What are the chances the next Wilco album sucks?

I am hesitant to post but I in my 53 years have not seen very few bands of integrity, creativity and openess to their soul that I wouldnt want ot give the benifit of the doubt that the next effort will be great .. it wil be like none of the past efforts but it will be a full expression of where they are as a collective and as where they are as individuals

Good to see folks gearing up to hate something that hasn't been made yet. Being a fan is awesome.

I'll take devil's advocate; no one has heard any of it, but based on a subjective laundry list, I'm 86% sure it's better than half their albums- objectively speaking.

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good to see folks gearing up to hate something that hasn't been made yet. Being a fan is awesome.

I'll take devil's advocate; no one has heard any of it, but based on a subjective laundry list, I'm 86% sure it's better than half their albums- objectively speaking.

The lower the expectation bar is set, the less chance there is of being disappointed. Set it low enough, and you might actually be pleasantly surprised when said record comes out.

The lower the expectation bar is set, the less chance there is of being disappointed. Set it low enough, and you might actually be pleasantly surprised when said record comes out.

I've unraveled the conspiracy then, Wilco actually recorded two albums in the aftermath of SBS and decided to release the less impressive one first, it's diabolical genius. It's more plausible than Wilco releasing a hit and miss record without ulterior motive.

Bwa ha ha ha ha!

nniafr5jo1njf8b18qp.jpg

Strangely, most folks I try to turn on to Wilco by ways of the new album pick "You and I" as an early favorite. I still don't hate it, no matter how much peer pressure on this forum. Oh and I don't love the album version of Spiders either. Lucky you guys don't know where I live...

Of course I've since learned ST is always the way to go for virgins.

I give a no-suck guarantee. I foresee Wilco really stepping it up and creating a very challenging record ....or a country record à la Anodyne. Either way, it'll be awesome.

What's with the hate-on for AGIB? I really love that record. Yankee Hotel Foxtrot will always be #1 for me, but Being There, Summerteeth, and A Ghost Is Born are in a delicious 3-way tie for second.

I give a no-suck guarantee. I foresee Wilco really stepping it up and creating a very challenging record ....or a country record à la Anodyne. Either way, it'll be awesome.

What's with the hate-on for AGIB? I really love that record. Yankee Hotel Foxtrot will always be #1 for me, but Being There, Summerteeth, and A Ghost Is Born are in a delicious 3-way tie for second.

If they move away from the previous two albums, I'd far likely be more towards the guitar-rock/krautrock direction than alt-country in my estimation. But in the spirit of wishful thinking, alt-country is absolutely my favorite road to take for them. Oh, and to answer the OP's question, about 15%.

Nothing Wilco has put out has sucked. I got on board in 2008. My dear friend turned me on to them. I listened to a bunch of live shows them I saw them in New Haven CT. I've only just recently started listening to the studio albums. Very much like the Grateful Dead, Wilco studio albums do not do the band justice at all.

They are six well rounded musicians all extremely talented. So I think,Suck absolutely not! Like WTA, it will take time for the songs to grow on me. That's what I expect.

I'm all for a Jeff solo release also, and by the way. I am a fat fucker.

I would like to concur that the next album's level of suckiness will be very low. :thumbup

Although I am by no means emphatically in love with most of the songs on the last two albums, it just so happens that I am not in love with every song from the rest of their albums, either. From this (sort of) pattern, I've scientifically deduced that perhaps it isn't possible to love every song on a particular album, and that the dud-to-gem ratio will still be low.

Suck is such a strong word and should be reserved for the likes of Kid Rock. The new Wilco release will definitely not suck and I could only hope they release FM, their long awaited follow up to AM! :guitar

Followed by Sirius/XM in 2013 :monkey

Suck is such a strong word and should be reserved for the likes of Kid Rock. The new Wilco release will definitely not suck and I could only hope they release FM, their long awaited follow up to AM! :guitar

Or PM, a little night music from the boys. That would be nice!

I will renew my call for a good ol' ass-kicking rock record from Wilco, a la "Pleased to Meet Me."

If I were trying to start trouble I would start trouble. This is a legit question. And the next album probably will suck. I would figure the music lovers on this board would enjoy this sort of question. But, you paint picklers drain the fun out of any thread.

What the hell is a paint pickler?