Now Playing: May, 2011

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm.

- there's some reverb attached to Simone's voice that I could do without.

- Songs are pretty good - but it always takes me a while to understand and like them

- They left off the song Positive Hex, which is a real shame. Hope it shows up somewhere.

- There's a really sad song about Simone's employer Aaron - a continuation of 'Not for me' from the EP.

- There's also a airy feeling to the production - everything seems to have a tape hiss and amp hum, not a lot of low end

- Feels like nothing was multi-tracked and it was recorded live in the studio - which makes sense because the thing was done at Blue Rodeo's studio and I imagine it wasn't cheap.

I love it.

SOM-COVER-1400-X-1400-web.jpg

So excited for this, easily one of my favourite Canadian bands around today.

Listened to gruff rhys' hotel shampoo today (3 times actually). Totally obsessed. Is there a sup furry animals album similar to this one?

:thumbup

Had you heard any Gruff before? He's incredible. The best out there right now.

Hotel Shampoo isn't too much like any Furries album, but it's definitely on the mellow side. So I'd say Phantom Power or Mwng are most similar, but I'd recommend Phantom way before the terrific but all Welsh Mwng. Phantom might be my favorite, actually. Great album.

Their discography is extraordinary though. Almost any fan will have a different favorite, and it could pretty much be any of their nine LPs.

My favorite SFA album is Radiator, but that is NOT on the mellow side at all. Just on the freaking genius side.

as to my np: for the day:

5133d4w58PL._SL500_AA300_.jpg61nuMAJZXwL._SL500_AA300_.jpg51-%2BNJ2elHL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

61nKNpWFQ4L._SL500_AA300_.jpg510d72jKWBL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Listened to gruff rhys' hotel shampoo today (3 times actually). Totally obsessed. Is there a sup furry animals album similar to this one?

ha ha! looks like another member of the super furry animals gang in the making!

have you not heard any of their albums, or you just didn't like the ones you heard?

i'd be inclined to say that Hey Venus! is fairly similar to Hotel Shampoo, or (like Shakespeare said) Phantom Power. like has been said already, all of their albums are completely different. My personal favourite is Guerrilla, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend that first. Actually, start from Fuzzy Logic and work forward - that's always the best way.

also, you could check out the film Seperado! which is Gruff going to South America to check out the history of the Welsh communities who moved there to escape the persecution from us English (and some of his relatives went there) - it's a very good film, with good music and interesting history.

it's got music like this in it:

:thumbup

Had you heard any Gruff before? He's incredible. The best out there right now.

Hotel Shampoo isn't too much like any Furries album, but it's definitely on the mellow side. So I'd say Phantom Power or Mwng are most similar, but I'd recommend Phantom way before the terrific but all Welsh Mwng. Phantom might be my favorite, actually. Great album.

Their discography is extraordinary though. Almost any fan will have a different favorite, and it could pretty much be any of their nine LPs.

i love the mellow/poppy vibe on hotel shampoo. it's got a great spring/summer vibe to it. and the horns on a few tracks are killer. i think rdio has SFA records so i'll check them out. that movie sounds interesting too. thanks for the tips!

Okkervil River - I Am Very Far

Much better than Stand Ins, probably better than Stage Names. Sort of seems like a return to earlier stuff, which is welcome.

yeah?

i'm not really feeling the new one too much ohwell.gif

I couldn't really get into it.

All three of his solo records are really good, and stand up well against SFA's best. I'm not sure where Hotel Shampoo would rank, but it's probably #2. Definitely locked in as my AOTY right now.

Hotel shampoo or the new Foos is my AOTY.

Thoughts?

Well, only 1 spin through and nothing like Bye Bye Love jumped out but it's definitely the Cars. Need to try at least another spin.

51gxT8BhUaL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

(Streaming at NPR.org)

And then:

5145GHW5AEL._SL500_AA300_.jpg