago. (just in case people thought I was anti-ballads. :blush )

My guess is that we must wait a while. I see a " Solo or Jeff and Friends" release out next. It will be quite good.

Wilco will return just like all the leaves we burn...

Good to see folks gearing up to hate something that hasn't been made yet. Being a fan is awesome.

I'll take devil's advocate; no one has heard any of it, but based on a subjective laundry list, I'm 86% sure it's better than half their albums- objectively speaking.