Wilco songs they play that you don't want them to

Don't get me wrong, there isn't a single Wilco song that I just flat out hate, but there are a few of their more popular tunes that mean pee break or beer break for me.

Shot in The Arm - At one point this was my favorite Wilco song, but that tune is officially warn out for me.

Jesus Etc. - Same as Shot in The Arm.

Handshake Drugs - The first time I heard this live with the several minute long noise solo, I was blown away. But after the 30th time I heard it live with the several minute noise solo... yeah, beer break...

I'm The Man Who Loves You - I've never been a big fan of this song, and they seem to play it at every show.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread is a bummer. Too negative for me. I love Wilco shows and want them to continue to play what they want to/ think they should play. I haven't left disappointed with a Wilco show in a long time.

The thought of hearing Shot in the Arm, Jesus etc., ITMWLY, Bull Black Nova, Heavy Metal Drummer, and some of the others listed above doesn't jazz me because I have heard them enough live. However, when I actually hear these songs live, I enjoy them (except maybe ITMWLY, which I have never been overly fond of). For instance, Shot in the Arm at Solid Sound last year was excellent. Overall, I'm with nalafej - haven't left a Wilco show disappointed in about a decade.

The thought of hearing Shot in the Arm, Jesus etc., ITMWLY, Bull Black Nova, Heavy Metal Drummer, and some of the others listed above doesn't jazz me because I have heard them enough live. However, when I actually hear these songs live, I enjoy them (except maybe ITMWLY, which I have never been overly fond of). For instance, Shot in the Arm at Solid Sound last year was excellent. Overall, I'm with nalafej - haven't left a Wilco show disappointed in about a decade.

I haven't left disappointed with a Wilco show in a long time.

Just curious what disappoints either of you in a show (or did in the past), if not the setlist. The energy? The crowd?

Just curious what disappoints either of you in a show (or did in the past), if not the setlist. The energy? The crowd?

Musicianship, special effects (mostly cheese factor undermining the music), setlist not flowing well. Wilco never bombs on those.

Yeah, it's important not to miss the point of this thread, I too have never been disappointed after a Wilco show..

Just because I don't want to hear specific tunes and would rather hear something else, doesn't mean I don't enjoy them anyway. I might be in the beer line or standing at a urinal, but it doesn't mean I'm not bobbing my head.

I think they retired most of the ones that needed to be this time around, my list used to be Hate it Here, You are my Face, Deeper Down. I think in terms of songs they could still lose:

I'm the Man who loves you: Probably my least favorite YHF song, has never done anything for me really

One Wing: Used to like it, thought it was a stronger Wilco the album track, but it's got pretty old by now

I'll Fight: always thought it was alright, doesn't need to be played live regularly though

I know this is blasphemy, but I'll say it anyway -- Impossible Germany! Also Bull Black Nova, One Wing, Jesus etc., ITMWLY, Heavy Metal Drummer. Pretty much half the set list of the show I saw in September. I'm such a brat!

I second this. Impossible Germany was my piss break song the last time I saw Wilco.

They can pretty much dump One Wing, I'll Fight, Walken, Hate It Here, Theologians, Late Greats, and At Least That's What You Said, and I'm fine with that. I used to love Handshake Drugs, but since it became a feedback-drenched guitar duel at the end, I can't tolerate that one either. That song was so cool in its original stripped down incarnation.

I second this. Impossible Germany was my piss break song the last time I saw Wilco.

They can pretty much dump One Wing, I'll Fight, Walken, Hate It Here, Theologians, Late Greats, and At Least That's What You Said, and I'm fine with that. I used to love Handshake Drugs, but since it became a feedback-drenched guitar duel at the end, I can't tolerate that one either. That song was so cool in its original stripped down incarnation.

Those and Shot in the Arm and Walken....I still love IG and ALTWYS.

We are spoiled and maybe it does get a little stale over the years.

I've only been disappointed in one Wilco show - around 2002 or so - 4 piece band, I think, after Jay had left but before Nels, etc. joined. Lack of energy, somber first 6-8 songs, crowd was mirroring the band's energy. 14 out of 15 Wilco shows have been winners for me - I'll take that percentage anytime with a band.

I've only been disappointed in one Wilco show - around 2002 or so - 4 piece band, I think, after Jay had left but before Nels, etc. joined. Lack of energy, somber first 6-8 songs, crowd was mirroring the band's energy. 14 out of 15 Wilco shows have been winners for me - I'll take that percentage anytime with a band.

Yes, that's definitely a great percentage! At one show I attended (2006, I think) I felt like there was no connection between the band and the audience. And then there's my setlist issue, which has really only been a problem once. For me, the problem is overly high expectations based on the couple of really stand-out shows which were some of the best concert experiences of my life! So if I go in with a level head, I'll be more likely to be blown away than disappointed.

I'll be the first to admit this band has a disproportional significance to me -- but I know others here have the same sickness I do!