What are the chances the next Wilco album sucks?

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

don't forget the 'look' part.

no, i am not trying to suppress anyone's freedom of speech in anyway. just curious about the investment of energy into what might be perceived as the tail end of the asymptote.

Yeah, but as Recorded Nap pointed out, there's no reason to believe that we're at the end, although 20 years would be a long time to wait. Also, there are other parts of the board that still hold my interest. Also, it's fun to see people get worked up about this stuff. Also, there's the perfect pop songs thread. Also, I like to see my Jay avatar from time to time. Also, ction is correct (chili for two meals today!).

There's nothing wrong with discussing Wilco even if you don't like their recent output. It's just as valid as the posters who fawn over Wilco albums they haven't heard yet.

Guest Speed Racer

so did you regularly frequent the Dylan board in the long drought between what you considered crap and redemption?

Way back when John Adams and Ben Franklin used the internet?

I like Wilco. Why would I not spend time talking about things I like? You try to make something perfectly sane sound unreasonable.

I love my parents, but I don't like everything the do, because sometimes people do stupid things, like not look at the directions, merge without looking, call me asking me to tell them where they are, or write Leave Me Like You Found Me. Does that mean I can't love anything if I don't like it wholly? Utter foolishness.

I had to look that one up. Must have skipped that day of math class.

Way back when John Adams and Ben Franklin used the internet?

I like Wilco. Why would I not spend time talking about things I like? You try to make something perfectly sane sound unreasonable.

I love my parents, but I don't like everything the do, because sometimes people do stupid things, like not look at the directions, merge without looking, call me asking me to tell them where they are, or write Leave Me Like You Found Me. Does that mean I can't love anything if I don't like it wholly? Utter foolishness.

i think comparing Wilco to one's parents is a lot closer to utter foolishness. Probably a more apt analogy would be a friend; once close, then some behavior turned the relationship in a different direction, and the friendship atrophied to the point of indifference. Do you still fondly flip through your high school year book on a routine basis?

Guest Speed Racer

and the friendship atrophied to the point of indifference.

The primary analogy was not parents, but comparing new material to annoying quirks of a loved one. I don't know how you roll, but I love my friends.

Since you couldn't muster anything about the second, absolutely reasonable paragraph of my prior post I'll assume that your nitpicking means you understand the reason in all of this and you're just overplaying the part like a 2005 - present Wilco. :cheer. Doesn't mean I like you any less.

Guest Speed Racer

Good lord, you're [difficult]. If I say I like something, I like that. You can't 'fix' that, you can't be 'right' about what I like and tell me I'm wrong.

Every time I listen to AGIB, I feel awesome; it's a new experience, not one I'm remembering (a la flipping through yearbooks).

People ask me what music I listen to. I say, "Wilco." People come away from that thinking, "RecSexSpeedNap likes Wilco."

Guest Speed Racer

You know, the Beatles haven't put an album out worth listening to in at least forty years. I still like the Beatles.

No, you really don't. How much of a moron are you?

with the amount of people disappointed by SBS and WTA, i am surprised that so many people still hang around this board. at what point does one give up hope on a band they used to love?

If you bonded with someone because you both liked a particular band, would you end the friendship if you thought the band had gone downhill? Or would your friendship have grown beyond the point of just being two people who like the same band?

Fair point, I was discussing Wilco and not Jeff. I'd love another Loose Fur or a Tweedy solo album over a new Wilco one at the moment. IMO there's too many members in Wilco and the result can sometimes be very bland. Too many cooks etc... I've said this here before but I much prefer pre-Cline Wilco.

Why are people blaming Cline? From what I can hear that guy was barely even present on W(TA)(they actually recorded the majority in New Zealand without him) and the one song that sounded like it did feature Cline heavily (BBN) was actually by far the best song on that album. People should give one of his solo records a spin sometime, he's capable of a lot more than just the impossible germany guitar solo.

Probably easier to blame to new guy than to accept W(TA) was just Jeff Tweedy in his "I don't have a lot to say atm but here's another collection of Wilco songs"-modus eh.

As yet another Wilco devotee who didn't love either of the last two albums, but who WHOLEHEARTEDLY loves the prior releases, I find it hard to accept that the band's future records might not affect me in a similar way. I'm almost always my happiest when listening to Wilco. (Or seeing them live, or anticipating the next live show.) There's gotta be more of that earth-moving stuff in there, right? Hopefully, that's not just wishful thinking.

Regrettably......Jeff has moved into comfort groove.....no "Being There" nor "Summerteeh" or even "YHF".......nothing to push MY buttons anymore.....this band is all about playing it safe now....PLEASE suprise me!!!

-Robert

Jeff isn't making music for you. He's making music for himself. If you happen to dig it, cool. If not, well...

I've seen this kind of angst and division before. It happens when bands/artists mature and move in a musical direction that some finds simply will not accept.

I watched internet warfare and bloodletting over on the AOL and USENET Springsteen boards. The same thing always happens. A group will blindly follow no matter what; a group will turn completely against the artist and troll the boards taunting the faithful; a group that like some of what is going but not all of it.

The thing I find truly amazing is the troll poster. We don't really have any here, but if you haven't liked anything the band has done in 10 years, you probably aren't a fan anymore and posting your dismissal of the band on a fan board repeatedly is probably trolling.

Me...I come here for the free beer.

Why are people blaming Cline? From what I can hear that guy was barely even present on W(TA)(they actually recorded the majority in New Zealand without him) and the one song that sounded like it did feature Cline heavily (BBN) was actually by far the best song on that album. People should give one of his solo records a spin sometime, he's capable of a lot more than just the impossible germany guitar solo.

=

This is the line-up Jeff likes, including Nels. This is the line-up Jeff is going to stick with unless someone quits or Jeff disbands the whole thing. They are capable of anything Jeff wants to do. They are going to make plenty of great music and plenty of great records. Maybe (or maybe not) the future material will not be as striking as the material from the past, but I think it will be special none the less.

(and as always, it can't come soon enough...)

LouieB

This is the line-up Jeff likes, including Nels. This is the line-up Jeff is going to stick with unless someone quits or Jeff disbands the whole thing. They are capable of anything Jeff wants to do. They are going to make plenty of great music and plenty of great records. Maybe (or maybe not) the future material will not be as striking as the material from the past, but I think it will be special none the less.

(and as always, it can't come soon enough...)

LouieB

Yeah, but I wouldn't mind Cline being more involved in the creative process, right now he's nothing more than an expensive touring guitarist. But maybe he's just happy to be the guy carrying Tweedy's suitcases, it's a steady job after all and his solo records are finally getting some attention in Wilco's slipstream as well.

Tweedy should kick Sansone though.

Yeah, but I wouldn't mind Cline being more involved in the creative process, right now he's nothing more than an expensive touring guitarist. But maybe he's just happy to be the guy carrying Tweedy's suitcases, it's a steady job after all and his solo records are finally getting some attention in Wilco's slipstream as well.

Tweedy should kick Sansone though.

Kick Sansone where? Out of the band? Actually Pat has gotten significantly better at what he does since joining the band. Meanwhile Nels is a touring guitarist. Nothing wrong with that. He gets to do what he wants, and as you point out sell lots more records to all of us who weren't aquainted with his music before he jointed the band, and make some decent money. Not only that he does add something to mix, but his style of music isn't what Wilco does, so he does kind of have to fit in. Ultimately this is Jeff's band. He apparently likes the way it is. So I guess everyone gets to take it or leave it at this point.

LoiueB