The Whole Love -- Some Perspective

My father, brother and I re-created one of the finer moments of that film when we went to Graceland. At Elvis' grave we sang Heartbreak Hotel off key exactly like they do in the movie, ending with the great lines you quoted as it does in the scene. I'm pretty sure the people standing in line with Elvis fannypacks on didn't quite find as funny as we did.

--Mike

Spinal Tap Quotes. Really made my morning a whole lot funnier:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088258/quotes

My favourite(This probably needs a seperate thread somewhere):

[Nigel Tufnel is showing Marty DiBergi one of his favorite guitars]

Nigel Tufnel: The sustain, listen to it.

Marty DiBergi: I don't hear anything.

Nigel Tufnel: Well you would though, if it were playing.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My father, brother and I re-created one of the finer moments of that film when we went to Graceland. At Elvis' grave we sang Heartbreak Hotel off key exactly like they do in the movie, ending with the great lines you quoted as it does in the scene. I'm pretty sure the people standing in line with Elvis fannypacks on didn't quite find as funny as we did.

--Mike

Oh please tell me you video'd this.

Also: perspective schmerpective, omg I love this album. It just keeps unfolding.

Also: perspective schmerpective, omg I love this album. It just keeps unfolding.

I agree. I'm not prone to hyperbole but this is a great album and its does offer up a little bit more upon each listen. Art of Almost is a classic Wilco song.

Has anyone deciphered the lyrics to sun loathe yet? I think I hear the line " The birds and the whales" somewhere in it. I'm wondering in what context that line could possibly be cool.

That's what I hear too... thought it was just me.

I guess I'm a little surprised that the praise for The Whole Love is as rapturous as it is after a mere internet stream. I think it sounds good and shows promise as a welcomed addition to Wilco's catalog, but I think it's way too early to judge this thing either way.

Since Wilco is my favorite band, any new material is going to sound great. Over time, I develop favorites from each of their albums, but some of them (mainly the last two) fall out of favor.

I also think that we are all prone to over-celebrate the entire discography of our favorite artists without really seeing the drop in quality. And that's fine, I guess. That's why they're our favorites.

But I'll use the Rolling Stones again. There's no doubt in my mind that Some Girls and Tattoo You are great albums (probably their last two great ones). But there is no way they come close to the run they had earlier in their career. So are they great albums independent of anything that came before or after? Or are they great in relation to the fact that my expectations were properly lowered due to their longevity in the business?

As this relates to Wilco...should I be disappointed that I hear a lot of these new songs as lesser forms of greater songs that came before? Or should I be happy to just have new songs I'll want to listen to occasionally?

Obviously, if you think The Whole Love is the greatest album of the century, this line of questioning makes little sense. But I don't think there is any band in the history of music that was making their best albums 15+ years into its career.

Obviously, if you think The Whole Love is the greatest album of the century, this line of questioning makes little sense. But I don't think there is any band in the history of music that was making their best albums 15+ years into its career.

Pink Floyd?

The Flaming Lips?

I guess I'm a little surprised that the praise for The Whole Love is as rapturous as it is after a mere internet stream. I think it sounds good and shows promise as a welcomed addition to Wilco's catalog, but I think it's way too early to judge this thing either way.

Since Wilco is my favorite band, any new material is going to sound great. Over time, I develop favorites from each of their albums, but some of them (mainly the last two) fall out of favor.

I also think that we are all prone to over-celebrate the entire discography of our favorite artists without really seeing the drop in quality. And that's fine, I guess. That's why they're our favorites.

But I'll use the Rolling Stones again. There's no doubt in my mind that Some Girls and Tattoo You are great albums (probably their last two great ones). But there is no way they come close to the run they had earlier in their career. So are they great albums independent of anything that came before or after? Or are they great in relation to the fact that my expectations were properly lowered due to their longevity in the business?

As this relates to Wilco...should I be disappointed that I hear a lot of these new songs as lesser forms of greater songs that came before? Or should I be happy to just have new songs I'll want to listen to occasionally?

You're generalizing based on the Stones. There are plenty of artists making great records twenty years into their career. Dwight Yoakum, The Black Crowes, Tom Waits, Rodney Crowel, and Wilco to name a few. You may not be as into this new record as the older ones but I've been listening to The Whole Love all week and it hasn't gotten annoying. The last Wilco album I can say that about is AGIB. So in my opinion it ranks right up there with the other four great Wilco albums. I see it as a stagnant period over the last two albums with a return to form for the latest.

You're generalizing based on the Stones. There are plenty of artists making great records twenty years into their career. Dwight Yoakum, The Black Crowes, Tom Waits, Rodney Crowel, and Wilco to name a few. You may not be as into this new record as the older ones but I've been listening to The Whole Love all week and it hasn't gotten annoying. The last Wilco album I can say that about is AGIB. So in my opinion it ranks right up there with the other four great Wilco albums. I see it as a stagnant period over the last two albums with a return to form for the latest.

So how have you been doing this? The stream is over. Did you capture it somehow? I don't want a copy or anything, it's close enough now to the Indy show and the release that I can wait; the stream was a good taste for me for now, so I'm just curious....

No, I think it's true of any band. But if you're willing to say that The Black Crowes, Dwight Yoakam, and Rodney Crowell are making truly great records that far into their careers, I think we have different definitions of "great."

But you're missing my point. I'm not saying anything about The Whole Love. There's no way I can form a valid opinion of it so soon. I just don't think any band is in their prime after 15 years, so when someone says they "have heard better versions of all these songs before," is that a fair criticism? Should we expect greatness this far in or should we be happy with these songs that may be lesser versions but are still good?

Maybe this is just a bad topic on a board full of obsequious Wilco fans.

You think The Final Cut or A Momentary Lapse of Reason is the best Pink Floyd album? I guess you could say Yoshimi could be in the top 2 or 3 Lips' albums. They might be close.

I was referring more to Animals and The Wall. Also don't forget The Soft Bulletin for Flaming Lips

So how have you been doing this? The stream is over. Did you capture it somehow? I don't want a copy or anything, it's close enough now to the Indy show and the release that I can wait; the stream was a good taste for me for now, so I'm just curious....

I recorded each song with my iPhone as it was streaming, no wait, I set up my video recorder and filmed the stream and I've been watching that record spin all week. Why ask me this? There are people all over this board talking about repeated listenings of this album.

No, I think it's true of any band. But if you're willing to say that The Black Crowes, Dwight Yoakam, and Rodney Crowell are making truly great records that far into their careers, I think we have different definitions of "great."

But you're missing my point. I'm not saying anything about The Whole Love. There's no way I can form a valid opinion of it so soon. I just don't think any band is in their prime after 15 years, so when someone says they "have heard better versions of all these songs before," is that a fair criticism? Should we expect greatness this far in or should we be happy with these songs that may be lesser versions but are still good?

I tend to define great music as music I enjoy repeatedly listening to and music that sticks to my ribs like oatmeal. I think the last two Crowes albums are just as good as anything they ever did. And Dwights Blame the Vain was great IMO. Also I haven't seen a decline in Spoon's output or Tom Waits.

You think The Final Cut or A Momentary Lapse of Reason is the best Pink Floyd album? I guess you could say Yoshimi could be in the top 2 or 3 Lips' albums. They might be close.

The Flaming Lips began in 1983. Clouds Taste Metallic...13 years in. The Soft Bulletin...16 years in. Yoshimi.....19 years in.

As to Pink Floyd I agree. They had thier run from '72 to '77. (IMO). I kinda consider The Wall to be a good Roger Waters album.

I'll never tell....but also, I've already pre-ordered so I'm still a good person. :rolleyes

Also I'm curious is it junkie's mile or junkie smile?

And I've pre ordered the deluxe cd as well and will be buying the vinyl from Waterloo the day it comes out. So I've already paid for the product.

it's a tad naive to assume that everyone's chiming in based on a day of streaming. I've been killing the rip and just recently got my hands on a 320kbps, which is sounding awesome. I will be buying the vinyl and taking 3 friends to the Toronto show next weekend, there's no issue as long as you pay it back

loving this album!

I'm working on an article/blog/whatever about the 2011 resurgence of three of my favorites: tweedy, malkmus & thurston moore.....all three records blew me away, especially after being underwhelmed by all of them for quite a few years....guess i have to give beck some credit too for the latter two's records

And no it's not unfair to expect greatness but you are setting yourself up for disappointment. I was disappointed in the last two Wilco albums and felt many of the songs were lesser versions of songs they had already recorded. I just don't feel that way about the new one. It doesn't feel tired or redundant. Although to be straight up fair it's all a copy of a copy of a copy of a copy. The idea is to make it sound fresh.