The only thing I can say for certain about Thurston Moore's new album is that it is kind of clever that he put vinyl surface noise on one side of his new LPs. I think it is put there intentionally because the other three sides don't have it. His new album is pleasent enough.

LouieB

Haven't heard the Thurston, but I really like the Malkmus and everything I've heard from the new Wilco.

This has been a GREAT year for new music.

well said. not a huge sonic youth fan, but may check out this record.

On a similar note, Tom Waits is still making cool stuff.

The little bit of what I've heard from his new one is the best stuff I've heard from him in years. Really looking forward to that one. Not sure why they were promioting the shit out of it a month ago when it's still not coming out until a month from now, and now the promotion seems to have dried up.

I used to love Pavement/Malk, but after a couple of listens to his new album I've sort of forgotten about it. The one song that stuck with me reminded me of Wowie Zowie era Pavement, which was great, but reminded me of "what might have been." To me it seems each one of his solo records is worse than the last.

I liked Real Emotional Trash (especially the title track and "Out of Reaches"), but Mirror Traffic has to be Malkmus' best collection since his first solo album.

It sounds like Malkmus lightened up a bit on this one and decided to have fun with it. But, yes, I would've liked to have seen a couple longer guitar solos, especially on songs like "Share the Red." Which should've been the closer, IMO.

• 3 weeks later...

Thurston and Kim split up. Statement from Matador:

Musicians Kim Gordon and Thurston Moore, married in 1984, are announcing they have separated. Sonic Youth, with both Kim and Thurston involved, will proceed with its South American tour dates in November. Plans beyond that tour are uncertain. The couple has requested respect for their personal privacy and does not wish to issue further comment.