2011 Concert year in review!

Here are some of my favorite shows of the year

1. Cure -Beacon Theater, NYC Three Imaginary Boys, 17 Seconds and Faith....45 songs later with the encore! What a show!

2. Radiohead- Roseland...major pain to get tickets,waited 4+ hours before they got on and was squished like a sardine but still worth it.

3. Wilco- Central Park..in the rain..fun times...new stuff sounded great..went the night before too good times..

4. Soundgarden- Prudential and Festival Pier Finally saw them live....Cornell can still wail!

5. Echo and The Bunnymen-Irving Plaza Crocodiles and Heaven Up Here...woot!

6. Paul Mccartney-Yankee Stadium...guy can still put on a hell of a show.

7. Jayhawks- Greene Space was only 30 minutes but hung out with the band and sat front row! Also saw the TTGG and HTH shows at Webster Hall and the Beacon show...this was the year for Jayhawks shows for me! 4 times in 1 year!

8. Medeski, Martin and Wood-Whitney Museum, Free show, some oldies played I love band played on floor with no separation from the crowd. Band has been on fire recently!

9. LCD Soundsystem- MSG, Terminal 5 Great end of career shows. MSG show was 4 hours long?!

10. Ryan Adams- Carnegie...I was impressed...good setlist too!

Whoops forgot Elbow-Terminal 5....greeeeeeat show!

:guitar

good thread, i was meaning to collect my thoughts and this thread is as good as any impetus.

i did see two of your listed tours (Echo, Wilco).

shit...i just hit 'save changes' forgetting that i was editing a post...it's not quite ready yet

i just did the rough math...i saw 64 different shows this year, as well as three festivals that had at least 30 acts at each. i think that total is down a bit from last year, but it's still well over 200 different performances i shot (i also saw a couple that i didn't shoot, most notably Wilco's show at CitiWang as i hate their shooting restrictions, only to find out later that photographers were allowed far wing access at the stage). as such, a top 30 list seems reasonable, as that's about the top 15% and i saw a LOT of great shows this year. In no particular order:

Neko Case @ the Wilbur Theatre....beautiful voice and great songs. super funny between songs banter. a perfect venue for seeing her. what's not to love?

p588878106-4.jpg

The Church @ Showcase Live. They played three entire LPs (Untitled #23, Priest = Aura, Starfish) and sounded great on all of them. One of the best two guitar teams ever, Koppes and Willson-Piper.

p487423405-4.jpg

Alvarius B @ PA's Lounge. A *super rare* chance to see Alan Bishop play a solo show...he's only done a handful, and i think most if not all were in Seattle, where he's lived for a while now. Twisted folk songs and wide-eyed paranoia never sounded so good.

p618692328-4.jpg

OFF! @ The Middle East and Paradise Rock Club Keith Morris' new band smokes like it's punk rock in 1978 all over again. hot damn. saw 'em twice, both times off the hook good.

p31763826-4.jpg

The Joy Formidable @ Brighton Music Hall. Jaw-droppingly powerful performance from this Welsh trio that is gonna be huge.

p607206639-4.jpg

There's a site limit to the number of photos i can post, so rather than cut this into several posts, i'll just keep the narrative:

Mike Watt @ TT the Bears. Punk rock legend, and rightfully so. i haven't seen him on stage in a non-Stooges lineup since fIREHOSE in the 90s. his hyphenated man record was ace, and sounded great. did a couple Minutemen songs too.

Come @ Oberon. Though I saw them (improbably) twice last year when they reformed for the Matador 21 thing and did a warmup gig prior to leaving for Vegas, this spring's show was equally as good and had a new song or two in the set list. another of the all-time best two guitar attacks with Thalia Zedek and Chris Brokaw.

Grails @ Great Scott. They released my favorite LP of the year, and played a great set in the augmented, six person band. de facto leader Emil Amos is at home on drums or guitar; truly a force.

Echo and the Bunnymen @ The Paradise. This show almost didn't make the top 30 cut because Ian was feeling pissy and dropped the encore closer of "The Killing Moon," but it was still awesome to hear all the stuff off their 1st two LPs. is there a better 1-2-3 starter than Show Of Strength > With A Hip > Over The Wall?

Thinking Fellers Union Local 282 @ Midway Cafe, ATP curated by Animal Collective, and ATP curated by Portishead

Much like seeing Come three times in less than one calendar year after a decade+ of them disbanding, seeing the Fellers was amazingly great. what a versatile band that sounds like no other.

The Brothers Unconnected @ ATP curated by Animal Collective. Richard and Alan Bishop play some songs from a post-Charlie Gocher Sun City Girls in such a way that evokes joy, sorrow, and even a bit of anger.

Khaira Arby @ ATP curated by Animal Collective. I had never heard of this singer from Mali, but she and her band absolutely tore it up on stage, and the singers from Group Doueh were right up front having a great time themselves.

Melvins @ The Paradise. In the span of two nights, they played an essential chunk of their early output...Stoner Witch, Egg Nog, Bullhead, Lysol and Houdini. and in typical Melvins fashion, they totally re-arranged the song order, and bludgeoned the audience for two hours+ each night. no opener, no stage banter, no bullshit. just crushing sound.

Wilco @ Solid Sound Festival and CitiWang. all three shows were great, and different. the CitiWang show was great as they showcased more of the new record (including a heart-stopping opening version of "Art of Almost"), and even the downpour of SSF night 1 couldn't dampen the crowd spirits (cf. the sing-along on "Hell Is Chrome" when the power momentarily shut off).

Pillow Wand @ SSF. total, uncompromising noise, done by two veterans. Nels and Thurston were a tough listen at times, but it was always fascinating.

Woods @ Brighton Music Hall. This band is one I never really listened to all, and they really played a great show as support for Kurt Vile. Rural psychedelia.

Six Organs of Admittance @ Great Scott. I've seen Ben Chasny play a bunch of times, but this show was his finest moment. Incredible guitar player. RIYL awesomeness.

My Morning Jacket @ Bank of America Pavilion. Another band that never disappoints in the live setting. The last two records have been uneven, but on stage it's never a question. last year i thought they blew Tom Petty off the stage, to be honest.

The National @ Bank Of America Pavilion. I'm not a massive fan but I can appreciate what they do, and they have really grown into a solid live unit from when i first saw them in 2007. this show was the very tail end of their tour, and they played a lot of deep cuts.

Big Dipper @ Lizard Lounge and Regent Theatre. Another band that i could be accused of having nostalgic feelings for, but their "Robert Pollard" song that was just written is just as fresh and catchy as anything they did in the late 80s and early 90s.

Swans @ Royale, and ATP curated by Portishead. This is a band that will not make you feel good, it's a harrowing, oppressive blanket of sound and emotion that they slip over your head and pull the drawstring tight.

Shellac @ ATP curated by Portishead. shows by Shellac are rare, unless it's an ATP event, where they seem to be the house band. and when Albini isn't on stage, he's manning a poker game in the hotel. their set on the 1st night was good, but they played a secret matinee in the bowling alley to start Sunday, and it was all sorts of awesomeness to be that close to such a powerful trio.

Marc Ribot's Ceramic Dog @ ATP curated by Portishead. Ribot's mainly known for his playing with Tom Waits and John Zorn, but he's got a lot of good projects and solo works out as well, and this was a rare chance to see this master play his guitar. A pity he bagged on sitting in with Oneida on their 8 hr Ocropolis set.

Portishead @ ATP they curated. They played two sets, and i only saw some of the 1st night as I needed to hustle over to see Factory Floor. But i saw the entire 2nd show, and even though I'm not a big fan, they really impressed me.

Wild Flag @ The Paradise. Not a big S-K fan but damn this show blow me away. Such infectious good fun, and Carrie and Mary form one hell of a guitar tandem.

The Damned @ The Middle East. Much like the Echo/Bmen show, this was a play the album gig, with Damned Damned Damned and The Black Album and on the course for tonight. another one of those shows where stuff like "Curtain Call," "Twisted Nerve" and "Fish" are played, and it's unlikely they will be played again.

Scratch Acid @ The Paradise. David Yow called it a re-enactment rather than a reunion, but as i never had the chance to see this Texas band play (they broke up in the late 80s and he and David Wm Sims would go on to form The Jesus Lizard), I jumped at this chance and they sounded great.

Drive-by Truckers @ House of Blues. The 4th time I've seen them, and finally the first time that it all clicked onstage. great set list, and great fun. I guess we'll find out who Shonna's replacement is soon.

Mark Burgess @ TT the Bears. Another nostalgic pick? Perhaps. But the power of The Chameleons songs is something I will never tire of....one of the best post-punk bands who never got their due.

The Roots @ House of Blues. Incredible musicianship, with a hefty dose of realism and humor.

honorable mention:

Wino @ Mercury Lounge. played an acoustic show and did some covers of Townes Van Zandt, Motorhead, The Grateful Dead and Joy Division along the way. A true rock icon.

Public Enemy @ ATP curated by Portishead. Still one of the most important hip-hop bands...they did _Fear of a Black Planet_ as well as other stuff, and played for over two hours to make up for Mogwai's late cancellation.

Agalloch @ The Middle East. PacNW black metal band makes a rare tour stop out East. Equal doses of power, brutality, and melody.

J Mascis @ Brighton Music Hall. A much louder show than I was expecting, in a good way. J is always good to see on stage (including him sitting in w/ Buffalo Tom for a few songs later in the year).

Holy Sons @ Royale. Emil Amos of Grails solo project...again a very rare occurrence as he played support to fellow Portlander Steve Malkmus.

Kurt Vile @ Brighton Music Hall (twice), ATP curated by Animal Collective, and in-store at Newbury Comics. Still waiting for the one show to blow me away, but he's consistently solid.

Elder @ Great Scott. I only saw their last song, but damned what a song it was. looking to hear more live action from this riff-happy trio soon.

good thread, i was meaning to collect my thoughts and this thread is as good as any impetus.

i did see two of your listed tours (Echo, Wilco).

shit...i just hit 'save changes' forgetting that i was editing a post...it's not quite ready yet

i just did the rough math...i saw 64 different shows this year, as well as three festivals that had at least 30 acts at each. i think that total is down a bit from last year, but it's still well over 200 different performances i shot (i also saw a couple that i didn't shoot, most notably Wilco's show at CitiWang as i hate their shooting restrictions, only to find out later that photographers were allowed far wing access at the stage). as such, a top 30 list seems reasonable, as that's about the top 15% and i saw a LOT of great shows this year. In no particular order:

Neko Case @ the Wilbur Theatre....beautiful voice and great songs. super funny between songs banter. a perfect venue for seeing her. what's not to love?

p588878106-4.jpg

That is a fantastic shot of Neko.

2011 was a better year for shows for me, mostly because all the bands I like to see live actually toured in the southeast a LOT!

I got to see Old 97's 5 times over a 7 month period, including an awesome 2 night stand at Mercy Lounge in Nashville in July (almost didn't get to go because a week prior I was diagnosed with mono after being sick for 2 weeks. the doctor let me go only requesting that I sit down the entire show, the best part was the band was cool enough to let me sleep backstage before night 2, definitely one I will remember for a long long time).

Saw Wilco 3 times in a 5 day stretch, which for me is record breaking for any band. The Ryman shows were amazing.

Saw the Avett Brothers last night in Chattanooga for the 2nd time (1st was in 09) and last night's set blew the 09 show outta the water.

Honorable mentions include Dr. Dog and Lucero.

Since the kids were born, I don't get to many shows, period and this year was no exception. But, one major show that I did get to this year was:

Ray Davies @ The Chicago Theater

My parents won 6th row center seats and gave them to me, knowing that I would appreciate them more than they would. First time seeing one of my all-time favorite songwriters and he did NOT disappoint. Voice still sounds great (even if a little aged), and the songs are... some of the best ever written.

Ray is a freak and, being so close to him, it was obvious that he was having as good a time as the audience was. So, so happy that I got to this one!

Second place...

Raphael Saadiq @ Park West, Chicago

He released one of the best albums of the year, and put on a show to match. High-energy, start to finish, with an ace backing band. Love this guy!

Many of you have favorites lists longer than my entire 2011 concert calendar! Still, I loved every show I saw:

The Decemberists w/ Justin Townes Earle ( Initially I was more interested in Justin, but The Decemberists converted me to a superfan by the end of the night.)

Josh Ritter w/ The David Wax Museum (The Animal Years is the only Josh Ritter album I ever fully loved, but his live show was surprisingly fun. The David Wax Museum was a nice suprise.)

Grace Potter and the Nocturnals (I'm not a huge fan - especially since their last album - but the concert was free and they put on a great show. The opening act was forgettable.)

My Morning Jacket w/ Neko Case (Second time seeing MMJ, first time finally seeing Neko. Possibly my favorite concert ever.)

Justin Townes Earle w/ Shovels & Rope (I was excited to see Justin as a headliner. Very entertaining show with beautiful music. Shovels & Rope were another great surprise.)

Drive-By Truckers w/ Jessica Lea Mayfield (I finally got to see DBT as a headliner after a disappointing show with the Hold Steady. DBT were incredible as expected, Jessica needs some work but shows potential.)

Wish I could remember everything I've seen this year. But a pretty good year for live shows I'm sure.

Caught 4 Wilco shows, all of which top my list. Jazz Fest, Solid Sound and Wang.

Other highlights were everything at Jazz Fest second weekend, especially the Royal Family Ball late night with Soulive and Lettuce. And Arcade Fire was a big surprise. Warren Haynes Band at the Orpheum. Tedeschi Trucks at Harborlights. Phish at Great Woods. Furthur earlier in the year at the Orpheum. X at the Paradise on the Los Angeles tour, was great to see the 4 of them up on stage, it had been a while. Lucinda at the House of Blues. Soulive and Lettuce on my birthday at the House of Blues.

Worst show that stands out: Foo Fighters at Boston Garden. I went because a friend strongly encouraged me to go, and because Social D was opening. Just do not like the Foo Fighters.

My favorites:

Wilco @ Metro (saw all Shrinking Chicago shows and thought this was the best)

Pearl Jam Destination Weekend Sunday show - like the last day of summer camp

The Head and The Heart @ Metro - great to see a breaking band find their audience

Bob Seger @ Rosemont Horizon - grandpa doing his 70's fm radio thing with no shame

U2 @ Solider field - opening with 4 Achtung tracks sold me.

Honorable mention: Wilco @ Opera house.

Worst: Yo La Tengo @ Metro - Seinfeld show disaster.

But the greatest live rock show that one could have the privilege of experiencing is by far Dr. Dog

Fixed it for you. :thumbup

Only saw a few shows this year.

The Flaming Lips - The Tabernacle - Atlanta, Ga. My first lips concert. They performed The Soft Bulletin in it's entirety. It was epic, one of the best shows I've been to. My only complaint is that it took them a long time to set up the different instruments in between songs, which kind of killed the momentum. But still an amazing experience. And oh yeah, Mariachi El Bronx opened the show. I never knew a Mariachi band could rock this much.. And I was surprised to learn that they are normally a Hardcore band, but the Mariachi thing is an alter-ego. A fun show!

Kurt Vile - The 40 Watt - Athens, Ga. It was as good as I was expecting. A big sound for three guitars, drums and no bass. Kurt had sort of an awkward, shy stage presence, but this did not take away from the awesomeness. Plus it was cool to finally see a show at the famous 40 Watt. A great show and would love to see him again.

Dr. Dog - The Orange Peel - Asheville, NC. Excellent as always. It was great to see the new drummer for the first time and to hear the Shame Shame material. Can't wait to see them again in March at the same venue, one of my favorites.

not in order...

The Low Anthem at SPACE in Portland in February

The Barr Brothers @ TT the Bears Place in Boston in April and again at One Longfellow Square in Portland ME in December.

Jeff Tweedy in Portland, ME in March

Paul Simon at the House of Blues in Boston in May (i think...) or June...

Dinosaur Jr at Port City Music Hall in July

The Tedeschi Trucks Band at the Ocean Gateway in August of 2011

Elbow at the Paradise in Boston in September

Wilco at the Wang Theater in Boston in September

Murder by Death in October at the Dover Brick House in Dover, NH

the Flaming Lips at the State Theater in Portland in October ( i think).

plus a bunch of awesome local/ smaller shows i cant recall

This was a great live music year for me, if only because I got to see lots o' Wilco! First and foremost, Solid Sound, which is in a class by itself for more reasons than just the music (the friends, the community feeling, the town, etc.). Then 4 shows on the Whole Love Tour: Merriweather Post, Raleigh, and both nights at the Ryman. All were spectacular, but the last night at the Ryman had to be my favorite.

Being the Wilco obsessive that I am, everything else is in the also-ran category, but there were some great contenders that played here in Norfolk/Hampton Roads. Among the highlights:

Dr. Dog at the Norva. It was my first time seeing them and it was such a fun night. I wasn't that familiar with their music but they sounded great and the crowd energy was upbeat and enthusiastic.

Avett Brothers at the Constant Center (Old Dominion University). I won these tickets from the local NPR station and was blown away. Very engaging show.

Justin Townes Earle at the Naro Cinema. Absolutely mesmerizing solo acoustic show in a small arthouse theatre. He has a great stage presence, a strong voice and songs, and I thought I'd die when he covered Springsteen's Racing in the Streets. Wow!

Bright Eyes at the Norva. I can't help it, I have a thing for Conor Oberst. This was not the best of the Bright Eyes shows I've seen, but they're always interesting. I think he was a bit inebriated at this show. (I was too--I had VIP section tickets with an open bar and one too many Manhattans, so I was a soul sister to Conor that night.)

The Civil Wars at the Norva. Just beautiful harmonies. Reminded me a lot of Marketa Irglova and Glen Hansard (Once, Swell Season) and also similar to Gillian Welch and David Rawlings. This was a rescheduled show and the crowd was very enthusiastic.

Phish at NTelos Pavilion in Portsmouth. Beautiful night, fun crowd, good show as always. Plus I got to play den mother to my nephew's friend who had overindulged in some psychedelics. (I love being the older, wiser, authority figure--not!)

Sound Tribe Sector 9 at the Norva. They are a damn good electronic band that I rarely see discussed, but I love seeing them live. They just finished up a sold out 5-night run at the Tabernacle in Atlanta, and they'll be hitting the west coast and Chicago, I think, in January. I'm not crazy about the recorded music, but they are wonderful live.

The biggest disappointment, upon reflection, was the Flaming Lips, also at the Norva. I had a good time but the shtick seemed a little played out.

For the first time, i actually kept track of every concert i attended this year, and was surprised the number came out to a whopping 46 (including 3 big festivals). Anyway, here are the highlights

Wilco @ Solid Sound: Saw a lot of Wilco shows this year: Live at Letterman, twice in Central Park, The Ryman, but these two nights at SS (especially the first in the rain) were definitely my Wilco highlight of the year

Sonic Youth @ Williamsburg Waterfront: Hopefully this wasn't their last ever NYC show (after the divorce and all), but if it was, they went out with a bang. At least half the songs they played hadn't seen the light of day in over a decade (including a great "Ghost Bitch", first time since '86). Ending on "Inhuman" made this show just unreal, hopefully they'll be back

My Morning Jacket @ Bonnaroo: They were great at MSG last month and also at Mt. Jam this summer, but there was something really special about them on the main stage at Bonnaroo

James Blake @ Music Hall of Williamsburg: This dude is the real deal, show was way better than i expected

Radiohead @ Roseland Ballroom: Not as good as the first time i saw them (i attribute this mostly to my dislike of King of Limbs, even if it worked well live), but never thought i'd be able to see them in such a small, energetic setting. Awaiting news on more east coast dates for sure

Yo La Tengo @ Maxwell's: Eighth night of Hanukkah and my first YLT show ever, it was fantastic. I find it funny that Nalafej was at a YLT Wheel show where they landed on the "Seinfeld reading" spot, never thought that actually happened. I guess i can see the comedy in it because i didn't have to go through it.

LCD Soundsystem @ Terminal 5: Went to the first night of the last ever run of shows, and 4+ hours of pure energy over 3 sets over six nights is quite a way for a band to go out.

Punch Brothers @ Bowery Ballroom: Saw them at the Bowery Ballroom twice this year, and i've never seen a group of five guys more proficient at their instruments ever. Also some great covers both times, including a great bluegrass rendition of Beck's "Sexx Laws". What could possibly be more fun than a little good ol' fashion bluegrass?

Nels Cline w/ White Out @ The Stone: There was no way i could pass up the chance to see Nels play with this freeform jazz duo, and to be front row in the 100 capacity room and see everything Nels was doing gave me even more appreciation for the guy.

Decemberists @ Beacon Theatre: Opening with any cut from Her Majesty would have been a treat. But to open with the spacey "California One" was something really special. Really energetic set from a band that i think isn't appreciated for the fantastic live band they are (every show i've seen has been completely different and totally awesome). Closing out the encore with my personal favorite "Mariner's revenge song" is what made this show one to remember.

Dawes & Levon Helm Band @ Levon Helm's Barn: I had always heard about how awesome Levon's midnight rambles were, but to be able to see the legend himself, and one of my favorite bands Dawes, inside of Levons 300 capacity barn was something i wish everyone could experience. Jackson Brown singing "Up on Cripple Creek" and Donald Fagen from Steely Dan guesting on the Grateful Dead's "Shakedown Street" were really special moments

first of all R.I.P. Chad Buttler

Got to see the old 97's and hang out with all of them backstage with my beautifull gal, and gave them texas stled cupcakes

i loved gettin to see the ryman filled with wilco fans two nights in a row,and see Sarah"i love her"C have a cool coversation with Mr. Tweedy about school n' life....AND HE shakithed mine HaNd 2.

got to take a die-hard fan to a chattanooga venue to see the Avitt brouthers, she had never seen them muchless hadn't been to a show since she twas a wee little lad. she cried with joy

UGK 4 lifeSunset.jpg

Worst show that stands out: Foo Fighters at Boston Garden. I went because a friend strongly encouraged me to go, and because Social D was opening. Just do not like the Foo Fighters.

I have a feeling you must have been one person in the middle of thousands that wasnt into it. funny picture. were your arms crossed?

Didn't get out as much as I wanted. Will rectify this year, but switched how i go to shows. If there are more than 200 people there, I won't be. Last big concert was the National at Massey hall, and it was fun, but I'm done with large venues.

1) Basia Bulat at Foster's Inn Stratford.

Look at this. It was a dark room and the girl shines like a beacon.

http://youtu.be/SxQXRYBtOQg

This place is doing a dinner/concert/room/breakfast concert series that cannot be beat. $75 all in with the Basia show the first one we went to. Food is fine dining and they have McAuslan on tap. You are steps away from the performer and seating is limited to I dunno, 25 people. Unforgettable and i felt like a 1 percenter.

I would encourage anyone in gas tank range to try it out. It is the hometown of both Justin Beiber and our own Steve McLean, so you know it covers all the bases.

Can't wait to go again for Romi Mayes in May and maybe before that.

2) One Hundred Dollars - the Casbah in Hamilton

I love this band to all distraction. I walk in to a huge welcome and get introduced to the guitarist's whole family. They are just so sweet. The band also played my request, Rodney and Emmylou would be proud.

3) John K Samson at the Town Hall in Bayfield.

So guess who opened for Samson? None other than Bob Egan, supporting a local singer songwriter.

Samson was great and the venue terrific, but they do need to work on the stage lighting.

4) Simon Schmidt and Chris Coole at the Holy Oak

Favourite bar in Toronto. Chris is the banjo player for the Foggy Hogtown boys. I cannot wait until these songs get recorded.

5) Dan Mangan at the Home County Folk Festival.

Had him by my Hall later in the Fall, but this show on the grass in the park was short and prefect:

6) Timbre Timber at the Aeolian.

Daughter comes home in December and plays nothing but the new album. I guess I'm coming around to the David Lynch folk even though it still creeps me out.

7) The Greenbelt Harvest Festival - Dundas Ontario

This is Daniel Lanois' 'give back' to Hamilton. He even had frigging Emmy Lou Harris show up. The setting was perfect, the food wonderful and I will going again and again.

8) Samantha Martin at Wilson 66

New to me bar, but Samantha and her new album is going to be something to watch in 2012. What a voice. The snap backing band was the Kensington Hillbillys, who were just amazing.

9) Deep Dark Woods in my friend's attic.

Seriously. In an Attic. It was great show and totally sad night. We kept sneaking downstairs to watch the horrible election results and then coming back upstairs to hear this wonderfully sad music.

10) Jeff Tweedy at the Queen Elizabeth Theatre

Adding this one in as a maguffin. I was stuck in New Jersey so the husband risked life and limb to record a bit of it for me. He does a better job at this than I do. The video of Acuff Rose is beautiful, except I got pissed off that someone was singing along and accused him of ruining the whole thing. It turned out the extra singing wasn't him, but hockey broadcast legend Dave Hodge.

cleardot.gif

i was at the show too, and while it wasn't the worst, i guess i am not too big on arena show histrionics, where there is incessant Grohl-led fist pumping and crowd call and response tactics.

I got tired pretty quickly of being yelled at by Grohl. And yes, to answer IRemember, I have no doubt I was the one person in the entire Garden who wasn't into it.

In no particular order:

Eddie Vedder: The Bushnell - Hartford, CT:

I already knew from seeing PJ a bunch of times that Ed could put on a show, but holy crap, I was not prepared. By far the best acoustic so I've ever seen (yes, I've seen Jeff, and this was better). One of the most moving moments I've ever seen live came when Ed got the news that Clarence Clemons had passed. He sat still for 30 seconds or a minute and then proceeded to play one of the most emotional performances I've ever seen.

Umphrey's McGee: House of Blues - Boston, MA

This was my 11th time seeing them I believe, and it was far and away the best, which is saying a lot. It still reigns supreme as the best show they played this year and the best I saw in this vein of music. Nobody improvises like these guys. Simply stunning

Wilco - Solid Sound N2

I was at the Wang too, but for me this show was much better. Which it was a little short, the atmosphere was just great and the debuts sounded very good. Something about the whole evacuation because of the massive storm and then the sun coming out just made it a very cool show.

Tedeschi Trucks Band: Hampton Beach Casino Ballroom

I'm a firm believer that everything Derek Trucks touches turns to gold, and this was no exception. The band is top notch, and the music has a sound all its own. I don't even really know how to describe the show other than great. A perfect mix of virtuosity and fun.

Rush: Bell Centre - Montreal

I've never been a huge Rush fan, but my brother is and I took him as a birthday present. We were about halfway back on the floor, and man, do these guys put on a show! The first two set arena show I've seen, with the second set being Moving Pictures all the way through + some other stuff.

Robert Plant: House of Blues - Boston, MA

Being a massive Zephead, seeing any of the guys would be a highlight for me, but being able to see Percy in such a small venue was very cool. First time I've ever really enjoyed his solo stuff too.

Tres. Mts.: Paradise Rock Club - Boston, MA

Another Pearl Jam related show. Jeff Ament's side project with dUg Pinnick and Mike McCready. Set was only an hour long, but it was fantastic. Standing so close to Mike in such a small place was an experience all its own.

Steely Dan: Wang Theater - Boston, MA

I saw the Dawn of the Dan and Royal Scam shows at the Wang in September, and they were both fantastic. The band is incredible, as is the sound in that room. The Royal Scam is one of my all time favorite albums, so seeing it all the way through was very special.

Umphrey's McGee: Red Rocks

I didn't want to put two shows from one band, but this was my first trip to Red Rocks, and I couldn't leave it out. Most beautiful venue I've ever seen.

Honorable Mentions: Smashing Pumpkins - Boston, Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds - Boston, Levon Helm - Solid Sound.

Dishonorable mention: STS9 - Boston. Most bored I've ever been at a concert. Put away the laptops