2011-12 NCAA Football

K-State now 7-0 after pummeling our in-state rivals, holding onto the Governor's Cup and claiming the victory in the Sunflower Showdown vs. KU. Now we're facing a tough four-week stretch against Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas A&M and Texas. But we're playing great football and finding ways to win. Bill Snyder continues to demonstrate why he's one of the greatest football coaches of all time. I am a little disappointed, however, that we didn't end up getting ESPN Gameday here for this weekend and they went with USC vs. Stanford. Perhaps if OU didn't drop the ball vs. Texas Tech last weekend things would be different...

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

K-State now 7-0 after pummeling our in-state rivals, holding onto the Governor's Cup and claiming the victory in the Sunflower Showdown vs. KU. Now we're facing a tough four-week stretch against Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas A&M and Texas. But we're playing great football and finding ways to win. Bill Snyder continues to demonstrate why he's one of the greatest football coaches of all time. I am a little disappointed, however, that we didn't end up getting ESPN Gameday here for this weekend and they went with USC vs. Stanford. Perhaps if OU didn't drop the ball vs. Texas Tech last weekend things would be different...

Nobody wants to go to Manhattan.

I now have a vested interest in the Big 12 since the conference has decided "900 miles away from closest opponent and all" West Virginia U. is coming in to replace Missouri or be #11 if they change their mind at the last minute. It's unfortunate it had to come to this, but the Big East is no longer tenneable as a football league. Hopefully this conference stuff will settle down for awhile after this round (said like a man who's team just upgraded.). I'm looking forward to eventual roadtrips to Austin, Norman, Manhattan, hell even Ames, Iowa, I'm going to party like I'm Larry Eustachy.

--Mike

I now have a vested interest in the Big 12 since the conference has decided "900 miles away from closest opponent and all" West Virginia U. is coming in to replace Missouri or be #11 if they change their mind at the last minute. It's unfortunate it had to come to this, but the Big East is no longer tenneable as a football league. Hopefully this conference stuff will settle down for awhile after this round (said like a man who's team just upgraded.). I'm looking forward to eventual roadtrips to Austin, Norman, Manhattan, hell even Ames, Iowa, I'm going to party like I'm Larry Eustachy.

--Mike

Hey there! Welcome! But I'm not sure it's a done deal or even a deal at all. I'd love to have the Mountaineers in the conference and get an annual rivalry going between Frank Martin and Bob Huggins. All of the college towns here in the Midwest -- and in the Big XII -- are quite charming and have great game day atmospheres. Many of us here are ready to bid farewell to Missouri at this point, since they've dragged out the issue past any point of being reasonable. Now they're just a thorn in our side. If they do end up staying in the conference, you can only imagine how unpleasant it could be after this wishy-washy bullsh*t from the last few months.

i don't like the idea of west virginia coming to the big 12, but i think that's mainly the old traditionalist in me who's been an oklahoma state fan since the mid-70s when it was the big 8. i like the idea of regional conferences where it makes geographic sense to be grouped up with other similar schools.

that said, i realize this is where the conferences seem to be going - no geographic or historic affiliation, but super conferences where it's all about the dollar.

i don't like the idea of west virginia coming to the big 12, but i think that's mainly the old traditionalist in me who's been an oklahoma state fan since the mid-70s when it was the big 8. i like the idea of regional conferences where it makes geographic sense to be grouped up with other similar schools.

that said, i realize this is where the conferences seem to be going - no geographic or historic affiliation, but super conferences where it's all about the dollar.

Pret-ty much. Growing up the son of a K-State athlete who played basketball from 1969-1972, I heard my share of perspectives on Big 8, then Big 12. It does seem odd that the actual physical footprint of a conference can be this disjointed, but like you said, the eyeballs and dollars matter most now.

Hey there! Welcome! But I'm not sure it's a done deal or even a deal at all. I'd love to have the Mountaineers in the conference and get an annual rivalry going between Frank Martin and Bob Huggins. All of the college towns here in the Midwest -- and in the Big XII -- are quite charming and have great game day atmospheres. Many of us here are ready to bid farewell to Missouri at this point, since they've dragged out the issue past any point of being reasonable. Now they're just a thorn in our side. If they do end up staying in the conference, you can only imagine how unpleasant it could be after this wishy-washy bullsh*t from the last few months.

It was a done deal yesterday, but Louisville is making a lot of noise about wanting to come too. I think they are in a better position in terms of money and can buy their way out of the Big East and take less of a cut in the Big 12 earlier, so they might jump us in the pecking order, but all indications I'm getting from people I know in the WVU athletic department is that WVU will eventually be coming along and that the Big 12 is eventually going to go back to a 12 team league, with TCU, WVU, Louisville and either University of Cincinnati or BYU as the teams replacing A&M, Mizzou, Nebraska and Colorado.

--Mike

All of this is going to make one hell of a ESPN 30 for 30-ish documentary one day: http://www.nytimes.c...tml?ref=sports.

--Mike

You are a Mountaineer fan, right? You might be interested in "3 and Out", the book that just came out about RichRod's 3 years at U of M. I always thought he never got the full support of the powers that be at U of M, and after finishing the book, I'm kind of embarrassed at just how bad things were for him. I will be the first to admit that RichRod shot himself in the foot plenty of times (poor PR skills, total abdication of the defensive side of the ball, unable to control his temper/emotions, etc.) but on the other hand, when St. Lloyd tells his players that he will sign their transfer requests before Rich even hit town, the utter disrespect Lloyd's players showed to the '08-'10 teams, and on and on, RichRod never had a chance. It's an excellent book for any fan of college football, not just the Wolverines. (And I have to admit, reading about some of those losses was not very fun for this particular alum).

They somehow think they're going to be a regular contender in the SEC. And a few of their fans that came to Manhattan earlier this month for the game apparently thought they were already in:

317035_10100221681769921_17019805_46288033_425308743_n.jpg

Note to the Mizzou fan sitting down: FAT GUYS SHOULD NEVER TUCK THEIR SHIRT IN WHEN THEY ARE WEARING SHORTS.

Plus...isn't he wearing JORTS?

You are a Mountaineer fan, right? You might be interested in "3 and Out", the book that just came out about RichRod's 3 years at U of M. I always thought he never got the full support of the powers that be at U of M, and after finishing the book, I'm kind of embarrassed at just how bad things were for him. I will be the first to admit that RichRod shot himself in the foot plenty of times (poor PR skills, total abdication of the defensive side of the ball, unable to control his temper/emotions, etc.) but on the other hand, when St. Lloyd tells his players that he will sign their transfer requests before Rich even hit town, the utter disrespect Lloyd's players showed to the '08-'10 teams, and on and on, RichRod never had a chance. It's an excellent book for any fan of college football, not just the Wolverines. (And I have to admit, reading about some of those losses was not very fun for this particular alum).

Yeah, I am a huge WVU fan. Even though he was far more successful here, everything that happened to him at UM was present in his time here. He carried himself like God's gift to football even when he was going 3-8 in his first year. We had more success defensively, but the Big East circa 04-07 certainly isn't comparable to the high end Big Ten. And on offense as great as the spread run attack can work, essentially it's only six or seven plays. When defenses had the athletes to match and contain, he never had a plan B. His final two weeks at WVU, the Pitt loss (28 point home favorites, a win puts WVU in BCS title game), coupled with his eventual departure to Michigan were among the worst moments of my life as a sports fan. Though I do feel like the widespread almost psychopathic hatred shown to Rodriguez when he left from West Virginians was shameful. The guy is a grade A prick, but he's still a human being. The one time I met him as a youngster (we were waiting for tables at the same restaurant), he seemed pretty nice. The previous season he had his first big win over a ranked team against Virginia Tech and our cornerback Brian King made the game saving INT. So, I told him "tell Brian King I said thanks," which got a chuckle out of him. I would hope the Michigan thing humbles him a little bit and he tones down some of his flaws. I'd expect he'll get another shot at a smaller C-USA level school here next year. Eventually I'll be able to be happy when he wins again, but not now, not yet.

--Mike

P.S.: Rooting for Michigan to win as much as possible this season, nothing makes Rod look worse than someone coming in and taking the team he could only get to seven wins to ten in his first year.

I went to school with Rich. We rode the same school bus.

Did you guys share smokes?

Did he steal your lunch money (or vice versa)?

Did you guys cheat off other in Geometry?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Did you guys share smokes?

Did he steal your lunch money (or vice versa)?

Did you guys cheat off other in Geometry?

Inquiring minds want to know.

I think he is three years older than me. I just knew who he was. I did not know him personally.

I think he is three years older than me. I just knew who he was. I did not know him personally.

Eh...It was worth a shot.

I could tell some stories about the one 'famous' person I know...not completely complimentary, but they are simply the age old stories about how ambition can ruin friendships.

• 2 weeks later...

Why do I have a feeling that the MNC game is going to be a rematch between LSU and Bama? Stanford's loss to the Ducks eliminates them, and I just can't see Okie State winning Bedlam. I'm just glad the Big Ten doesn't have any team good enough to be caught in this mess because they would get killed - they may only get one team in the BCS as it is looking like a Wisky/Sparty championship game, and who really thinks Sparty can pull off another upset, especially on a neutral field?

GO BLUE!!!! Beat the Huskers!!!! (an awesome game that I will be at this Saturday, should be fun for the first conference game against the Huskers in the Big House).

How in the world did Texas Tech beat Oklahoma?

I mean, Jesus, with the turd they laid against Okie State Saturday, it is simply unfathomable.