Dawes in Chevy commercial

So I nearly deficate in my trousers the other day when while watching T.V. I hear a Dawes tune. I'm a huge fan of their first cd and have traveled to see them a couple times. It doesnt really bother me especially for a young band trying to bust out. Anybody disagree?

So I nearly deficate in my trousers the other day when while watching T.V. I hear a Dawes tune. I'm a huge fan of their first cd and have traveled to see them a couple times. It doesnt really bother me especially for a young band trying to bust out. Anybody disagree?

Not at all. TV commercials are now used by small bands as a 15 second plug for their record. Radio doesn' play OUR kind of music anymore...but advertising agencies love indie rock.

Not at all. TV commercials are now used by small bands as a 15 second plug for their record. Radio doesn' play OUR kind of music anymore...but advertising agencies love indie rock.

On that note...enjoy the "Sell out off" that happened on The Colbert Report the other night. Hilarious.

Colbert

it's been airing since early November. it doesn't use much of the songs vocal part whatsoever (just the last few seconds), so it doesn't bother me all too much. for a band that has yet to really catch on besides a great word of mouth campaign about their live show, they deserve to get paid.

hoping LP2 changes all that

• 2 months later...

I'll never understand why this stuff bothers people. Doesn't change the song whatsoever in my mind, and it nets the bands some extra cash. Maybe even some new fans. Win-win as far as I'm concerned.

This.

It's just the way the world works these days. Good for them.

This.

I have no problem with them doing it whatsover. But hearing a song in a commercial always cheapens it for me just a little bit, I'm not even sure why. It's not the sell out aspect or anything. Now when I hear that song am I going to instantly start thinking of a Chevy truck going through rugged terrain?

From a band's perspective why the hell not. Radio is not playing this song and the way radio is today (minus xm or college radio) they never will. So if placement in a movie, tv show, or commercial broadens exposure, I agree it is a win-win. It isn't like Dawes made a overtly top 40 Black Eyed Peas sounding song to get airtime.

From a fan perspective I think we sometimes get possessive about a band being "our" band, and I think it does feel like the song got cheapened a tad when it hits that type of exposure. Or just hearing something 100 times with a visual makes the song different. Who knows, The Black Keys are sure digging it though

This.

as awful as ATO were about promoting 'North Hills' (ie: not at all), i'm totally ok with them getting paid.

i sincerely hope that ATO wakes up and decides to promote 'Nothing Is Wrong' WAY more, otherwise i'd love to see them jump to a label that is more fitting.

and i like that it's mostly just an instrumental bit during the song, only during the last few seconds do you hear the chorus. hasn't ruined the song for me one bit, it was still every bit as epic on the Middle Brother tour as before.

fwiw, the re-recorded version of it that's in the commercial is on iTunes and Amazon, if anyone is curious to hear the differences.

How many people on this board have their LP and didn't pay for it?? Musicians have to get paid too.

Not me brutha...bought and paid for.

But that was four years ago. And a different band. No one mentioned Wilco in this thread at all.

For the record, I could care less if Wilco does commercials either. Same system applies to favorite bands like Wilco and bands I actually don't know anything about, like Dawes. If the band's OK with it, I have no right to bitch about it.

If the band's OK with it, I have no right to bitch about it.

I feel the same way. The romanticism we place on songs is of our own doing and an artist has zero responsibility to protect our emotional attachment to their work.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane. I had forgotten how fun Neon was when he first showed up.

I think Wilco was ahead of the curve here. Radio doesn't play "our" kind of music anymore. There are limited outlets for a band of the type that used to be called Indie to have their music reach a broad audience. TV Commercials and the Late Night shows. (I have found a lot of new music from watching Letterman and Ferguson plus freaking commercials).

There is a new model for bands these days. Major lables are buggy whip factories. Touring is good, but it is a bit like preaching to the choir. The internet is useful, but bands still have a need to reach the broader audience.

Times are changing. We must jettison the fundamentalist approach to music and the 'marketing' thereof.