Best Opener

Best Opener  

126 members have voted

1. 1. What is the best opening song on one of Wilco's studio albums?

• I Must Be High
    • Misunderstood
    • Can't Stand It
    • I Am Trying to Break Your Heart
    • At Least That's What You Said
    • Either Way
    • Wilco (The Song)
    • Art of Almost

I think a lot of folks were taken aback after a run of records full of troubled, twisted, haunting, hopeful, poetic lyrics and imagery and then hearing straightforward, less cryptic lines like "Maybe you still love me, maybe you don't, either you will or you won't," "I do the dishes, I mow the lawn" and "I'm walkin' all by myself."

Not to say that "I'm a Wheel" has any real deep meaning -- to me, it's just a great thrasher with some nonsense lyrics.

You can work your way thru any Wilco album and find lyrics that aren't as good as others. Not mature is just a bit ridiculous. Soundgarden's "Big Dumb Sex" has immature lyrics, not Either Way.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love SBS, but I have no idea what this means.

Yeah...I get that a lot.

Ok take a song like 'Please Be Patient With Me'

Could the subject matter have been written on any other album pre SBS? This to me shows signs of development as a writer. Taking life experience and gifting us a beautiful song. For you = Kid Rockers listen to Impossible Germany and hear a band that has developed into World class musicians interjecting noise you love so much with real interplay between every Instrument. Dad Rock rules!

Ok take a song like 'Please Be Patient With Me'

Could the subject matter have been written on any other album pre SBS? This to me shows signs of development as a writer. Taking life experience and gifting us a beautiful song. For you = Kid Rockers listen to Impossible Germany and hear a band that has developed into World class musicians interjecting noise you love so much with real interplay between every Instrument. Dad Rock rules!

Please Be Patient With Me is reminiscent of Please Tell My Brother. Different adult subject matter done basically the same way.

You've made it more than clear you don't like SBS. I get it. It comes into play almost everytime you comment on the quality of a Wilco album. I understand how opinions work and overall quality is subjective when it comes to music or any other form of art. That being said I don't think maturity of lyrics is quite as subjective. What are some of the specific lyrics on SBS that you would say are immature or is this just another avenue for your favorite Via Chicago past time...SBS bashing.

I guess it depends on your definition of "mature songwriting." To me, Sky Blue Sky was a huge step backwards in this department. Not only were the lyrics generally straightforward, but they were also banal, trite, hackneyed, etc. Either Way and the whole second half of the album are the worst offenders (even Impossible Germany).

As for musicianship, the approach of guys in a room playing songs has been lauded by those that like Sky Blue Sky. To me, it mostly sounds lazy. The ballads drag and the other songs go in predictable places.

As for musicianship, the approach of guys in a room playing songs has been lauded by those that like Sky Blue Sky. To me, it mostly sounds lazy. The ballads drag and the other songs go in predictable places.

Not wanting to be being argumentative, but just what songs are you referring to here?

I guess it depends on your definition of "mature songwriting." To me, Sky Blue Sky was a huge step backwards in this department. Not only were the lyrics generally straightforward, but they were also banal, trite, hackneyed, etc. Either Way and the whole second half of the album are the worst offenders (even Impossible Germany).

Not sure that this applies here, but apparently Jeff is getting pretty sick and tired of all the complaints. For What it's worth...

"I "People claim we're forever dumbing down. I think we've been pretty dumb all along. And defiantly so. It's pop music. We want to make pop music. I love pop music.

"And to be honest, the execution of the simpler songs are much more difficult than throwing some sounds together and saying you're subverting a form.

It's easier for people to take the p*** out of something they can understand than it is to have a pop at something which might prove embarrassing because they haven't understood it."

He adds: ""If someone is coming at a new album really wanting to have the same experience that they had with some other record then that can't be met.

"I don't know what we can do to meet those expectations other than ignore them," he concludes, before adding: "I don't think we put out any s***."

Not wanting to be being argumentative, but just what songs are you referring to here?

Hate it Here, Shake it Off (although this one drags, too), Either Way, even You Are My Face, which I like. There's nothing on SBS that has them taking full advantage of the personnel in the band. It's just guys playing in the studio, which might sound good to the people playing it but lacks any kind of punch for an outside listener.

You can look at the five previous albums and find something sonically adventurous littered throughout each of them, to go along with mesmerizing lyrics from Tweedy that improved from album to album. None of that exists on Sky Blue Sky.

Again, bleedorange has it exactly right. Even the live version of Impossible Germany, for me, is just waiting for the inane minimalist lyrics to be over so we can all "enjoy" the mighty Nels wankfest. I almost used it for a piss break in Atlanta.

By the way, I have stated multiple times here that I consider Jeff to be one of America's greatest songwriters (or words to that effect). So it was doubly disappointing for me, as a writer, to hear lyrics like "I remember my mother’s sister’s husband’s brother" or "I do the dishes, I mow the lawn" (I write my grocery list, I rub one out...). Compare that to 99% of S/T or YHF, and we shouldn't even have to have this conversation...

Again, bleedorange has it exactly right. Even the live version of Impossible Germany, for me, is just waiting for the inane minimalist lyrics to be over so we can all "enjoy" the mighty Nels wankfest. I almost used it for a piss break in Atlanta.

By the way, I have stated multiple times here that I consider Jeff to be one of America's greatest songwriters (or words to that effect). So it was doubly disappointing for me, as a writer, to hear lyrics like "I remember my mother’s sister’s husband’s brother" or "I do the dishes, I mow the lawn" (I write my grocery list, I rub one out...). Compare that to 99% of S/T or YHF, and we shouldn't even have to have this conversation...

"Always bet on black...black jack...I'll pay you back"

"Dimetapp and Spinal Tap"

"Oh hey ho...look out below"

"Playin Kiss covers beautiful and stoned"

"Hello private callers,ID's blocked"

I guess this stuff is all flawless. Nothin inane or minimalist here. :thumbup

Anyone can comb through a band's catalog and pull out the most cheeseball lines to make a point. Find the lines anywhere in SBS that measure up to the staggering beauty of Via Chicago - this board was named after it for a reason - Misunderstood, Sunken Treasure, She's a Jar, I Am Trying to Break Your Heart, or any of a dozen other songs on the other albums... They don't exist. There are a few well-written lines scattered throughout SBS, but as bleedorange has already said,

You can look at the five previous albums and find something sonically adventurous littered throughout each of them, to go along with mesmerizing lyrics from Tweedy that improved from album to album. None of that exists on Sky Blue Sky.

It's amazing that there is such a heated discussion over a record that came out FOUR YEARS ago.

It's easily the most polarizing album in their entire catalog.

But dude...it's not METAL MACHINE MUSIC.

SBS contains a few songs with some straightforward lyrics. So what? Tweedy's proven he can do great word play...seriously, as good as anybody. He's proven he can populate a song with great images. I'm convinced...he's not starting over with me with every song he writes. If he wants to do a song like "Either Way", where his words are straight ahead, and his meaning quite clear...it's ok. It may not be my favorite song, but it doesn't tell me a damned thing about his capabilities. It tells me what songs he felt like writing at that point in time. That's it.

So many of the songs on SBS are exquisitely constructed. Freaking Swiss watches. Some of the most sophisticated moments in Wilco's catalogue are found on this album. And organically so. When people claim that this album is simple, or uninspired, I just know they are listening to a different album than I am.

Since when is here a statute of limitations on debate?

Certainly not. But the amount of anger and frustration some have for this record seem to be derailing the matter at hand.

But, passionate posts certainly add a little spice around here.

Back to the OP.. Either Way for me sits perfect to unfold a great album in Wilco's catalogue and love it or loathe it stirs emotion in people seemingly more so than the others listed. What's best? who cares they're all great thats why you keep buying and listening.

7 posts in and realise why i don't post much on forums..

Good Luck