Your top 3-5 of 2011

Dawes - Nothing Is Wrong

The Whole Love-Wilco

Middle Brother - Middle Brother

Drive-By Truckers - Go Go Boots

Ryan Adams - Ashes & Fire

The Deep Vibration - The Deep Vibration

Foo Fighters - Wasting Light

I really wish I could add Radiohead's King of Limbs, but I can't. I was pretty disappointed.

Edited by Crow Daddy Magnus®
  • Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My favorite 5 from this year:

REM - Collapse into Now

J Mascis - Several Shades of Why

Bon Iver - S/T

Foo Fighters - Wasting Light

Mountain Goats - All Eternals Deck

Lots of enjoyable records this year. This list could have been so much longer...

top 5, in no particular order (yes, it's been a very middle brother-inspired year):

Dawes - Nothing is Wrong

Deer Tick - Divine Providence

DBT - Go-Go Boots

Middle Brother - Middle Brother

Wilco - The Whole Love

Close 2nd 5:

Bon Iver - Bon Iver

Frank Turner - England Keep My Bones

Glossary - Long Live All Of Us

Glen Campbell - Ghost on the Canvas

Tommy Stinson - One Man Mutiny

TV on The Radio was probably the biggest disappointment this year; just never clicked with me like their previous albums did.

Year's not even done yet. GEEZ.

True. But I love these lists cause it allows slackers like me to catch up on all the stuff I've missed.

So far, the releases from Girls , Malkmus+Jicks , Fucked Up, Unknown Mortal Orchestra and Waits come to mind as favorites.

Although there's probably something as good as any of those I'm leaving out and will remember 10 minutes after this post.

So glad someone mentioned that. My wife & kids absolutely love The Rest of My Life. I think they thought it was George Harrison. Anyway, I have that record too, and not to sound creepy, but it seems we have somewhat similar tastes. That's not the first time we've agreed.

I think you're right about our similar tastes from what I can remember. That Yellowbirds album was the first thing I heard this year that really jumped out and grabbed me. And I think I listen to "Our Good Days Are Gone" at least once a week.

7) Mercury Rev - Deserter's Songs (This one is cheating 'cos its a re-issue but I have just got the vinyl edition (Lights in the Attic) with a signed picture of Johnathan and Grasshopper (only 100 made) so I'm gonna shoehorn the 'Rev into ever thread I post in this week!! (Holes, Opus 40, Goddess on a Highway, Delta Sun...one of the greatest album ever made.)

I don't think that it counts as a 2011 release.

That said, it is my favorite Mercury Rev album.

I don't get the Dawes thing. I know people are giving me e-smacks in the face right now because everyone seems to love him, but I've tried a few times.. Just don't get it.

You are not alone. I tried hard to get into Dawes, and on paper, it sounds like it'd be right up my alley, but after seeing them live last month, I'm convinced I just don't care for them. They are really green, to my ears. Maybe in a few years they'll turn into something I'll like, but right now I'm not digging it. Waaaay too much Jackson Browne in their sound for my tastes, and I like (early) Jackson Browne.

#1. Rich Robinson - Through a Crooked Sun Black Crowes guitarist and music-writer comes into his own as a songwriter and singer with an introspective set of songs tailored to his own singing voice and bringing together a nice set of less-than-mainstream 70s rock and folk influences (Manassas, Nick Drake, Woodstock-era Dylan, early Pink Floyd and early Fleetwood Mac, etc).

He's quietly become a master-craftsman composer and has, IMO, left his more famous brother in the dust when it comes to solo projects.

#1. Rich Robinson - Through a Crooked Sun Black Crowes guitarist and music-writer comes into his own as a songwriter and singer with an introspective set of songs tailored to his own singing voice and bringing together a nice set of less-than-mainstream 70s rock and folk influences (Manassas, Nick Drake, Woodstock-era Dylan, early Pink Floyd and early Fleetwood Mac, etc).

He's quietly become a master-craftsman composer and has, IMO, left his more famous brother in the dust when it comes to solo projects.

This description intrigues me.

Very, very much.

Nice one. I'll have to check it out!

This description intrigues me.

Very, very much.

Nice one. I'll have to check it out!

I'll be curious to hear what you think. Even most Crowes fans don't seem as excited by this album as I am, but its not very Black Crowes-like music. I think its a fricking masterpiece and I've been listening to it every day since it came out about a month ago.

You are not alone. I tried hard to get into Dawes, and on paper, it sounds like it'd be right up my alley, but after seeing them live last month, I'm convinced I just don't care for them. They are really green, to my ears. Maybe in a few years they'll turn into something I'll like, but right now I'm not digging it. Waaaay too much Jackson Browne in their sound for my tastes, and I like (early) Jackson Browne.

My wife and I had the opposite reaction to Dawes....we absolutely loved seeing them last month at our local festival. Before, I wasn't too into them, but seeing them live changed that. I liked their newest record a good deal, but now my wife can't get enough of them.

I don't think that it counts as a 2011 release.

That said, it is my favorite Mercury Rev album.

I know, I just had to mention it somewhere and the 2011 re-issue is a thing of beauty. Hopefully we will get a new record from Mercury Rev in 2012. I loved their most recent album but it seemed to go under the radar somewhat.

• 1 month later...

I guess it's time for me to revive this thread since I was the one to complain about it. Let us usher the end of 2011 into the present, 14 days early!

05 Drake - Take Care

04 PJ Harvey - Let England Shake

03 Weeknd, The - House Of Balloons

02 Destroyer - Kaputt

01 James Blake - James Blake

I sure do wish we weren't limited to top 5. :/

if i HAD to pick just 5:

Stephen Marley - Revelation Pt.1: Root of Life

Ryan Adams - Ashes & Fire

The Roots - undun

Wilco - The Whole Love

Jason Isbell - Here We Rest

but i did a Top 15: http://bumslogic.wordpress.com/2011/12/15/more-best-albums-of-2011/

and a Top 10: http://bumslogic.wordpress.com/2011/12/01/top-10-albums-that-we-reviewed-from-2011/

a friend said that 'Bon Iver' is French for 'as boring as Iron and Wine'

I've heard similar reviews before...but, I disagree, as evidenced by my top 3 list. I went to their recent show in Madison and the latest album comes off much better live...no skimping on the volume, either.

Rich Robinson - Through A Crooked Sun

Circuital - My Morning Jacket

The Whole Love - Wilco

Pressure and Time - Rival Sons

Revelator - Tedeschi Trucks Band

Biggest Disappointment: Mockingbird Time - The Jayhawks Letting Mark Olson take over the band ruined the band, IMO.