Streaming "The Whole Love"

• Replies 662
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could someone PM me these extra tracks? Is that possible? I'd love to hear 'em and I don't plan on buying the vinyl LP because, well, I don't have the capacity to play it. Thanks!

Just FYI - these extra tracks are on the deluxe CD only (at least as far as I know). the 1 bonus track on the vinyl hasn't been leaked yet (again, afaik).

Yes, what other people said. "Art of Almost" actually sounds like Radiohead..... weird. But in a way that is really cool and probably incidental. John has some great stuff going on.... holding together a bubbling cauldron of sounds.

i thought the same thing as soon as it started - radiohead. of course, i have radiohead on my mind as of ticket announcement today. the rest of album reminds me of summerteeth and the beatles. in the best way possible :) can't wait for thursday night!

Sorry if this was posted earlier, but doesn't the verse structure of Dawned on Me sound EXACTLY the same as Glad It's Over? It's almost as if they decided this alternative incarnation of the melody fits better.

I didn't mind Glad It's Over, but this is much better. So far.

madonna-venice.jpg

Actually, this is more like it. Dawned On Me is awesome! (had to throw this in here so people think I don't like the track because it reminds me of 80s Madonna)

you guys do realize that the vinyl bonus track is a cover, right? he played a cover by that title in a solo show in the past year. can't remember who it was by. at any rate, unless he took the same title for an original of his, i imagine it's the cover song.

-justin

Last summer (2010) at Wilco's sound check for the South Bend concert, Tweedy was playing an acoustic song which he appeared to be teaching to the band with the word "sometimes" leading off several of the verses. It sounded like a Tweedy penned song to me but what do I know. I do know that VC member ditty heard it as well since we were speaking to each other around that time as we watched them from a side gate at the ballpark. Does the cover version you are thinking of also introduce several verses with the word "sometimes"?

you guys do realize that the vinyl bonus track is a cover, right? he played a cover by that title in a solo show in the past year. can't remember who it was by. at any rate, unless he took the same title for an original of his, i imagine it's the cover song.

-justin

seems odd that they would pick a cover song to close the LP instead of a track like Mid-Bar

Wilco book has some instrumentals.

And I don't hear any difference in the Black Moons either, but I was writing when I listened to the alternate, so I wasn't paying much attention.

The strings are missing. The bass playing is a little different at the end I think. That's all I could hear.

Does anyone else feel like The Whole Love borrows a lot from, or at the very least sounds similar to, Loose Fur's sound? It would make sense, obviously, but some of the tracks on TWL, specifically Sunloathe, Born Alone, Rising Red Lung, and OSM remind me very much of Born Again in The USA. Just putting that out there...

"Message from Mid-Bar" is fantastic, and "Speak into the Rose" aint no slouch either. I'd rather have these two on the album proper than Black Moon, Rising Red Lung, or Standing O.

And I'd keep all those songs... cause they're great and just replace Open Mind with Mid- Bar.

I used to play those games with Springsteen albums. You know the drill...take off Wild Billy and substitute in The Fever on TWTIATESS; Pull off Factory and substitute in Don't look back on DotEoT, add Frankie and Murder Inc. to BitUSA...I've even made a version of YHF whice includes, Venus Stopped the Train, Magazine Called Sunset and Cars Can't Escape. But this ultimately is a very dissastifying conceit. (Don't know why that got bolded...but I kinda like it in the context, so I will leave it.)

The artist ultimately has a better feel for these things. An 'album' is more than a collection of songs. At the end of the day, the albums we all love the best follow themes and are crafted to convey emotions. While the artist is not in control of how we perceive, consume or ultimately enjoy their art, I believe in giving them the latitude of deciding what they want to present. I am taking a decided personal stance against the piecemeal consuming of music (i.e. the iTunes factor). I'll download additional tracks and buy the bonus CD's, but personally, I do not put them in the same context as the general release.

To each as they will do and to each their own opinions, but this record stands on its on and is exactly what I wanted and needed.

I used to play those games with Springsteen albums. You know the drill...take off Wild Billy and substitute in The Fever on TWTIATESS; Pull off Factory and substitute in Don't look back on DotEoT, add Frankie and Murder Inc. to BitUSA...I've even made a version of YHF whice includes, Venus Stopped the Train, Magazine Called Sunset and Cars Can't Escape. But this ultimately is a very dissastifying conceit. (Don't know why that got bolded...but I kinda like it in the context, so I will leave it.)

The artist ultimately has a better feel for these things. An 'album' is more than a collection of songs. At the end of the day, the albums we all love the best follow themes and are crafted to convey emotions. While the artist is not in control of how we perceive, consume or ultimately enjoy their art, I believe in giving them the latitude of deciding what they want to present. I am taking a decided personal stance against the piecemeal consuming of music (i.e. the iTunes factor). I'll download additional tracks and buy the bonus CD's, but personally, I do not put them in the same context as the general release.

To each as they will do and to each their own opinions, but this record stands on its on and is exactly what I wanted and needed.

I agree. I've done the mix-and-match before, and it's fun, but I always come back to the original recording. I've heard the bonus tracks, and while they're a great peek at other material produced during this hell-of-a-recording-session, I personally don't feel the need to swap them for something else on the record. I was so moved by my first several listens of The Whole Love, particularly with "One Sunday Morning" as the album closer, that I really love the original 12 tracks as they're sequenced. Even as I see some folks grumble about "Open Mind," I absolutely love the way it provides some respite and change of pace after the build-up of "Born Alone."

I hear youse, and while I tend to agree, I do also know that when doing things like choosing which tracks to include and what order to put them in, there sometimes comes a moment when you are faced with two possibilities of equal merit, so it comes down to a vote, or a toss of the coin or whatever. Undoubtedly there were other working sequences or alternative sequences before this one was chosen and it would be interesting to see some of those ideas, or speculate about what they might be.

The fact that the "definitive" sequence has two variations (the bonus c.d. and the vinyl sequences) serves to underscore this. I agfree that OSM is a fantastic closer, and the effect is lost when it goes into ILML (on the rip, obviously the 2nd bonus cd will take care of that) but on the vinyl, there will be another song after OSM. I understand that it all has to do with marketing, but it also makes them look a bit indecisive.

after closer listen, I can hear the difference in Black Moon, but it really doesnt change the song that much, and I think the orchestration adds a lot to that song on the album cut. Kinda annoyed it's even on the Deluxe Cd instead of the Vinyl bonus track. The two new songs are good, but I can't believe any of you would want to replace anything on the album. After several listens I truly feel their isnt a weak song on the album. I also think that Mid-Bar is almost too pessimistic and insincere compared to the rest of the album, I can see why it was left off. The 7 min jam session that is "Rose" doesnt do a ton for me. It feels like it's missing something..lyrics maybe?

Overall I am actually kinda disappointed in the "bonus tracks"..maybe the vinyl cut will be a real gem.

and I say I am disappointed not because they arent good songs, but because they arent as good as anything on the record.