New Neil Young album - with Crazy Horse!

yeah, i think i'm on neil overload. he was on Fresh Air yesterday too. he was a difficult interview. nothing really revealed. to tell you the truth, the dude puts out so much stuff. it's a bit overwhelming. went to listen to Comes A Time today it was a breeze. think i'll stick with the old stuff. i am curious about archives 2 and related releases, but that's about it at this point.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if it's been mentioned here, but the Central Park show is on youtube.

some interesting stuff form the new book. the song 'changing highways' that ended up on broken arrow, was recorded for Zuma. the zuma sessions also included powder finger, ride my llama, seven delivery. lots of stuff. kind of interesting. neil mentions that all this stuff will be on archives 2 called the Dume Tapes.

one interesting thing about neil is that every god damn thing the guy does has to be curated with some uber hippy style. interesting and exhausting.

these are some good songs, but they are just way too long. i know that is sacrilege to say. in his book, neil says he always wants to put out good music. huh? i tired of Americana pretty quickly. that should have been a free download album from his site as Fork In The Road and living with war should've been. he's kind of in this cycle of serious album followed by a joke album. i've given up being a completist with him. hell, the new jason molina is the best neil young i've heard in a long time :-)

I struggle with this as well and i am not sure what my expectations are? Neil's first 15 years 65-80 lets say take me into another world where i can put on a flannel sit by a fire in a cozy cabin and just get lost! I guess i'm always hoping for a song of his to get me there. And ill just take a song or two, i think i've given up on a solid album from him. Sleeps with angels is close, it takes chances, some beautiful tunes and it feels artistic. Alot of new neil is so abrasive, no nuance or thought, like it is dumbed down watered down here comes the obligatory 7 min guitar jam. On good days i over look the recent years, on bad days it makes me question my love for all that is neil

I struggle with this as well and i am not sure what my expectations are? Neil's first 15 years 65-80 lets say take me into another world where i can put on a flannel sit by a fire in a cozy cabin and just get lost! I guess i'm always hoping for a song of his to get me there. And ill just take a song or two, i think i've given up on a solid album from him. Sleeps with angels is close, it takes chances, some beautiful tunes and it feels artistic. Alot of new neil is so abrasive, no nuance or thought, like it is dumbed down watered down here comes the obligatory 7 min guitar jam. On good days i over look the recent years, on bad days it makes me question my love for all that is neil

a kindred spirit! i'm with you all the way. i put neil in my top 5, but when you look at his output for the last 30 years, it's pretty dismal. i just want some good songs. yesterday, for the millionth time, i filled the iPod with all of neil's 'worst' stuff. well, it's still bad. i could never get into anything in the 80s, although Life is not half bad. Trans is okay too, but the vocoder stuff is tough to take. late 80s, 90s were pretty good. good songs on freedom through sleeps with angels (probably his last classic album). i've tried to get into Mirrorball, but it just doesn't move me. loved Broken Arrow. unfortunately, the 00s have resulted in some questionable moved. it's like the dude just has to put out and create something 'different' every 6 months. i wish he'd wait and get 10 good songs together over the next few years then bring in rick ruben to do a solo acoustic album.

i could go on. his first album through Hawks & Doves is amazing. love the idea of flannel and sitting by a fire in a cabin. totally neil!!

Caught them last night in Chicago - great show. Got there about an 1/2 hour after the doors open and was about 15' back/dead center, which as great.

All the new songs played sounded great - Ramada Inn perhaps was the weakest of the bunch, but still a good song none the less.

He resurrected the Rust Never Sleeps stage setup theme, which was fun to see.

Los Lobos's set was equally as great. Definitely kinda of a Dead theme in there set - they played a verse of Love Light, Not Fade Away, and Bertha.

They gave a nice shout out to WXRT for playing their music over the years before they played I Got Loaded.

a kindred spirit! i'm with you all the way. i put neil in my top 5, but when you look at his output for the last 30 years, it's pretty dismal. i just want some good songs. yesterday, for the millionth time, i filled the iPod with all of neil's 'worst' stuff. well, it's still bad. i could never get into anything in the 80s, although Life is not half bad. Trans is okay too, but the vocoder stuff is tough to take. late 80s, 90s were pretty good. good songs on freedom through sleeps with angels (probably his last classic album). i've tried to get into Mirrorball, but it just doesn't move me. loved Broken Arrow. unfortunately, the 00s have resulted in some questionable moved. it's like the dude just has to put out and create something 'different' every 6 months. i wish he'd wait and get 10 good songs together over the next few years then bring in rick ruben to do a solo acoustic album.

i could go on. his first album through Hawks & Doves is amazing. love the idea of flannel and sitting by a fire in a cabin. totally neil!!

Yuck...Rick Ruben really...say that 5 times in a row.

Yuck...Rick Ruben really...say that 5 times in a row.

love him or hate him, he's been the man for the underproduced acoustic albums for several years now. i just think he would keep neil from dicking around:)

Rick hasn't done the avett bros any artistic favors. I don't know , doesn't neil know how to do this by now? He has only made at least 10 amazing records. Man, I swear he is confused or something? Melody melody melody simplicity and sincerity! Instead we get droning perplexing and half serious. I don't need statements, the biggest statement would be ten amazing songs

from what i can glean from Shakey and the recent memoir is that neil is basically lost without david briggs. he didn't work with him in the 80s...go figure. then he died in 95, i believe. it's ironic, but true, lots of artists need someone to tell them what to do or they just fuck around. i think ruben is interesting in that he took artists (Cash, Neil Diamond) who had made shit records for decades, stripped them down, and forced them to make a real songwriting statement. in the new book, neil says that briggs told him exactly what you and i want...make music that is all you and keep all the extra stuff out. the more neil the better.

incidentally, i don't think daniel lanois did neil and favors either. who would be a good producer for him. jim o'rourke? ethan johns?

new song neil's been playing. not on the track list for psychedelic pill. the song is a piano balled and it's great. nice harmonies as well. there's even a little stage play that goes along with it. my hunch is that the next project will be a more song oriented crazy horse album a la sleeps with angels or greendale two. he mentions the sequel in the new book.

also, as neil has been going on and on about shitty sound quality these days, he's on camera in his latest movie saying he only listens to music in the car and if the song is good, it doesn't matter how good the speaker system is. interesting.

I was at the above show - it was a nice song. The video doesn't give the "singer" justice - she was kinda of hot.

Glad I was able to see a song debut.

The whole stage set up - roadies, etc. - was fun - very thematic. A bunch of old guys walking around with computer tablets trying to coordinate every thing.

also, as neil has been going on and on about shitty sound quality these days, he's on camera in his latest movie saying he only listens to music in the car and if the song is good, it doesn't matter how good the speaker system is. interesting.

I've never understood this sound quality crusade that Neil is on. My first memory of hearing 'on the beach' was by listening to it through a wall where my flatmate was playing it on an old cassette. If it was Pink Floyd or something I would understand that sound quality is important but Neil sounds just as good on a crappy system. His music, specially crazy horse, is grainy and rough with all the pips left in. I remeber he first started going on about 'because sound matters' around the time that the 'Broken Arrow' album came out. The last track on that album, the cover song, sounded like a really bad bootleg recording.

I suppose the bottom line is Neil young just makes no sense. Accept that, don't expect to like everything he releases, and its a fun ride.

I've never understood this sound quality crusade that Neil is on. My first memory of hearing 'on the beach' was by listening to it through a wall where my flatmate was playing it on an old cassette. If it was Pink Floyd or something I would understand that sound quality is important but Neil sounds just as good on a crappy system. His music, specially crazy horse, is grainy and rough with all the pips left in. I remeber he first started going on about 'because sound matters' around the time that the 'Broken Arrow' album came out. The last track on that album, the cover song, sounded like a really bad bootleg recording.

I suppose the bottom line is Neil young just makes no sense. Accept that, don't expect to like everything he releases, and its a fun ride.

yeah, in the new book he talks about listening to Rhapsody in his car. that's even shittier than mp3. oh well. it is pretty funny. your point about broken arrow made me laugh out loud! i'm with you, After the Gold Rush sounds best on a shitty vinyl system. it's crazy how he wants stellar sound quality for such, as you say, grainy rough music. i too listened to on the beach from a 2nd gen tape for years because it wasn't on CD. i think neil just decided he hated digital around the time broken arrow came out and then decided to harp on analog etc.

incidentally, if you peruse some of the hard core audio boards, like hydrogen, you'll see that what neil is suggesting is nothing new and really marketing bullshit. higher resolution is unnecessary and ultimately harmful to the ears. also, a digital sample can be brought to be EXACTLY like an analog. not to mention the fact that lossless codecs already exist and mp3s are fine. the real issue is mastering too loud. vinyl and sacd seems to sound a bit better not because of higher resolution, it's because a different master is used. ironically, America was basically a brickwalled master. just goes to show you that if you look at the nuances of any extreme position you'll find lots of questions.

saw Neil & Crazy Horse at ACL, about 40-50 feet from the stage. People were booing at the end of Walk Like a Giant. It was just about insufferable. Not sure how many minutes of him just stomping around the stage, with the whole band grunting out the same chord for each step. It was ridiculous.

Fuckin Up, Cinnamon Girl, Love and Only Love were tremendous. I missed Down by the River and Hey, Hey, My, My.

i'm not traveling to see them because of the setlists. i know it would be fun, but i also know that i'd get bored with 20 min. neil jam. that's like playing ARC every night. now a 20 min. jerry garcia jam...that's another story:-)

i'm not traveling to see them because of the setlists. i know it would be fun, but i also know that i'd get bored with 20 min. neil jam. that's like playing ARC every night. now a 20 min. jerry garcia jam...that's another story:-)