RIP Davy Jones

I've been obsessing on "Last Train To Clarksville" recently (I know, not a Jones tune) and I noted to coworkers last week that the Monkees were one of the few big 60s groups whose members were all living. Sorry, Davy.

I was a huge fan back in the day - all my allowance went to Monkee cards (with banana flavor gum!). Pretty cool for a 5 year old.

I've been obsessing on "Last Train To Clarksville" recently (I know, not a Jones tune) and I noted to coworkers last week that the Monkees were one of the few big 60s groups whose members were all living. Sorry, Davy.

I was a huge fan back in the day - all my allowance went to Monkee cards (with banana flavor gum!). Pretty cool for a 5 year old.

You are Not ALone

I recall having done that round the same time and having a Monkee Metal Lunch Box 1st grade.......

Dam were are the Wilco Lunch boxes er BAck Packs

From Mike Nesmith on Facebook:

"All the lovely people. Where do they all come from?

So many lovely and heartfelt messages of condolence and sympathy, I don’t know what to say, except my sincere thank you to all. I share and appreciate your feelings.

But let’s not get ahead of ourselves here.

While it is jarring, and sometimes seems unjust, or strange, this transition we call dying and death is a constant in the mortal experience that we know almost nothing about. I am of the mind that it is a transition and I carry with me a certainty of the continuity of existence. While I don’t exactly know what happens in these times, there is an ongoing sense of life that reaches in my mind out far beyond the near horizons of mortality and into the reaches of infinity.

That David has stepped beyond my view causes me the sadness that it does many of you. I will miss him, but I won’t abandon him to mortality. I will think of him as existing within the animating life that insures existence. I will think of him and his family with that gentle regard in spite of all the contrary appearances on the mortal plane.

David’s spirit and soul live well in my heart, among all the lovely people, who remember with me the good times, and the healing times, that were created for so many, including us.

I have fond memories. I wish him safe travels."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nLPO-Dhe7s

Wow that makes me sad. Summer holiday mornings with the Monkees on TV. I think the above was the first song I ever obsessed over.

Jones is survived by his four children. He lived in the US with his third wife, Jessica Pacheco, who is 31 years his junior and whom he met in a stage production of Cinderella.

In a recent interview, he recalled the moment they fell in love: “She turned to me one day and said, Let’s run upstairs and make love’.

“I looked at her. ‘At my age,’ I said, ‘it’s going to have to be one or the other’.”

If you have the Beatles on Ed Sullivan DVD you can see Davy Jones perform in a bit from the play Oliver in which he was performing at the time back in February 1964. Kind of a weird coincidence since he later would become one of the imitation Beatles with the Monkees a couple of years later.

Sad.

There are going to be a lot more of these day to come...

So many lovely and heartfelt messages of condolence and sympathy, I don’t know what to say, except my sincere thank you to all. I share and appreciate your feelings.

While it is jarring, and sometimes seems unjust, or strange, this transition we call dying and death is a constant in the mortal experience that we know almost nothing about. I am of the mind that it is a transition and I carry with me a certainty of the continuity of existence. While I don’t exactly know what happens in these times, there is an ongoing sense of life that reaches in my mind out far beyond the near horizons of mortality and into the reaches of infinity.

That David has stepped beyond my view causes me the sadness that it does many of you. I will miss him, but I won’t abandon him to mortality. I will think of him as existing within the animating life that insures existence. I will think of him and his family with that gentle regard in spite of all the contrary appearances on the mortal plane.

David’s spirit and soul live well in my heart, among all the lovely people, who remember with me the good times, and the healing times, that were created for so many, including us.

That was beautifully said

Very sad. He was only a few years older than I am. I knew all the Oliver! songs by heart.

What is amazing about the entire Monkees phenomenon is that the show was on the air less than 2 years. I still like watching it, but man was it corny.

LouieB

Very sad. He was only a few years older than I am. I knew all the Oliver! songs by heart.

What is amazing about the entire Monkees phenomenon is that the show was on the air less than 2 years. I still like watching it, but man was it corny.

LouieB

I agree - Monkees' show --- corny. Monkees' songs --- catchy.

Saw Paul Westerberg do Daydream Believer a few times in the mid-90s, and it was a highlight of his shows for me.

I agree - Monkees' show --- corny. Monkees' songs --- catchy.

Saw Paul Westerberg do Daydream Believer a few times in the mid-90s, and it was a highlight of his shows for me.

In retrospect the show holds up surprising well (unlike other shows of its time like Batman), if you suspend a whole lot of belief. Sure it was coriny as well but I can actually sit and watch these things still. And yes, I agree that the music itself, also somewhat pre-fad, holds up amazingly well. Had anyone at the time suggested this whole enterprise would last the decades, I doubt anyone would have taken them seriously.

I traded something to my cool HS friend David to get the Monkees' first album. He was very dismissive of them at the time. But then again he introduced me to the Velvet Underground, so really there was no contest.

Not yet mentioned is the Monkee movie "Head" with Frank Zappa, etc. Haven't seen it in a few years but maybe it needs another look.

LouieB

From looking at his website, I'd say he was a pretty good dude.

And, uh, I'd like a glass of cold gravy with a hair in it, please.

I've been into The Monkees since 1976. I still listen to them to this very day.

Some of my favorite Davy songs are: I Wanna Be Free, Look Out (Here Comes Tomorrow), Shades of Grey, She Hangs Out, Star Collector, Someday Man, French Song, and My Share of The Sidewalk.

The Monkees: The Day-by-Day Story of the '60s TV Pop Sensation by Andrew Sandoval is a great book to read if you want to know all the details about the records, show, etc.

I agree, that was beautifully said. Mike always was the Deep Monkee.

Corny show, yes, but great songs. A friend of mine and I went through a spell one year in college in the mid-'80s when we refused to miss an episode of the Monkees mid-afternoon after classes. It was the perfect, light escape from reality. My mom claims I loved the show when it was new, but I was really little and don't remember that. :)

I never really looked at my Oliver! original cast recording to see if Davie Jones was on there. I guess he was in the cast later on, because he is not on teh album. Too bad. Child actors do grow up fast I guess.

LouieB

I grew up with the Monkees, from being 5 and arguing with my teenage brothers because I wanted to watch Marvel Super Heroes instead of Monkees (1965). Then on Saturday morning TV, through the revival on MTV in the mid-80s, and various rerun revivals. My 15-year-old watched the tapes I made from MTV when she was younger and collected most of their music; she really got into some of their interesting, obscure stuff from later years. For her birthday I took her to their Jax show on the tour last year; did the VIP treatment. He did a great deal of dancing during the performance, they did music a good amount of songs from the movie Head. When we got pictures taken with them after, I spoke with him briefly about touring and at the moment (probably as tired as he was) he complained that they were being "handled" and showed up when/where they were supposed to.

I have all the Rhino re-issues. They have since did some of the albums as Deluxe Editions. The first Monkees album I ever got was a Greatest Hits that came out in 1976 by way of Arista/RCA Records. I also have an album called "The Monkees - Monkeemania/40 Timeless Hits" that I got in 1979. It was actually from Australia. I don't recall how or where I got it though.