Wilco songs they play that you don't want them to

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Jules

I've only been disappointed in one Wilco show - around 2002 or so - 4 piece band, I think, after Jay had left but before Nels, etc. joined. Lack of energy, somber first 6-8 songs, crowd was mirroring the band's energy. 14 out of 15 Wilco shows have been winners for me - I'll take that percentage anytime with a band.

That's too bad since that's probably the best version of the band.

For me, the problem is overly high expectations based on the couple of really stand-out shows which were some of the best concert experiences of my life! So if I go in with a level head, I'll be more likely to be blown away than disappointed.

I can relate to this. I think that was my problem with the show circa 2002 - I had seen a Being There show and a Summerteeth show, and my expectations were really high.

That's too bad since that's probably the best version of the band.

I know that some folks share your opinion. Looking back, I was probably bummed about Wilco live without Jay - it was a pretty significant change in their live sound. It took me a show to work through it. When I saw them 8 months later in 2003, I had adjusted. And they had, too, I think - I remember thinking they sounded much tighter as a group. And it did not hurt that they were playing AGIB songs at that time, a few months before they went into the studio to record that album.

Hmm hard but let me think, mostly:

Heavy Metal Drummer

I guess I'm a little spiteful towards it, they closed with it last year's London gig instead of Misunderstood due to time restrictions...

Songs I like live any day of the week like but would like to trade in for some other Wilco classics:

ALTWYS

IATTBYH

IG

Seriously don't get why people are complaining about Jesus etc., IATMWLY, Bull Black Nova etc. when you still have Walken, Late Greats, You & I etc. as regular fixtures in their live shows. I guess this board really is full of dads who want as many easy rockers as possible. :(

When I first saw the subject of this thread, there were several songs that immediately came to mind (and if the songs listed were folded into a survey they're probably among the most common. In anticipating a show, you can almost script 12 songs right off the bat -- obligatory songs, including several of the ones referenced in this thread, and songs from the latest album(s). Then choose six from another tier of 12-18 songs that play at least every 3rd show. Several of these songs seem to set up at least one companion song, due to how Tweedy seems to set up his playlist (concerts that start with "Sunken Treasure," for instance). From there it's a good chance most are requests from the site and wildcards.

There were several shows that I stuffed the ballot box on requests at wilcoworld.net -- one local show I hit on 8 of the 10 songs from the stacked deck. Having heard half of them, I don't think I would have requested them again; not that they weren't great songs, but it was nice and I experienced them, so move on.

Certainly one of the most fan-friendly bands, Wilco over the last five years has hit upon a range of approaches to give its fans what they want -- playing every single song in the catalogue during the Chicago residency, the An Evening with Wilco tour with 35-song setlists including an acoustic set, to curating their own fesitval and opening their work individually and collectively, and variations in the latter from one year to the next.

I'm not entirely enthusastic to hear some of the newer songs live, realize that even some of the "regular" songs had different nad more appreciated approaches, different nuances that they won't have this time or the next time around. But being fan friendly, they look to keep it lively and there are always nice surprises within each set and performance (with few exceptions).

Ultimately it's a give and take and I'd rather take Wilco's act as a whole than live with those things I'd rather tinker with in a perfect world.

Seriously don't get why people are complaining about Jesus etc., IATMWLY, Bull Black Nova etc. when you still have Walken, Late Greats, You & I etc. as regular fixtures in their live shows. I guess this board really is full of dads who want as many easy rockers as possible. :(

Dads? Really, are we going to start that again? Your post makes no sense... Jesus Etc. is probably the best example of an "easy rocker" in their catalog.

Jesus etc. isn't a rocker, nor is it "easy" (straightforward) in the sense that songs like Late Greats, I'm a Wheel, Wilco (the Song) or a lot of songs on the second half of the album that is my avatar are. Maybe I should've used "mediocre dumb rockers" instead but I didn't want to insult anybody so I used the d-word instead.

Ummm, isn't Wilco first and foremost a rock band?

And while Jesus, etc. is a great song, and not the usual rock fare, it has been done enough, for now anyway. There are too many other great songs (rockers and non) to narrow it down to the same 15 or so songs over and over. IMO, of course.

Just wondering how many times a year are you folks seeing Wilco? How many shows a year is the average VC'er catching? I'm used to this topic in the GD/Phish world, where lots of folks saw entire tours or large chunks of tours, winter, spring, summer and fall. There were always rumblings about not another Black Peter, NFA, etc. I never thought of Wilco as having that kind of road following beyond a very small number of folks. Personally, the 1, 2 or 3 Wilco shows I may see a year doesn't put me in the position of getting tired of hearing any of their songs. It's an amazingly great catalog, and true, on the typical tour where they're not doing multiple nights in the same city, the setlists don't vary all that much. But the couple of times a year I may get to see them, not a problem for me.

And I don't know Theremin, to put down The Late Greats is an easy Dad rocker, for instance, I just don't hear it that way. Which you may say proves your point, I don't know.

Are you a rocking dad? Then it does prove my point.

But seriously, they've made their fair share of great straightforward rockers during the years but I just don't consider Late Greats or Walken to be part of that. I guess it's a fine line between straightforward and plain dumb with those 2 songs falling into the latter category.

I agree with everything else you said though, maybe you're sick of Jesus etc or ITMWLY when you go see them at almost every god damn show but most people aren't in a position to do that.

when you go see them at almost every god damn show but most people aren't in a position to do that.

Depending on your geographic area, the band does a decent enough job of enabling any real fan to see an average of 2-3 shows a year (within a 4-6-hour driving distance). The band also has a roadcase on its Web site, provides several live webcasts per year, plus Owl & Bear, bt.etree.org, dimeadozen make recordings of practically every concert available to anyone. It depends on how avid you are, but knocking someone's tastes as "dad rock" just because they pursue the band more than you is a little disingenuous. Actually arguing someone follows the band too much is more of a grumpy, "dad rock" argument.

Depending on your geographic area, the band does a decent enough job of enabling any real fan to see an average of 2-3 shows a year (within a 4-6-hour driving distance). The band also has a roadcase on its Web site, provides several live webcasts per year, plus Owl & Bear, bt.etree.org, dimeadozen make recordings of practically every concert available to anyone. It depends on how avid you are, but knocking someone's tastes as "dad rock" just because they pursue the band more than you is a little disingenuous. Actually arguing someone follows the band too much is more of a grumpy, "dad rock" argument.

I live in Europa, saw them 2 times this week end in Brussels but this was also the first time they actually played here post-TWL. The average is more like 1-1.5 shows/year.

I'm just saying wishing for certain crowd favorites to dissapear just because you're stalking them might not make you a dad but it sure is an incredibly selfish attitude. Not everyone has the time and or money to attend multiple shows even when they are in the same general area as you, that shouldn't be to hard to realize.

I'm just saying wishing for certain crowd favorites to dissapear just because you're stalking them might not make you a dad but it sure is an incredibly selfish attitude. Not everyone has the time and or money to attend multiple shows even when they are in the same general area as you, that shouldn't be to hard to realize.

Paying to watch a band is stalking? Actually, it's the dedicated fans will will pay to see more than one show in a blue moon that enables the band to return frequently enough for someone to see them on a whim every once in a while. To use the U.S. term: put up or shut up. To use a Europe analogy, it's like Greece or Italy bitching at Germany complaining about money instead of bailing them out more frequently.

Ummm, isn't Wilco first and foremost a rock band?

And while Jesus, etc. is a great song, and not the usual rock fare, it has been done enough, for now anyway. There are too many other great songs (rockers and non) to narrow it down to the same 15 or so songs over and over. IMO, of course.

Thank you. That's the whole point of this thread. Jesus Etc., Shot In The Arm, Handshake Drugs, all great songs.. they are some of the best songs in their catalog. But they have been done enough. I personally don't want to hear them live anymore, and would rather some other tunes make it in there that they hardly play (see the other thread about songs we want them to play).

Are you a rocking dad? Then it does prove my point.

Why all the hostility towards dads? Does having children render one unable to appreciate the subtleties of Wilco's non-rocking songs?

Personally, I'm glad Wilco has its share of dads who know how to rock the f**k out! Without Jeff or Glenn, this board wouldn't be here.