Former Baseball GReat Dale Murphy's take on Wilco

Dale Murphy was a guest on Jim Rome's radio show today. Jim asked him about his blog, and what bands he listens to these days. Murphy said that Wilco was his favorite. They cued up a bit of Heavy Metal Drummer in the background. Later, Dale said he also listens to The Decemberists, Arcade Fire, and Kurt Vile. Dale talked about the great music that is out there now, and that without the influence of his kids (8 of them), he would still be listening to America and 70s classic rock. Interesting take, especially coming from a 55 year-old.

Rome probably is pretty well despised by most on this board who are at all familiar with him. I find him entertaining in the same way my juvenile college friend is. He is a huge 'mats fan, so wouldn't be surprised to find out he's familiar with Wilco.

Dale talked about the great music that is out there now, and that without the influence of his kids (8 of them), he would still be listening to America and 70s classic rock. Interesting take, especially coming from a 55 year-old.

I'm 55 and I've been listening to Wilco since I was 40... :thumbup

Maxwell's Silver Hammer is horrible. Swap it with just about any Wilco tune, or Monkees tune for that mattter, and you have a better album.

Please, you can't be that misguided or arrogant. Not one note on Abbey Road can ever be changed, it's George Martin's masterpiece (along with Pepper, easily his two greatest productions).

It's like Heavy Metal Drummer, you may not like the song, but it fits on a record that can never be changed.

Now that we have heard from Dale Murphy, I anxiously await Andy Van Slyke's take.

No I don't think we have the final word on this until we hear from Pete Incaviglia

or Ivan Calderon for that matter

I think I just disrespected Mr. Murphy in the worst way?

Please, you can't be that misguided or arrogant. Not one note on Abbey Road can ever be changed, it's George Martin's masterpiece (along with Pepper, easily his two greatest productions).

It's like Heavy Metal Drummer, you may not like the song, but it fits on a record that can never be changed.

I used to hate Maxwell's Silver Hammer. Really, really hate it. And then I grew to love it -- not by itself, but in the context of Abbey Road. And it just works.

If I had to guess a current player being a Wilco fan I'd pick Mets pitcher R.A. Dickey. I've heard interviews by him. He reads quite a bit and has generally more of a thinker's mind than that of a jock.

Speaking of Mets, The Baseball Project played (or are playing) a show for Ike Davis's charity at City Winery. So I would put him on the list of possible Wilco fans.

No I don't think we have the final word on this until we hear from Pete Incaviglia

or Ivan Calderon for that matter

I think I just disrespected Mr. Murphy in the worst way?

Ouch, dude. How about Andre Dawson? They at least have pretty similar numbers, although Murphy has more NL MVPs...

I used to hate Maxwell's Silver Hammer. Really, really hate it. And then I grew to love it -- not by itself, but in the context of Abbey Road. And it just works.

Yeah, I never got the hate for that song. I know the other Beatles complained about the endless sessions to complete the song which they seem to hate but I always kind of liked it.,

I'm long past the point of even being kind of objective. I know Mr. Moonlight is kind of reviled as a Beatles tune and I actually love that song.

Yeah, I never got the hate for that song. I know the other Beatles complained about the endless sessions to complete the song which they seem to hate but I always kind of liked it.,

I'm long past the point of even being kind of objective. I know Mr. Moonlight is kind of reviled as a Beatles tune and I actually love that song.

I love Mr. Moonlight and all of Beatles for Sale.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been listening to the Beatco mix lately, and I've got to say that the Wilco songs really hold up taken in this context. I have always loved the YHF songs, and listening to them juxtaposed with the Abbey Road songs brings out a gravitas and weight that allows them to stand alongside those Beatles Classics.

• 6 years later...

Sorry to revive this long-dormant thread. I'm stuck at home with a bad cold, so I'm a little bored. Dale Murphy is my boyhood hero. Like a lot of his fans I grew up in the South. We got cable in the very early-1980s, and my dad sat me down one night in 1982, turned the TV to TBS, and told me he wanted to show me something. To that point in my life the only sport I'd been introduced to was football (which I hated because my dad yelled at the TV whenever he watched it). As soon as I saw Dale Murphy at bat, however, I fell in love with the game and discovered my hero. 

Anyway, I've met Murphy a number of times over the years. My most recent interaction with him occurred in the summer of 2016 when he came to Biloxi, Mississippi to give a speech as part of an exhibition on baseball at a local museum. Afterward he stuck around for autographs and pictures. I waited my turn and, knowing he and I share an affinity for the same band, asked one question: "What's your favorite Wilco album?" He seemed both surprised and genuinely appreciative of my question. He took a few moments to think about it and settled on a favorite of many: "A Ghost Is Born." Then he asked me if I was looking forward to the release of "Schmilco," so it was obvious he's seriously a fan. He also told me about meeting Jeff and how cool and down-to-earth Jeff is in person. I have to say that having a chance to talk about a mutually favorite band with my boyhood hero was pretty cool.