Your top 3-5 of 2011

Yeah, just three (or 5 if you really can't narrow it). Let's try to keep it short and sweet: just the ones that you really love.

Mine, in no real order:

Yep - Once

An album of almost entirely covers, done by a couple of guys who know how to breathe new life into classics without radically changing them. They just pull out all of these wonderful aspects, melodies, harmonies, and emotions that were always there that you never really noticed before. A brilliant record.

Raphael Saadiq - Stone Rollin'

A fresh take on old school soul, a la Sly Stone. From a man whose been doing it for a long time. A shot of adrenaline and bring a smile to your face!

Ivan Julian - The Naked Flame

One of the quintessential punk sidemen (Matthew Sweet, Richard Hell) releases his first album as a frontman, and tears the roof off. Sounds a lot like the folks that he's played with before (more Hell than Sweet), but that is not a bad thing. Especially since those guys aren't releasing records like they used to.

The Bangles - Sweetheart of the Sun

The band writes all their own songs (thank God) and picks some really great covers themselves. Plays their own instruments too, making this the true followup to their wonderful 1984 debut -- All Over the Place. Fans of the old Paisley Underground sound from the early 80's should definitely pick this one up.

Of course, my list will probably shift around as I see some of your postings, but for now, this is mine.

Let's see it!

EDIT: Still need to give the new Wilco a couple more good listens. And, I have that Cults album arriving in my inbox any day now, and that one seems promising.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO, there haven't been any all time greats this year. Nothing I am likely to dust off in 20 years. That said, I judge albums by how listenable they are front to back, and I don't really care about any pretense, just whether or not I enjoy them. So, with that in mind, in no particular order:

5144wm9NJCL._SX100_.jpg

51BCAe-lpGL._SX100_.jpg

61%2B8K-FOk8L._SY100_.jpg

51wZfmud7CL._SS135_SL160_.jpg

These I can put on & just listen. No filler. Heck, Yuck's non-album B-side (Milkshake) isnt half bad either.

Honorable Mention: Wilco - TWL; Bon Iver - S/T. Both of these have their moments (Calgary, One Sunday Morning), but I skip songs on them regularly. Ditto Washed Out - Within & Without. Also considered: Rosebuds - Loud Planes Fly Low, and Devotchka - 100 Lovers.

Invariably, I have forgotten something great. I reserve the right to change my mind and include it.

Kurt Vile - Smoke Ring For My Halo. One of the best records not just of this year, but the last 10 years.

Wilco - TWL - Strong record. Not their best, but very strong and definitely in my top 3 for the year.

Daniel Romano - Sleep Beneath The Willow - This album made me a Romano fan for life. It's how Country is supposed to sound. Not the pop garbage you hear on the radio.

Daniel Romano - Sleep Beneath The Willow - This album made me a Romano fan for life. It's how Country is supposed to sound. Not the pop garbage you hear on the radio.

Yeah, this is a great record. Have to listen to it a few more times, but it might make the top of my list before long, too.

Yeah, this is a great record. Have to listen to it a few more times, but it might make the top of my list before long, too.

Yeah it may take you a few listens but if you are into the rootsy country sound, it doesn't get much better.

I also recommend his first record "Working For The Music Man". I actually like it even more.

TWL doesn't count on a fanboard right?

DBT - Live at Third Man

Middle Brother - Middle Brother

The Baseball Project - Broadside Ballads

The War On Drugs - Slave Ambient

Dawes - Nothing Is Wrong

5 only?Ok hidden track is Deerhoof/Tweedy & Co - split 45

Top 6 because Wilco doesn't count lol.

1. Wilco - The Whole Love

2. Bon Iver - Bon Iver

3. Laura Marling - A Creature I Don't Know

4. Tom Waits - Bad As Me

5. Fleet Foxes - Helplessness Blues

6. Gillian Welch - The Harrow & The Harvest

I'm going to make a big album lists thread so we can post our Top 50's or whatever. Ye ye!

No order....

Go Go Boots-Drive-By Truckers

Nothing Is Wrong-Dawes

The Whole Love-Wilco

Harrow & Harvest-Gillian Welch

Ashes & Fire-Ryan Adams

Fly From Here-Yes

Here We Rest-Jason Isbell

A Dramatic Turn of Events-Dream Theater (never ever liked them, but this album is anthemic!)

Mockingbird Time-Jayhawks

What's It All About-Pat Metheny

A Treasure-Neil Young

Forgotten gem

MOJO TOUR 2010 EXPANDED EDITION TRACK LISTING

1. Listen to Her Heart

June 25, 2010

Summerfest-Marcus Amphitheater, Milwaukee, WI

2. King’s Highway

June 16, 2010

Rexall Place, Edmonton, AB

3. You Don’t Know How It Feels

July 31, 2010

Wachovia Arena, Philadelphia, PA

4. I Won’t Back Down

September 19, 2010

Verizon Wireless Amphitheater, Charlotte, NC

5. Drivin’ Down to Georgia

August 11, 2010

Philips Arena, Atlanta, GA

6. Breakdown

August 15, 2010

Jiffy Lube Live, Bristow, VA

7. Jefferson Jericho Blues

August 1, 2010

8. First Flash of Freedom

August 1, 2010

9. Running Man’s Bible

September 18, 2010

Time Warner Cable Music Pavilion, Raleigh, NC

10. I Should Have Known It

June 16, 2010

11. Good Enough

July 31, 2010

12. Refugee

June 12, 2010

Gorge Amphitheater, Quincy, WA

13. Runnin’ Down a Dream

October 7,2010

U.S. Airways Arena, Phoenix, AZ

14. American Girl

June 16, 2010

I've been trying to narrow my list down. Here is my top five, in alphabetical order, which is subject to change:

St. Vincent - Strange Mercy

Starfucker - Reptilians

Wye Oak - Civilian

YACHT - Shangri-La

Yellowbirds - The Color

I have a lot of honorable mentions, but I can put all those in the other thread.

I have about 12 in contention for my top ten at the moment. The top 5 are locks. Order not yet determined.

Wilco The Whole Love

The Decemberists The King Is Dead

J Mascis Several Shades of Why

Crooked Fingers Breaks in the Armor

Kurt Vile Smoke Ring for My Halo

Josh T Pearson Last of the Country Gentlemen

The Low Anthem Smart Flesh

Richard Buckner Our Blood

Robert Ellis Photographs

Gillian Welch The Harrow and the Harvest

Waters Out in the Light

1) Tom Waits - Bad as Me. (Wow!)

2) Wilco - The Whole Love (Its really really good).

3) The Decemberists - The King is Dead. (What a pleasant surprise).

4) DJ Shadow - The Less You Know the Better (Another great album from Mr. Davis)

5) Olafur Arnalds - Living Room Songs (..and relax!)

6) Bon Iver - Bon Iver (Have overdosed on this one but still amazing)

and

7) Mercury Rev - Deserter's Songs (This one is cheating 'cos its a re-issue but I have just got the vinyl edition (Lights in the Attic) with a signed picture of Johnathan and Grasshopper (only 100 made) so I'm gonna shoehorn the 'Rev into ever thread I post in this week!! (Holes, Opus 40, Goddess on a Highway, Delta Sun...one of the greatest album ever made.)

Also looking forward to the new Roots and Common albums which ares due in a couple of weeks. The tracks I have heard from both so far have been great.

....and what happened to My Morning Jacket. I love them guys but this is the second record on the spin (no pun intended)that has left me cold.

Yellowbirds - The Color

So glad someone mentioned that. My wife & kids absolutely love The Rest of My Life. I think they thought it was George Harrison. Anyway, I have that record too, and not to sound creepy, but it seems we have somewhat similar tastes. That's not the first time we've agreed.