Best Opener

Best Opener  

126 members have voted

1. 1. What is the best opening song on one of Wilco's studio albums?

• I Must Be High
    • Misunderstood
    • Can't Stand It
    • I Am Trying to Break Your Heart
    • At Least That's What You Said
    • Either Way
    • Wilco (The Song)
    • Art of Almost

Art of Almost is looming larger every time I take another trip through the new album. The second half of the song is so terrific that for my first few listens I found myself waiting for it...but lately I'm enjoying the first half as much, if not more. It's easy to say it's another great opener, one of the band's bests. But their absolute best?...that's tough to say. Just wondering what others think....

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I voted for Misunderstood but it was a close call between that and IATTBYH. And Art of Almost, while I absolutely LOVE it, just hasn't had enough settling in time yet.

Misunderstood just throws down the gauntlet, I think, in the same way that Art of Almost does.

At Least That's What You Said seems to say so much lyrically and musically about what is to follow that it cements its position as #1, closel followed by Misunderstood and Art of Almost.

ALTWYS seems to be a counterpoint, companion piece and/or an answer to She's a Jar. It also tells you everything you need to know about that incarnation of the band in a musical sense. It's a freaking masterpiece (IMO).

Is the lone vote for Either Way a joke?

I turned a guy onto the band who was already a huge Radiohead and King Crimson fan. I think "Either Way" was a breakthrough song for him...the first song by the band that he really loved. So I guess you never know (good thing that song isn't on the list).

I turned a guy onto the band who was already a huge Radiohead and King Crimson fan. I think "Either Way" was a breakthrough song for him...the first song by the band that he really loved. So I guess you never know (good thing that song isn't on the list).

That's just weird to me. Even though Either Way isn't my least favorite song on Sky Blue Sky, it practically ruins the album for me from the get go. It's such a horrible table-setter.

And I really like Can't Stand It.

I've got to go with "Misunderstood." It capsized any expectations anyone may have had that Being There was going to sound like a continuation of A.M., and it was the band's foray into jarring, experimental sounds. Not to mention it's simply a fantastic song. I don't think IATTBYH, ALTWYS, and AOA are far behind, though.

the answer is IATTBYH of course. That song changed the world

kinda hard to disagree with that. it's the one that best says "OK, get ready for something you never thought you'd hear, let alone hear and love".

definitely some other very good contenders for that role, but only one best.

kinda hard to disagree with that. it's the one that best says "OK, get ready for something you never thought you'd hear, let alone hear and love".

definitely some other very good contenders for that role, but only one best.

I guess I must have Misunderstood when I voted, because I did not vote for I Am Trying To Break Your Heart.

It's a close call between Misunderstood, IATTBYH, and ALTWYS, but I'm going with Misunderstood because it laid out the fact that the band was travelling down roads into territory unexplored. the others broke new ground for the band but by then we were expecting that of them. don't have a cluse what's going on with my fonts.