Solid Sound 2012?

So, will there be a Solid Sound 2012? If so, what dates?

Last year, the official announcement was sent out on December 10 (more than six months before the event) and tickets were on sale in mid-January. So far this year, nothing via e-mail, Nothing. Nothing. (Repeat 32x)

By contrast, the announcement for 2010 was made in April, about four months before the event.

Nothing on http://solidsoundfestival.com/ and nothing on Wilco's Facebook page, either, except for a recent comment from some guy who says he talked to John at an Autumn Defense gig "and he said they weren't sure if they were going to do it this year."

Anyone heard any rumors?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately, it seems like there have been more rumors that they'll skip it this year, than any definitive plans for holding it. (Scattered throughout VC world). I'll bet they are reluctant to announce if they're not doing it, anticipating much wailing and gnashing of teeth from fans.

But, like going to the dentist, they should just get it over with, if it's bad news! We're all anxiously awaiting a decree from on high....

Hear, hear! PLEASE let us hear. If they're not going to do it this year, I will be really bummed, but I'm a big girl and I can take it. The suspense is driving me crazy, though.

Plus, if they don't do Solid Sound this year, I'm going to start whining BIG TIME about adding some East/Southeast tour dates!

Come on guys, yes or no. I was getting ready to cancel my hotel for June 22-24 before the end of the year to avoid paying money but figured I'd check here to see if there was any news and saw this thread. It would be nice to have another one, but if not, just tell us. We'll still go in 2013.

I remember somebody on here who got to talk to a wilco crew or management person (maybe at one of the central park shows?) and they had apparently said that it wasn't going to happen this year, but this shouldn't be taken as gospel. It should however be noted, as smells like flowers said, there have been way more rumors about the fest not happening as opposed to when it will be happening this year, so that isn't a good sign.

here >>

Just got home on the train after two nights in the Big Apple. I liked the Thursday night show better that Friday's. One reason was probably the rain and standing back near the bleachers and not up close as on Thursday. Expected more of a varied set last night. Since we also attended the show in Boston I'd heard most of the songs played three times. I expected to hear the new stuff again and thought they would do what they did at Solid Sound and play different tunes the rest of the show. I also don't dig them starting the show with my new bathroom song "One Sunday Morning". I didn't have to go yet. Kind of boring as well as far as I'm concerned for the start of a concert. Other highlights: Walked over to the Dakota and Strawberry Field before last nights show. Kind of like Dealey Plaza to me. A tragic place. Spent Friday afternoon staying dry watching the movie Moneyball at a Times Square theater. Pretty good flick with some Red Sox moments in it for you fellow Sox fans. Met Jim Leyritz at Mickey Mantle's after the Thursday show. Kind of a strange place to meet a guy who has had his disastrous moments with the bottle. Overall, when you include the live Letterman concert, a great 4 nights of Wilco for me. By the way, I spoke to a Wilco management type who was standing back near the soundboard last night before the show and he told me the Solid Sound dates for next year are not finalized yet. So those June22-24 dates might not be the ones. When I asked him if he was sure, he said he should know since he's the one who is involved in the scheduling. But he did say we would know within a month so I guess it is on anyway. I've looked into booking rooms for that weekend and everything is pretty much gone already. I guess we'll all find out soon.

http://viachicago.org/topic/46244-wilco-92311-central-park-summerstage/page__hl__+solid%20+sound__st__20

I can attest to that conversation...

Can you also attest that you find ONE SUNDAY MORNING to be a snoozer?

I just called the hotel I booked for June 22-24 to cancel my reservation and to avoid making payment or cancellation fees. I had until Dec. 31st so I wasn't taking any chances of getting stuck with a $400 bill and no festival to attend. I did ask the person at the hotel if they had heard anything about the festival. For what it is worth, he was told it was going to take place this year but he had no dates. I cancelled. We'll see...

Yes, all the innkeepers seem to believe it's going to happen, but I think they're listening to the same rumors that have been going around since last year. All kinds of people were telling us this very specific stuff that they have a 5-year agreement with Mass MoCA. I heard this from the Holiday Inn, two different B&Bs, and even a parking lot attendant who was very adamant that he had "insider" knowledge.

FWIW, I sent an email to Deb Bernardini mentioning that the natives over here on VC were getting restless and hoping for some kind of word one way or another. I told her that we know Wilco loves us, and if they're taking a year off I'm sure there's a good reason, but we'd love to hear something so we can make summer plans! No response yet, but I have to admit it was a pretty cheeky thing to do.

FWIW, I sent an email to Deb Bernardini mentioning that the natives over here on VC were getting restless and hoping for some kind of word one way or another. I told her that we know Wilco loves us, and if they're taking a year off I'm sure there's a good reason, but we'd love to hear something so we can make summer plans! No response yet, but I have to admit it was a pretty cheeky thing to do.

Way to grab the bull by the horns, Diane! You've got grande cojones.

Yes, all the innkeepers seem to believe it's going to happen, but I think they're listening to the same rumors that have been going around since last year. All kinds of people were telling us this very specific stuff that they have a 5-year agreement with Mass MoCA. I heard this from the Holiday Inn, two different B&Bs, and even a parking lot attendant who was very adamant that he had "insider" knowledge.

Yeah, but Tweedy did that radio or tv interview during the England swing in the fall, and he made it very clear that maybe they will, but certainly maybe they won't in '12. Hard to believe there's a contract already in place for '12 based on his comments.

Yeah, but Tweedy did that radio or tv interview during the England swing in the fall, and he made it very clear that maybe they will, but certainly maybe they won't in '12. Hard to believe there's a contract already in place for '12 based on his comments.

I agree. I've always been dubious about those rumors, ever since the band made no reference at all to "next year" at last year's SSF. Whereas after the first year, they made several remarks about coming back the following year. So I've been kind of pessimistic all along--but i guess I still haven't given up hope.

The bright note is that in that same interview you mention, Jeff says that even if they do skip 2012 they will definitely be coming the following year. And Jeff doesn't lie, does he?

This has been up forever. It seems to be based on nothing, nothing, nothing. . . nothing at all. I submitted a query ages ago asking where the information came from and if there were any updates, and I never got a response. I don't think it's a believable source, unfortunately.

from Wilco's Facebook:

The next Solid Sound Festival will be held June 21-23, 2013 at MASS MoCA in North Adams, Ma. The three-day event will take a one-year hiatus in 2012, but Wilco will perform at the North Adams, MA museum this summer in a concert to benefit MASS MoCA. The exact date of the benefit concert will be announced shortly. http://solidsoundfestival.com/