The Whole Love -- Some Perspective

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Going back to what Nap said (defending with proof of purchase) I wanted to add in that widespread notion of entitlement.

I know that there's some people out there who justify "obtaining" a leak or an uploaded direct copy of the album and not buying it because they paid to see Wilco. My friend pulled this on me. I gave him the leak because I wanted to help him know the new stuff before we saw them. He thanked me and said that he hopes that the bonus tracks show up on "his site" that he frequents to download from. I had to remind him that this leak wasn't the best sound, but good enough to get to know the new tunes. Anyways, he did mention to me awhile back that he would have never gone to Wilco (this time around) if he knew about $20 in fees (which I kind of agree on because our tickets are all will call). I bring this up because certain fans have a certain glass ceiling on how much they're willing to spend on a band.

I think this is why some people feel the need to say that they plan on buying the album (time & again). I'm happy to give my money to this band and I don't want to shortchange them. I don't buy into that "they make enough money off of other fans, so I'll lay low with the wallet". And I certainly don't want a mediocre quality rip. And I wind up doing the same thing for other bands. Friends send me links on new bands and I download it and I might listen to them once or twice. Most times I delete them to make room on my iTunes or I go out and buy the damn thing. No one is perfect and we all made mix tapes (or complete dubs) at one point in our lives.

Guest Speed Racer

But whether or not you paid for, will pay for, or didn't pay for an album doesn't affect whether or not you liked a song, and I won't judge your opinion of a song, album or band any more or less based on proof of purchase.

But whether or not you paid for, will pay for, or didn't pay for an album doesn't affect whether or not you liked a song, and I won't judge your opinion of a song, album or band any more or less based on proof of purchase.

Yes, but I don't think this was the issue a few pages back. No one was pulling this. The way I took it was what I described: more in line with supporting your band (financially) not opinion based. Or rather your opinion means less because you don't own it. I don't think people were implying that at all.

Guest Speed Racer

I know that's how they meant it. Mentioning it still has nothing to do with what they think of the album, or its perspective, or really anything except whether they bought the album.

I've enjoyed listening to the stream and the rip thereof, but I am soooooo ready to get the CD, kick everybody else out of the house, crank up the stereo and park myself on the couch with the lyrics & the deluxe whatever booklet and just take it all in for a spin or two.

I've enjoyed listening to the stream and the rip thereof, but I am soooooo ready to get the CD, kick everybody else out of the house, crank up the stereo and park myself on the couch with the lyrics & the deluxe whatever booklet and just take it all in for a spin or two.

This...except I don't do rips anymore.

This...except I don't do rips anymore.

Me too. I have a rip and listened to it once, but I'm looking forward to fully immersing myself when the actual album arrives. I also refuse to form an actual opinion of the album beyond initial impressions without hearing it this way first.

Here's hoping that 52-page booklet contains more creepy mannequins from the W(TA) sessions.

I liked the fans in the nudie suits.

The mannequin was creepier in the Elvis Costello This Year's Model photo.

Some of you display incredible restraint.

I've been married for 26 years. My life is all about restraint.