Dawes in Chevy commercial

I heard a Pogues song in some car commercial this morning.

LouieB

I move that every time someone hears a song in a commercial and said song was not specifically written for the commercial, a thread should be started to discuss the merits of 'selling out'. If that thread does not reach at least 41 pages in 2 days, Via Chicago must be shut down. Do I hear a second?

I move that every time someone hears a song in a commercial and said song was not specifically written for the commercial, a thread should be started to discuss the merits of 'selling out'. If that thread does not reach at least 41 pages in 2 days, Via Chicago must be shut down. Do I hear a second?

Wasn't that Good Old Neon's first post to the forum? Or am I thinking of someone else?

Wasn't that Good Old Neon's first post to the forum? Or am I thinking of someone else?

Yep...he did make a splash, didn't he.

and word to Owl, who made the most prescient and insightful post in the whole 40+ page debacle

Has anyone considered that the traditional avenues for making money in the music business are becoming less useful? I imagine that as overall CD sales fall, "artists" will be more inclined to sell their tracks individually and for advertising.

You may find that "selling out" in 5 years means something completely different than it did in the Fugazi days.

I remember when movie theatres started playing commercials, many people would start booing. Now it's just part of the movie going experience. Same thing with this, it will and has become so common that these threads will go away. I don't blame the artists for trying to make a living, especially with all the pirating going on.

But it still cheapens the songs for me in some small way and probably always will.

I remember when movie theatres started playing commercials, many people would start booing. Now it's just part of the movie going experience. Same thing with this, it will and has become so common that these threads will go away. I don't blame the artists for trying to make a living, especially with all the pirating going on.

But it still cheapens the songs for me in some small way and probably always will.

Yep, and how product placement used to be such a big deal (remember the uproar over Reeses Pieces being featured in E.T.?) -- but now, you watch movies and TV and it's pretty much everywhere. Biggest Loser anyone?

I don't mind music being used to sell products so much as long as the song remains unaltered. But when they "jingle-ize" a piece of music to better fit in an ad, that's over the line.

Yep, and how product placement used to be such a big deal (remember the uproar over Reeses Pieces being featured in E.T.?) -- but now, you watch movies and TV and it's pretty much everywhere. Biggest Loser anyone?

Biggest Loser is probably the worst offender of all. They started doing product placement long before DVRs became the norm and it became so easy to skip commercials.

There's no chance in hell a product would pass up a chance to be featured in a film the way M&Ms did.

There is no such thing as selling out anymore. There is also some car commercial with Paul Simon's "The Only Living Boy in New York" and another commercial (maybe cars, I can't remember) with a Kinks song in it. Any band these days that wouldn't take a commerical would be a bunch of fools. Bands allow themselves to be used in TV shows as well. It is all fair game.

I am just unaware of which of the new bands are in commercials, but i am guess it is a ton. What struggling band wouldn't take a payday and take a few weeks or months off as a result?

Selling out is so 60s man!!! :blink

LouieB

There is no such thing as selling out anymore.

I don't know if I'd take it that far. If Neil Young sells Ohio for a National Guard ad campaign (which I definitely would NOT put past him), I'd consider that a sellout.

I think it's good exposure for bands to allow their songs to be used in commercials. Honestly I would rather sit through commercials playing Dawes and The Black Keys than have to sit through a commercial playing awful music like Justin beiber and Kesha. Good for them for getting their music out there. It doesn't diminish the song's quality because it was used in a car commercial. To not listen to a band because of commercial use is stupid and pretentious.

There is no such thing as selling out anymore. There is also some car commercial with Paul Simon's "The Only Living Boy in New York" and another commercial (maybe cars, I can't remember) with a Kinks song in it. Any band these days that wouldn't take a commerical would be a bunch of fools. Bands allow themselves to be used in TV shows as well. It is all fair game.

I am just unaware of which of the new bands are in commercials, but i am guess it is a ton. What struggling band wouldn't take a payday and take a few weeks or months off as a result?

Selling out is so 60s man!!! :blink

LouieB

Lou, you didn't think that I was serious, did you?

Wow, that feels like a lifetime ago, back when I still had time for long exchanges on VC. I miss those days. Mostly.

M.Chris, you rabble-rouser you! :lol

My thoughts on this Dawes commercial...I always thought "when my time comes" was a reference to one's time of death. So now Chevy Silverados make me contemplate my own mortality. Is this what the commercial-makers intended?

Just saw a Chevy Silverado drive down my street. Do you people know how much a funeral costs these days??!! :unsure

I think it's good exposure for bands to allow their songs to be used in commercials. Honestly I would rather sit through commercials playing Dawes and The Black Keys than have to sit through a commercial playing awful music like Justin beiber and Kesha. Good for them for getting their music out there. It doesn't diminish the song's quality because it was used in a car commercial. To not listen to a band because of commercial use is stupid and pretentious.

To be honest, I would rather a commercial use Kesha because that music means nothing to me and it seems to have been written to sell product anyways, and I got a mute button. Yes, I'm naive to think that Art can still mean something. Yes I know art is subjective and one man's Kesha is another man's Beatles. I know that these days all publicity and exposure is good and it's all about the all mighty dollar. I don't care about any of that. All I know is I would give anything to be able to write a song like that Dawes song. If I was a struggling artist wanting to make music for a living and someone offered me a ton of money to use my song, maybe I would do the same thing. I like to think I would not because like I said, I still think it cheapens it. We have become so inured to advertising anymore that anything goes. I want my kids to feel the same way I did when I heard "Sixteen Blue" or "Harborcoat" and I just don't think it would have the same impact if it were being used to sell them a T-Mobile phone.

Jeebus I sound old.

After all the gnashing of teeth four years ago, I can't say I ever think of VW when I hear a Wilco song from SBS. In fact, I had pretty much forgotten about that ad campaign until M. Chris re-posted the old thread. My relationship to the art of SBS remains unchanged by what has proved to be a barely interesting footnote in Wilco history; as I said back then, art has the power to endure long after the baggage fades. If we believe in art, we should have some faith in its resilience.

M.Chris, you rabble-rouser you! :lol

I mean no harm. :shifty

I watch very little TV, but when I hear a band I like any place outside of playing them myself, I get happy. That includes TV, radio, doctor's office or drifting through the outdoor market where I eat my lunch.

To be honest, I would rather a commercial use Kesha because that music means nothing to me and it seems to have been written to sell product anyways, and I got a mute button. Yes, I'm naive to think that Art can still mean something. Yes I know art is subjective and one man's Kesha is another man's Beatles. I know that these days all publicity and exposure is good and it's all about the all mighty dollar. I don't care about any of that. All I know is I would give anything to be able to write a song like that Dawes song. If I was a struggling artist wanting to make music for a living and someone offered me a ton of money to use my song, maybe I would do the same thing. I like to think I would not because like I said, I still think it cheapens it. We have become so inured to advertising anymore that anything goes. I want my kids to feel the same way I did when I heard "Sixteen Blue" or "Harborcoat" and I just don't think it would have the same impact if it were being used to sell them a T-Mobile phone.

Jeebus I sound old.

You make some strong points and I can respect the values you speak of, but I disagree because of the reality of the music buisness. On some level in order for the artist to keep making their art they need to get compensated. Now there a number of ways to get compensated so you can continue to produce your art, but today those are far more limited than before. As long as radio is what it is, exposure is limited. As long as many of us are unwilling to actually buy the record, having the production recouped is limited. It is either constant touring or exposure in other avenues. I just think it becomes necessity on some level. I mean we are a part of this also. Are we willing to pay for our convictions in a band or not. If the answer is no, then I don't think we have a lot of room to talk.

You make some strong points and I can respect the values you speak of, but I disagree because of the reality of the music buisness. On some level in order for the artist to keep making their art they need to get compensated. Now there a number of ways to get compensated so you can continue to produce your art, but today those are far more limited than before. As long as radio is what it is, exposure is limited. As long as many of us are unwilling to actually buy the record, having the production recouped is limited. It is either constant touring or exposure in other avenues. I just think it becomes necessity on some level. I mean we are a part of this also. Are we willing to pay for our convictions in a band or not. If the answer is no, then I don't think we have a lot of room to talk.

I actually agree with everything you are saying. I just find advertising so annoying and pervasive I hate to see good music being sucked into the vortex.

Lou, you didn't think that I was serious, did you?

Of course not. I haven't believed in any of this sell out crap for a very long time. I am sure I did back in my dewy youth back in the 1960s, but hardly now. I only half agree with Beltman about great art enduring despite the baggage. Art endures because of commerce. Artists that don't sell don't last. The Sistine Chapel mural was made for money. Songs need to sell, no matter how. There would not be the great Nick Drake hero worship revival without the VW commercial. No one would have hardly heard of him. I know I never did and I was actually alive when he was around and listening to his compatriots. His records sell because of the commercial, even Joe Boyd admits that in his autobiography (I just read that part a day or so ago.)

I don't even know who Dawes is, but I will figure it out now.

LouieB