Live Tweeting from Wilco Shows

I run a music blog in Chicago and am interested in having people live tweet from shows. If you are interested in tweeting from our feed, please drop us a line.

www.scentsandsubtlesounds.com

@subtle_sounds

jimmy@scentsandsubtlesounds.com

http://wilcoworld.net/#!/shows/

Photo and Taping Policies

2. We ask that you refrain from using your cell phones, updating Facebook, checking your e-mail, texting your friends, etc. both while driving and during concerts.

This is precisely the type of thing Tweedy has talked about at length for years -- Giving and receiving the best possible experience at a show by making a purposeful decision to be fully present. Is it really so important to know which songs are being played as they are being played?

Glad I'm not the only person who finds the idea of tweeting during a show a bit sad. Lose yourself in the performance. Is it an age thing? or just good manners. When I go to a show I listen to, and respect, the support act. When the main act starts I listen and, hopefully, enjoy. If I want a beer I'll get one before the show starts....or wait till it's finished. Hell, I can even wait till after the show to go to the toilet. When the show has finished I'll talk and enthuse with friends/spouse. The next day I share my thoughts online to anyone who is interested. That's the way I do it and I'm sticking to it. The world doesn't need to know what I'm thinking during a gig.

Rant over (I'm not normally a grumpy old man...but this type of thing has always really annoyed me). Apologies to the OP.

Guest Speed Racer

Every show I've been to has always completely sucked me in. I don't care for crowds, and I'm certainly cheap, so I don't really go to concerts as a "mixer" or social event. The lights go down and I'm only focused on the musicians for the next two hours or so. I've never understood people who thinks that concerts are a swell place to multi-task.

I also get immersed in a rock concert, especially Wilco. No phones, no talking other than an occasional whisper to my wife to explain what the song is or something. I do have a pee break song which I will keep to myself, or at least save for another thread. I really do hate the talkers, especially when they seem to want to converse during something quiet like Reservations :realmad or the uber-rare Dash 7 :realmad :realmad .

All that said... I must admit I enjoyed it when someone who shall remain nameless gave me a shout out call from the Red Rocks show a couple years back right when the "ANY - MORE" crowd blast from Shot in the Arm showed up. But I certainly don't encourage such things. No sir. Not me.

Guest Speed Racer

You can't wait two hours for bbop to post it? I don't understand the need for immediacy. Why do we, on our couches, have to know what exactly is happening at the concert we aren't at? How would that improve our lives over knowing an hour or two later?

I don't care if someone tweets during a show. I wouldn't do it myself, but honestly, this is a lot more discreet than talking, snapping photos, taking video, etc. I'm actually grateful that someone would take the time to do this for a show I can't make. Sure it takes away from their experience, but it's their experience. I'll be focused in on the performance in Minneapolis, but if someone a row over from me is tapping a song title into their phone at the start of a number, I won't give a shit, because I won't notice them.

The very first time I heard of twitter came through VC, someone was live posting the sets to the Residency shows and being very much a nerd at the time I followed along. I have pulled out a cell to track a setlist once, and left a voicemail to a good friend of mine (they went into Cars Can't Escape, I had to!). If people can do this without being dbags, I have a hard time getting my ire raised too much about it. Just don't talk on the damn thing during a show, particularly a solo one.

--Mike

I don't mind the tweeters. They don't interfere with my space. What I do mind is the cell phone picture/video takers. This summer at MMJ, I stood behind a guy who held his phone up in the air for good portions of the show taking video. I found myself watching the band through the 4 inches of his screen. Ugh! Now cut that out. If someone wants to tweet the setlist in real time, I have no problem with that. I see that others here don't get it, but I've often followed a live action setlist for shows I'm not at. My wife doesn't get it either, but I think its kind of fun.