Best Opener

Best Opener  

126 members have voted

1. 1. What is the best opening song on one of Wilco's studio albums?

• I Must Be High
    • Misunderstood
    • Can't Stand It
    • I Am Trying to Break Your Heart
    • At Least That's What You Said
    • Either Way
    • Wilco (The Song)
    • Art of Almost

• All great songs but heard Art of Almost at NPR concert in MAryland and it sent chills up my spine. I really love the synergy that develops when the band is engaged as a whole and Art of Almost is synergy personified. When I first heard the stream of TWL I was not impressed. When I threw the CD in I thought meh. When I heard on vinyl,though, I really loved it. It starts off where you think it is a Pat and Mikael thing and maybe self indulgent. Then Glenn throws down. Jeff starts his shit. John, the man, sets to thumping. Then Nels. It is truly a masterpiece in my eyes. Every time I hear it I hear something I missed. Truly a great starter. It is a notice that the Whole Love is here, pay attention.

Otherwise, though, it isn;t a bad song. In context.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is the lone vote for Either Way a joke?

I didn't vote for it, but I thought about it. In comparison with the other songs they have used to open albums, not it's not the best, but it certainly creates a mood or a tone for the rest of the album.

It might be interesting to pick the songs that would have made better openers than actually opened the record...

Like...

Bull Black Nova for Wilco (The Album)

or

Candyfloss for Summerteeth

Impossible Germany for Sky Blue Sky?

It might be interesting to pick the songs that would have made better openers than actually opened the record...

Like...

Bull Black Nova for Wilco (The Album)

or

Candyfloss for Summerteeth

Impossible Germany for Sky Blue Sky?

I agree with the poster above that "Either Way" is a great opener for SBS. I couldn't vote it higher than 5th over all, but it works here. I think the first few notes of that song set the table for the album very nicely.

it just got another vote!.. a perfect intro to an album

I'm glad someone likes that song, it's never done much for me. How have you been, Frog? Hope things are well. My addiction to Tweedy solo boots was well served by you back in the day.

--Mike

Sky Blue Sky was the album that introduced me to Wilco and i'd had it for 2 months before i got to the point were it was played all day every day, so i guess i'm a late comer and slow starter.

For me Either Way sits perfect as the opener to SBS as it entices you in and lets the album build up with each track then leaves you all mellow after the final one.

Driving to work with the sun coming up just kicks my day off with Either Way.

I have been more successful at turning people onto Wilco than any other band in my life. No other band else is close, really. And several of those new fans had a special early connection to SBS. I've found it to a be a pretty good gateway to the band for a lot of people. Not that Wilco is a real hard band to appreciate.

I have been more successful at turning people onto Wilco than any other band in my life. No other band else is close, really. And several of those new fans had a special early connection to SBS. I've found it to a be a pretty good gateway to the band for a lot of people. Not that Wilco is a real hard band to appreciate.

I've heard a lot of people say this. It's just such a completely foreign concept to me. I guess if that's the first thing you experience from the band, then that might make the difference. But the songwriting is so weak on that album and it all begins with "Either Way." If it weren't for songs 2-5, that album wouldn't even be worth listening to.

I'm not trying to start another contentious argument about this album (there's already been plenty of that), I'm just wondering what the people who claim this think about the earlier albums in comparison.

And several of those new fans had a special early connection to SBS.

Same here! It's pretty strange... In fact, every fan I've turned on to Wilco have stated that SBS is their favorite. Must be subliminal messages on it or something that only new fans can hear..

Either Way is great.

I agree with that sentiment.

I really don't understand the visceral hatred (or at least strong dislike) that many people have for SBS. It's an aural journey through songcraft.

I guess if that's the first thing you experience from the band, then that might make the difference.

This is the answer to your question, I believe. If you haven't heard Wilco before and you get SBS you don't have thoughts like "this is a disappointing album compared to YHF" if anything new fans can give it the fairest shake it's going to get. I'm a little more surprised when I find out people who have been around the band for awhile love that one without reservation than hearing that's the one a new fan really got into. If you've never heard to anything like AGIB or YHF, SBS is a good one to give to someone who's only real exposure to anything resembling decent modern rock is an MP3 of Seven Nation Army. There's no drone, there are no noise freakouts, there are no off putting lyrics like on Summerteeth, it's not as all over-the-map electic like Being There.

--Mike

This is the answer to your question, I believe. If you haven't heard Wilco before and you get SBS you don't have thoughts like "this is a disappointing album compared to YHF" if anything new fans can give it the fairest shake it's going to get. I'm a little more surprised when I find out people who have been around the band for awhile love that one without reservation than hearing that's the one a new fan really got into. If you've never heard to anything like AGIB or YHF, SBS is a good one to give to someone who's only real exposure to anything resembling decent modern rock is an MP3 of Seven Nation Army. There's no drone, there are no noise freakouts, there are no off putting lyrics like on Summerteeth, it's not as all over-the-map electic like Being There.

--Mike

I see where you are coming from but I think you're making a broad assumption that because people like SBS which you feel they are favouring an easier listen than previous albums need to be nurtured into something more extreme. I feel previous Wilco Albums although excellent all of them don't have the songwriting maturity that SBS has and Either Way as an opener is different from all others in it's not loud it is an easy listen but it also sits in perfect flow for the album to develop. For me SBS is the sum of all parts not individual songs.

My fav other band is Sonic Youth :)

I see where you are coming from but I think you're making a broad assumption that because people like SBS which you feel they are favouring an easier listen than previous albums need to be nurtured into something more extreme. I feel previous Wilco Albums although excellent all of them don't have the songwriting maturity that SBS has and Either Way as an opener is different from all others in it's not loud it is an easy listen but it also sits in perfect flow for the album to develop. For me SBS is the sum of all parts not individual songs.

My fav other band is Sonic Youth :)

You're right I was generalizing quite a bit, and ultimately my own perception of that record (I wouldn't exactly call the Walken-What Light-Leave Me Like You Found Me triumvirate "songwriting maturity" but to each his own) is going to color any pontificating I do on it.

--Mike

I like the lyrics in Side With the Seeds, too. But, as a whole, the album pales in comparison to every other Wilco album in this respect.

Oh yeah, those are good too. But I agree here. SBS was the first new Wilco record that came out since I became a fan, so it'll have that special place for me -- but I basically started with A.M. and Being There and worked my way forward, and can clearly the see the arc of those albums.

What aspect of the songwriting on Sky Blue Sky shows maturity?

You've made it more than clear you don't like SBS. I get it. It comes into play almost everytime you comment on the quality of a Wilco album. I understand how opinions work and overall quality is subjective when it comes to music or any other form of art. That being said I don't think maturity of lyrics is quite as subjective. What are some of the specific lyrics on SBS that you would say are immature or is this just another avenue for your favorite Via Chicago past time...SBS bashing.

I think a lot of folks were taken aback after a run of records full of troubled, twisted, haunting, hopeful, poetic lyrics and imagery and then hearing straightforward, less cryptic lines like "Maybe you still love me, maybe you don't, either you will or you won't," "I do the dishes, I mow the lawn" and "I'm walkin' all by myself."

Not to say that "I'm a Wheel" has any real deep meaning -- to me, it's just a great thrasher with some nonsense lyrics.