Worst album covers of all time

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The A.M cover? Nothing bad about it. Of the others on that list I can agree about that Springsteen album. My stomach gets queasy looking at that. Like how did this...? Same with Pablo Honey and the Black Crows cover had the pubes poking out on the version I had so thats o.k.

Nothing wrong with the AM cover in my eyes. I've certainly seen 25 worse covers. Flip it around and I'd have YHF in one of the 25 best album covers.

And surely 'Smell the Glove' should be on that list.

"Nigel Tufnel: It's like, how much more black could this be? and the answer is none. None more black."

MMJ's It Still Moves is ridiculous...wtf is w/ that hideous bear?

I like MMJ but all their covers have been pretty horrible (with the exception of Z). The Evil Urges cover is dreadful.

For what its worth my favourite band in album cover terms are probably Lambchop, although Micah P. Hinson's covers have all been great and all in a similar style. I do like a bit of consistancy in my covers....as long as Roger Dean is not involved.

Please. There are scores of worse album covers than most of the ones listed. This guy didn't try hard enough.

Also, he's being willfully obtuse or plain ignorant regarding "Magical Mystery Tour." That album was the epitome of psychedelia, and that is clearly the motivation for that album cover. And appealing to little children is not the same as appealing to teeny-boppers.

I also refuse to take a guy seriously if he refuses to listen to, and apparently had never heard of, Creedence Clearwater Revival simply because the album was not in a pretty cover.

As for the A.M. cover: the alt-country aesthetic was pretty minimalist. There is no way any of those bands (Wilco, Son Volt, the Jayhawks, etc...) would have a flashy cover. It would have seemed ridiculous and completely alienated their fanbase.

It's not just minimalist, it's sloppy and pretty bad. I'm sure there are plenty of covers worse than a lot of those on the list, but I can definitely see somebody wanting to include it on a list like this.

I'm also not a fan of Summerteeth's cover.

For my money U2s How to Dismantle an Atom Bomb was pretty lame for a band that had done such great covers in the past. It kinda mirrored the lack of passion in the music.....

It was really just that stupid band photo to me. The rest of the graphic design and art of that era was OK, but that photo with them on that damn couch is so bad.

It's not just minimalist, it's sloppy and pretty bad. I'm sure there are plenty of covers worse than a lot of those on the list, but I can definitely see somebody wanting to include it on a list like this.

I'm also not a fan of Summerteeth's cover.

Summerteeth's a great cover. If I was rating Wilco on covers I would have to say:

YHF

ST

AGIB

BT

TWL

SBS

AM

WTA

Which, strangly, correlates with the quality of the respective records. Spooky.

I like MMJ but all their covers have been pretty horrible (with the exception of Z). The Evil Urges cover is dreadful.

For what its worth my favourite band in album cover terms are probably Lambchop, although Micah P. Hinson's covers have all been great and all in a similar style. I do like a bit of consistancy in my covers....as long as Roger Dean is not involved.

Funny this comes up because about a week ago I was showing the inside of Evil Urges to a buddy becasue he asked me which of my records art I liked most. As a whole it definitely wouldn't be my favorite but the inside part is. If you dont own the vinyl its just two glass eyes in their cases on each side of the gate. I tried unsuccessfully to find the image on the google machine.

The Spaghetti Incident? title is a reference to the Manson murders, I thought.

They cover a Manson song on the album, but the title is not a reference to Manson. Izzy showed up (finally) to attend writing session in Chicago for Use Your Illusion and drove by the Metro where they were writing and he saw Axl chucking spaghetti out the 2nd floor window in a rage. He turned the car around and never stopped in. Pretty lame if you ask me.