Worst album covers of all time

Glad I'm not the only one who adores the "Circuital" cover. I've read two different stories that explain it (other than YY's just general oddness, that is), although they may not be different stories as much as two parts of the same story. Okay, this is off-topic, sorry.

I think this being the first non-photograph cover is an interesting point.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Question is - what's the criteria for determining a bad record cover? Does it just generally have to suck because it is boring (witness my previous comment about the U2 record) or perhaps offensive (Scorpions with the woman on her knees next to the Doberman, which MUST have inspired Smell the Glove)? Why not consider the entire Journey, Yes or Styx songbooks with their mid-70s fantasy art that launched a 1000 huge belt buckles and cosmically painted Chevy Vans? I should agree with an earlier posting that the initial list is lame and picks out a few (Orleans?) that are simply gone to the Where Are They Now file instead of being classics that still have lame covers. Criteria.....we need criteria.

... (Scorpions with the woman on her knees next to the Doberman, which MUST have inspired Smell the Glove)?

I was always under the impression that the bru-ha-ha surrounding the Rolling Stones' Sunset Strip billboard to promote "Black and Blue" was the inspiration for "Smell the Glove", but you may be right.

In June, Atlantic Records put up a billboard on Sunset Strip to push the Rolling Stones album Black and Blue; it showed a bound woman saying, "I'm 'Black and Blue' from the Rolling Stones —and I love it!" A new organization, called Women Against Violence Against Women (WAVAW), protested to Atlantic, which took down the billboard. Now WAVAW is demanding that Atlantic, Warner Brothers and Elektra clean up their album covers, but the companies are stonewalling. Says Warner Bros. Publicity Director Bob Merlis: "If a group wants a gorilla on the cover, they get a gorilla on the cover, unless it's illegal or there's a marketing reason why gorillas aren't a good idea."

[/left]

Now these covers are truly some of the worst (and fantastic) ever:

http://stevecarter.com/albumcovers.htm

I was always under the impression that the bru-ha-ha surrounding the Rolling Stones' Sunset Strip billboard to promote "Black and Blue" was the inspiration for "Smell the Glove", but you may be right.

When informed that the the "Smell the Glove" cover was sexist, not sexy, Nigel uttered my favorite movie line of all time: "There is such a fine line between clever and stupid"

AM is a great cover. And the only thing wrong with the Black Crowes album is that they took out the pubes. Sorry I'm a child of the 70's and 80's! I loved it!

The photograph was originally used on a 1976 Hustler magazine cover.

I like all the Wilco album covers. I'd say A.M. and Being There are my favorites.

My copy still has the pubes.

By way of my brother I have that one too - his wife made him get rid of it when their daughters reached 4 and 6. I was going to start a bit of debate with her about parenting, but I just decided to accept it.

By way of my brother I have that one too - his wife made him get rid of it when their daughters reached 4 and 6. I was going to start a bit of debate with her about parenting, but I just decided to accept it.

Interesting. I had no problem with my daughters seeing this album cover at any age really.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Some shockers here I haven't seen before.

http://blog.tastebud...rs-of-all-time/

including:

worstalbumcovers21.jpeg

And this one isn't een CLOSE to being the worse. The Millie Jackson and Orleans records were major lable releases.

"My P---y belongs to daddy"?

I laughed so hard I actually snorted

"My P---y belongs to daddy"?

And the girl with the flute: "My lips are for Blowing," classic.