Dallas 11/29/2011

also read this:

http://blogs.dallaso..._music_hall.php

there was no curfew issue, they band just wasn't feeling it from the crowd and I don't blame them

Can you imagine the Wilco of 1997 giving up on a crowd that wasn't in to it? Jeff would have grabbed 'em by the throat and wrecked the venue to get the crowd in to it.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although I wasn't at this show I feel compelled to to bring this up:

Night 1 of the first leg, 21 songs, 1 hr 50 minutes

http://viachicago.org/topic/46113-wilco-91311-indianapolis-in/

Night 1 of the second leg, 22 songs

http://viachicago.org/topic/46621-wilco-241011-glasgow/

Night 1 of the third leg, 20 songs, 1 hr 43 minutes

It's possible the band set expectations too high on paper and then the Turkey from last week wore them down :yawn

They're human. A show is an interactive experience and they, for who knows what reason, didn't feel it. Cut 'em some slack. You enjoyed the show. Don"t let the Internet change your opinion.

That's all well and good, and I certainly agree with the sentiment intellectually.

But emotionally, I feel,,,,cheated.

Let me say this once again...Can you imagine the Wilco of 1997 giving up on a crowd that wasn't in to it? Jeff would have grabbed 'em by the throat and wrecked the venue to get the crowd in to it.

Although I wasn't at this show I feel compelled to to bring this up:

Night 1 of the first leg, 21 songs, 1 hr 50 minutes

http://viachicago.or...ndianapolis-in/

Night 1 of the second leg, 22 songs

http://viachicago.or...241011-glasgow/

Night 1 of the third leg, 20 songs, 1 hr 43 minutes

It's possible the band set expectations too high on paper and then the Turkey from last week wore them down :yawn

And I'm sure before the next record and tour, when Jeff is making his media rounds, he'll have some reflections over complaints about setlists and show length.

Meh. Offer up thoughts about disappointments with certain issues and you become a pariah.

Meh I say...MEH

Well...apparently some bands get their feelings hurt and cut the show short...(I promise I'll stop. I just need to vent)

can you please send me the link where the band made the statement that their feelings were hurt because the fans in the venue were not as exuberant as they would have liked? I'm sure that was the first time songs that appeared on the stage set list were not played. :ermm We saw Wilco history! :rock

are u talking about the show when Erykah Badu got up on stage for a song? If I remember correctly, the crowd went apeshit for that and most of that show. Also, the last Palladium show was prob the best Wilco show I've ever seen. Only been to 4 tho

Yeah, I was at that MMJ show and it was great. There's plenty of video available for it, people were going nuts over the (almost) three hour set. And yes, the 2007 show at Palladium was my favorite Wilco show ever.

It also never fails that the people who think that all gripes over a show are invalid, are always the ones who weren't there.

It also never fails that the people who think that all gripes over a show are invalid, are always the ones who weren't there.

i was there and i think the gripes for this show are invalid.

Except for OSM as the opener all the songs i enjoyed throughly. Not that i don't like the tune but it's just a little bit of a downer tempo for opening a gig. :yawn It did make Poor Places>Art>IM a nice tempo changing, rebound jolt.

They played well, they played long enough for my taste, and it was nice to hear a lot of new songs. Is all the criticism of this show because the band sucked or you thought the crowd sucked? :ohwell

Maybe i'm defending the show more then i normally do because i was part of the crowd... but so were you! Next show i promise if you start "the wave" i'll join in if it helps your experience. And i never do the "wave" :wave

Except for OSM as the opener all the songs i enjoyed throughly. Not that i don't like the tune but it's just a little bit of a downer tempo for opening a gig. :yawn It did make Poor Places>Art>IM a nice tempo changing, rebound jolt.

They played well, they played long enough for my taste, and it was nice to hear a lot of new songs. Is all the criticism of this show because the band sucked or you thought the crowd sucked? :ohwell

Maybe i'm defending the show more then i normally do because i was part of the crowd... but so were you! Next show i promise if you start "the wave" i'll join in if it helps your experience. And i never do the "wave" :wave

I enjoyed the show. Just not as much as every other Wilco show I've been to. It wasn't solely because of the crowd necessarily, but my own perception of a lack of energy in the band, which I attribute to the disengaged nature of the crowd in general.

It was a professional but by-the-books performance. But Tweedy had very little to say, seemed a little disinterested in playing to the crowd, and played a three-song encore. Those were all firsts in my experiences with Wilco shows.

And the subtle inclusion of One Wing there too.

But look at what Austin got for a freaking Television Taping.

And You'll know when I'm whining bub.

Probably not. My whinedar isn't all that sensitive.

TV taping...well now, that's a national audience, not just the cocaine and boob job set. No offense to any cocaine or boob job afficionados intended.

I enjoyed the show. Just not as much as every other Wilco show I've been to. It wasn't solely because of the crowd necessarily, but my own perception of a lack of energy in the band, which I attribute to the disengaged nature of the crowd in general.

It was a professional but by-the-books performance. But Tweedy had very little to say, seemed a little disinterested in playing to the crowd, and played a three-song encore. Those were all firsts in my experiences with Wilco shows.

Jeff did mention the band got sick in Europe. And It was the first stop on this tour leg after a holiday soon after returning from Europe.

Hearing the show again after the fact, there is no evedice of lack of energy IMO. I guess it is nice if Jeff engages the crowd on occasion. He is pretty funny after all. But i don't let it affect the bottom line, which for me is the music.

Maybe i have just gone to too many shows in my life and it's not so much about the "party" anymore. So i could care less about the crowd reaction as long as those around me aren't rude or obnoxious. Espceially on a Tuesday when i have work the next day. I got good play from the band, plenty of new songs i had not heard live before. Was it the epic show of all shows? No but i didn't go in expecting it to be.

The band was just fine, the crowd was atrocious. My section, specifically. We had trash thrown at us and obscenities yelled for standing up at a concert. That's bullshit by any standard. The band themselves were good, but it was a lower tier performance. But that's only because I've seen them ten times, something has to be at the bottom. By comparison to every other show I've seen, their energy was lower and the set was shorter.

I don't get why people are scoffing at any criticism about this gig. It's only natural to compare it to other Wilco shows you've been to.

Dallas was also the first night of this leg after some time off, think that had an effect?

Probably. I've seen other acts the first night of a tour and for bands that change their setlists every night, the first shows sometimes end up being the shortest and worst, in my opinion.

The band was just fine, the crowd was atrocious. My section, specifically. We had trash thrown at us and obscenities yelled for standing up at a concert. That's bullshit by any standard. The band themselves were good, but it was a lower tier performance. But that's only because I've seen them ten times, something has to be at the bottom. By comparison to every other show I've seen, their energy was lower and the set was shorter.

I don't get why people are scoffing at any criticism about this gig. It's only natural to compare it to other Wilco shows you've been to.

If in fact the section you were sitting and that stuff happened to you, I can see why you feel the way you did. But you seem to be in the minority. Why didn't you ask a usher to move you or report the behavior? My wife and I went with 2 other couples and we all sat in different areas of the venue and none of us had the fan experience you did. FB wilco post? Pretty much all positive. Having a smoke with random fans out side after the gig? Every one i came in contact with seemed to enjoy the gig.

You're telling us that your whole section sucked? All thirty rows deep and all fifteen seats across in your section?... all those people there were atrocious? I find that hard do believe. Consider maybe, one or two dip shits that you had the bad fortune to draw a seat by ruined it for you. To bundle the group as a whole is not fair. Better luck next time with your seating draw man. I like Wilco fans, but there is always a chance you will run into one or two in a live concert setting that misbehaves.

I'm from Australia, and have seen them 5-6 times back home. All fantastic, some of the best I've ever seen from any band. The first time I saw them, I was surprised by how funny/engaging Jeff was, really helped to get the crowd involved. Sounds like that didn't happen in Dallas for whatever reason.

I moved to Austin a year ago and drove down to see them in Houston. That concert was quite average for me, compared to the other Wilco shows I've seen, but reviews on here were glowing and make me think I went to a different show. So everyone has a different opinion based on other Wilco shows they've been to.

My favourite band back home is You Am I, and I went to see them play in Chicago a few months ago (didn't come to Austin). They played a small place with a small crowd, most seemingly unaware of too much about the band. It was nowhere near their best, still a great show, but completely different to the adoring crowd they get back home. By the way, Pat from Wilco and one of Wilco's guitar techs (an Aussie) were in attendance and I had a quick chat and some beers with them after the show, really nice guys.

I don't want to sound like some snob, but Austin is very much a music town, and almost every touring band I watch seems to be happy to be in Austin. The crowd seems into it, and both work to make for usually great shows. Don't know if you can say the same for Dallas or Houston, I'm not qualified to comment.

I live 200m from where they are playing, and walked past around 1pm yesterday. and heard them practicing. Jeff gave an interview sometime during the day (maybe the morning?). In the interview, Jeff said he "felt like an Austin guy" and that it was the only city in N.America that his wife might think about moving to. So they had commitments in Austin fairly early (considering the travel from Dallas after 11pm) and sounds like they were looking forward to coming here. Of course 15-20 minutes shouldn't matter in the scheme of things, but if they weren't feeling it in Dallas, maybe they felt like the show should end. The band was probably prepared to play a longer set, but in the end thought ... stuff it, we've played long enough for these folks, it's the first night of the tour, we've got two nights in Austin coming up which will be great, let's call it a night.

Can't wait for tonight. A friend went last night and said it was fantastic.

If in fact the section you were sitting and that stuff happened to you, I can see why you feel the way you did. But you seem to be in the minority. Why didn't you ask a usher to move you or report the behavior? My wife and I went with 2 other couples and we all sat in different areas of the venue and none of us had the fan experience you did. FB wilco post? Pretty much all positive. Having a smoke with random fans out side after the gig? Every one i came in contact with seemed to enjoy the gig.

You're telling us that your whole section sucked? All thirty rows deep and all fifteen seats across in your section?... all those people there were atrocious? I find that hard do believe. Consider maybe, one or two dip shits that you had the bad fortune to draw a seat by ruined it for you. To bundle the group as a whole is not fair. Better luck next time with your seating draw man. I like Wilco fans, but there is always a chance you will run into one or two in a live concert setting that misbehaves.

I'm not talking about the experience of everyone else, I'm talking about mine. I wouldn't care if the entire venue shared a differing opinion because mine is the only experience relevant to a post about...my experience at the show. My whole section sat, the rest of the venue stood. Have you read my other posts? I did move, and did talk to an usher. I had a good time. The first two pages of this thread is full of people saying the crowd sucked, so don't sit here and talk like I have some unique situation that went unnoticed by everyone else just because you saw some people fawning over the band on Facebook.

I've got one last post and then I'll stop 'pissing all over this thread' and stop 'whining'.

I am pretty down that I have been totally sidetracked by the poor opinion that some people had about the show.

I'm a grown man (WAY past 21) and I should be able to shrug it off.

I should have been able to move past the negative opinions of others and post about my adventures at the show with my son, but a lot of the joy of sharing personal stuff here has been leached away for me. Notice how I now refer to the 17-year companion of my declining years as 'my son' and not by the nickname I have called him for years? Notice how I don't engage in the 'stories from the world of crow' anymore? It's just not fun any more. I'm just as shallow and just as deep as my posts appear. And I don't feel like sharing that anymore.

However, the negative (unflattering?) posts about the show supported thought in the back of my head that the band cut it short. Jeff hardly bothered to attempt his usual awkward stage banter. A three song encore? It doesn't matter how obsessed my son and I are. We are just a part of a vague and faceless crowd.

While my son and I certainly enjoyed the show, the aftermath and the subsequent set lists from Austin have changed things for me. It probably shouldn't, but I am only human. The opinions of others I have grown to have an intenet respect for do matter to me.

My obsession with the band could never possibly be supported by the band. It is an unrealistic expectation that the band should care what one internet poster thinks.

It's an unrealistic expectation that an internet board should care about one poster thinks.

So...I won't tell the what i think to be charming and fun stories I have about this show. I will chalk the whole experience down to the usual disappointments realized only in reflection.

There.

I'm done.

I know I'm late to this thread but I just gotta throw this in here: I thought this set list was absolutely fantastic! I completely dug the first 3 songs, OSM --> Poor Places -- Art of Almost was pure magic. And the rest of the show was what I had hoped for as well, but in my opinion this was my favorite way to start the show. I was in the balcony and didn't even notice the crowd, I was focused on the stage. And here's something else for ya - I could have gone without listening to ITMWLY yet again, would have rather heard "My Darling" from Summerteeth but whatever, I for one thought the show including the lights was great. I agree that they didn't seem "as into it" as I have seen in the past, but I think it was just a darker set list.

Good show Wilco!

I'm a little late as well, and new here, but would like to add my perceptions/experience of the Dallas show.

First off, this was my first Wilco show. Arriving at the venue, I didn't get the feeling that I was about to attend a charged, rock concert. The soon-to-be audience seemed very mild in behavior and almost gave off the feeling that we were attending a low-key acoustic set of music rather than Wilco. Nonetheless, I was excited.

Although I loved Nick Lowe, I can see how such a laid back one man acoustic opener could have kept the energy low. Maybe the opening act is what influenced their decision of starting off with OSM. One of the biggest things I noticed was in between Lowe and Wilco. The lines for alcoholic beverages were atrociously long. I'm guessing there were about 80 people in each concession line when Wilco hit the stage. From the band's perspective, it may not have been the most energy-inducing to see a half empty venue. OSM was over and then people began to file in the theater a little more.

Overall, I had a blast despite the strange vibe. I personally got excited, moved, and sung along with most of the songs. The set list was supreme in my opinion. The gems for me were Art of Almost, Capitol City, Shot in the Arm, and I'm the Man Who Loves You. The only song I sorely missed was Via Chicago. I've long wanted to hear them play that one live. I'd also have liked to have heard The Late Greats or Kingpin, but oh well. They can't play their whole catalog in one evening (though I'd happily sit through it!)