Streaming "The Whole Love"

Capitol City is the only one that I'm not diggin'. Everything else I've either liked immediately or has grown on me. Not that one though. I'm trying but...as much as I love Wilco, that's just an awful song. It sounds to me like it could be part of a soundtrack for a Dudley Moore film or something. Ack. It's bad.

Haha, yes! I am right with you. I have tried, but I give up. It reminds me of a high school musical. So cheeseball. It's baffling to me that it even saw the light of day. The bicycle bell, the train conductor? How does that happen? I cringe.

But I, too, love PW and the Leonard lyric in your signature, so we have a lot. :thumbup

• Replies 662
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha, yes! I am right with you. I have tried, but I give up. It reminds me of a high school musical. So cheeseball. It's baffling to me that it even saw the light of day. The bicycle bell, the train conductor? How does that happen? I cringe.

But I, too, love PW and the Leonard lyric in your signature, so we have a lot. :thumbup

Haha. It seems we do....and I see we both favor "haha" over LOL. I mean, it's just one more letter to type.

I love that pic of Paul. Still makes me laugh all the time.

:cheers

The sound effects during Capitol City remind me a lot of The Beatles, which is only a good thing. I think you have to step back from the song to really enjoy it. It's not meant to be taken really seriously.

I know this has been said, but this is definitely their most Beatles influenced album to date. Sunthoathe is another one.

I'm digging Message From Mid-Bar.

I wouldn't really choose to replace anything on the album with it though.

Edit:

Speak Into The Rose is also very cool. Definitely has a Spiders vibe, as someone has already mentioned...

Glad to have a couple more new tracks!

I know this has been said, but [Capitol City] is definitely their most Beatles influenced album to date. Sunthoathe is another one.

I don't know if I'd say that. They draw from a lot of pop music besides just The Beatles; many people pointed to Randy Newman. But it did remind me of When I'm 64 at first. I was playing Cole Porter's Begin The Beguine with my jazz band the other day and was surprised at how much one part sounds like Hummingbird

I just heard Tweedy and a few of the other band members talking on Sirius radio about Capitol City. Tweedy said he had been bringing that song to the studio for 15 years trying to get it on an album and that he finally snuck it on. The band was in the background laughing really hard. Maybe, he should have listened to them. :D

Probably would've been better as a bonus track.

Guest McGuffin

Hey, I love Honey Pie, When I'm 64, You Gave Me the Answer and all of the Paul stuff in that vein.

Mr. Kite, I've never liked.

And Cap City I'll probably never like either. It's a joke tune.

I look at Mr. Kite and Cap City both as being throwaways. We've had them on the last two Wilco albums, including three or four on the last one and Walken and What Light on SBS. It happens.

I love cap city and disagree that it is a joke tune unless you consider the tunes by the artists that influenced it (beach boys, beatles, van dyke parks, randy newman) are joke tunes too. I think this is very accomplished take on a certain type of song. Not arguing on your opinion of liking it or not, that's your opinion and is valid as any other. Also, i think it gives the record a nice change of pace.

• 3 weeks later...