Solid Sound 2012?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So what's the status on everyone's hotel reservations for SS2013? Are folks going for reservations this far in advance, are they even letting people make reservations yet? Seems pretty far away, but you can never be too sure about these things.

Here's a link with a little bit of an explanation from Tony Margherita: http://www.iberkshir...rce=top_stories

NORTH ADAMS, Mass. — The Solid Sound Festival will not return this summer but will be back in 2013.

The last two years the concert, organized by the band Wilco, attracted thousands of people to the Massachusetts Museum of Contemporary Arts. This year will be a hiatus for the festival but it is scheduled to return in June of 2013.

"The festival is dearly loved by all of us - from the band to the staff who organize and execute it - so the decision to take 2012 off was not an easy one," said festival co-organizer and Wilco manager Tony Margherita in a press release. "However, with the release of Wilco's latest album, The Whole Love, on their own newly launched label, followed by a lot of touring both home and away, well, we've had a pretty crazy year. All that factored in to deciding that the best thing for us and for the festival would be to give ourselves enough time and energy to really focus on making Solid Sound 2013 the best one yet."

The band plans on performing a special benefit concert this summer at MoCA but the date of that show has not been set.

"We also understand the financial impact that taking the year off will have on MASS MoCA, our incredible host and not-for-profit partner in the festival," Margherita said. "It is our hope and intention that this summer's benefit concert will lessen that impact and present Wilco with another opportunity to bring our fans to a place that is very dear to us."

The 2013 festival is scheduled for June 21 through June 23. A lineup and ticket information is expected to be announced in the next few months.

Damn, I'm disappointed, but now I guess it's time to focus on where they might announce new tour dates somewhere on the east coast. I can't quite see driving up to North Adams for a single benefit concert.

As to hotel reservations, the Holiday Inn says they are not booking that far out--they book about one year ahead, according to the reservations person I spoke with. No idea about the policies at other properties.

So does anybody know how to get to North Adams, Ma. from Chicago without a car? I know i can fly or get a bus into Albany, but from there I'm stuck.

EDIT: Looks like I can get an Amtrack train from albany to North Adams! Looks like this might be possible to me to go to after all.

Hello, I was wondering if anyone knew if Wilco was planning on doing another year of Solid Sound? I have never gone, and after reading about last years event, I think I want to make the trip. So I had a few questions...

When do they usually announce the dates?

What did the ticket prices run last year?

If you are flying in, what is the easiest/cheapest way to do so? Is it cheaper to fly into NYC and then take a train? I live in South Florida.

Do any of the hotels offer shuttle service or are walkable to and from the venue?

Any other advice on general planning would be awesome as well.

Thanks, Mike

I've merged these two topics, since they were both on the front page of this forum, and were called exactly the same thing. :)

You'll find some answers to your questions above (some info about Amtrak, etc.), and I'm sure some other folks will chime in. All of these things were definitely discussed prior to the 2011 and 2010 festivals, too, you may find some answers by searching the archives.

can you guys answer my other questions then?

What is the closed city to fly into, where we can get transporation?

Albany, NY is about an hour away, Hartford, CT is about an 1 1/2. 3 hours from Boston and maybe 3 1/2 from NYC. Apparently there is Amtrak from Albany to N Adams, but getting from the airport to train could be problematic. I would get the cheapest flight to Albany, Hartford, or Boston and rent a car.

I agree. Fly to Albany and rent a car. The plane / train coordination will be more trouble than it's worth, in my opinion. The Amtrak station is not convenient to the airport. Plus, there is no Amtrak station in North Adams. I think the closest is Pittsfield, so you'd still have to get to North Adams from there. I'd be ready to shoot myself at that point.

Last year my wife and I flew in to Albany and rented a car. The drive to North Adams is very easy, and it's convenient to have wheels if you're staying a few miles outside of town as we were.

I had to go to NYC after the festival, so my wife dropped me off at Amtrak in Albany where I took another train to Penn Station. I agree with everyone else here. The train station is a long way from the airport and it's not al all easy to move between the two locations.

So does anybody know how to get to North Adams, Ma. from Chicago without a car? I know i can fly or get a bus into Albany, but from there I'm stuck.

EDIT: Looks like I can get an Amtrack train from albany to North Adams! Looks like this might be possible to me to go to after all.

the past two years i have rented a car at the Albany airport on price line for 12 bucks a day. i'm sure the train is more then that...

Shoot, that sucks about the bus/train. I don't have a car, and I can't drive. However, I could've sworn i saw an online schedule for a bus from the Pittsfield train station to North Adams. I might have no choice to take the train/bus route, if the plane is too pricey. The hotel prices will add up, too.

• 2 months later...

From another Via Chicago thread:

"I have a Google alert set up for Solid Sound 2012 and just got a link to an interview with Joe Thompson, the head of Mass MoCA. It's a pretty long but interesting article, about the economic realities of the museum and the impact of the Solid Sound Festival, etc., but buried within the article is this little nugget:

'Wilco is coming back to play a concert this summer in late July or early August.''

That's the first I've heard of any specific timeframe information. We know they'll be at Forecastle on July 15 and at a Swedish festival on August 10, so I guess we should stay on the alert for maybe some northeast shows after Forecastle."

And...From a mid-March post on facebook from Wilco's official page there...

Pam Fradkin When will you be at Mass MoCA?

2 hours ago · Unlike · 1

Wilco still working on Mass MoCA date. hope to have that for you soon....

• 2 months later...

The bed and breakfast we have stayed at for both of the SS's has a room available for SS 2013. The innkeeper, Laura, was holding a room for us but was requiring a 3 night stay, which we don't need, so we passed on it. It's called Blackinton Manor, is only a mile or two from MassMOCA. Breakfast is great and the owners very nice (a little quirky, but very nice).

I called the Holiday Inn a couple of months ago to see if they were taking reservations for next June. The guy I spoke with said that although they were not taking reservations that far in advance, the hotel was already booked for Solid Sound. My guess is that they are blocking rooms for performers/artists at the festival.