Bob Weir is a Wilco fan

Here is an excerpt from an interview with Bob Weir in 2010

Are there any contemporary jam bands that you think have the stuff that The Grateful Dead had? Is there anybody that you see out there that you admire?

“Yeah, I’m a big fan of Wilco’s, for instance. I don’t so much care for their records as I love what they do live. Having played on the same bill with them a couple of times, I was dazzled. Aside from that, really, I don’t listen to a lot of current, contemporary music. And so I’m not the one to ask.”

The entire interview can be read here:

http://blogs.mcall.com/lehighvalleymusic/2010/02/contacting-the-dead-bob-weir-talks-about-going-furthur-with-phil-lesh.html

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its a bit validating to me to hear Weir with basically the same opinion as me about live Wilco vs. Wilco in the studio. I guess there is an aesthetic that links Wilco and the Grateful Dead, at least for me.

Its a bit validating to me to hear Weir with basically the same opinion as me about live Wilco vs. Wilco in the studio. I guess there is an aesthetic that links Wilco and the Grateful Dead, at least for me.

Me too... they are the two bands that I listen to the most, by far. They are different for me in that I don't consider Wilco a jam band, but there is something that attracts my ear in a different way with the two bands compared to other bands. I love how both the Dead and Wilco can rock and captivate an audience with the mellow, poetic stuff... versatile, unique, entertaining and beautifully complex.

can anyone point me to a song where the Dead actually rock?

Dude, are you serious or are you being facetious? The Dead covered Chuck Berry, fer Chrissakes. It doesn't get any more rock 'n' roll than Johnny B Goode. I'm seriously trying to understand your question, because even the most casual music fan surely knows that the Dead played plenty of up-tempo tunes. If you are sincerely wanting to know the names of their faster songs, then try One More Saturday Night, Sugar Magnolia, Might As Well, Deal, Promised Land, Alabama Getaway, Greatest Story Every Told, Big Railroad Blues, Going Down The Road Feeling Bad, Beat It On Down The Line, etc etc.

Trying to convince people who don't like the Dead that the Dead were good is usually a fruitless and frustrating experience. Either you are the kind of person who gets what they do or you aren't. But if you are suggesting that the Dead never rocked, then you just don't know that much about the Dead, with all due respect.

I am not sure when the term jam band took root - but I think I was listening to the Dead before I heard about the phrase "jam band" - At least I don't remember ever saying to someone who wasn't familiar with the Grateful Dead - "I going to see The Grateful Dead - you know that great jam band". I never thought of the Dead as a "jam band". That's just me, though.

'rock' has little correlation with 'tempo'

i agree, we have much different definitions.

so what are you looking for here with your original question? Care to share your definition of 'rock'? I mean, I can make an educated guess, based on the bands you seem to like (a lot of metal and punk, from what I can tell) but still, in all sincerity, it'd be interesting to hear your thoughts about what rocks and what doesn't. My guess is you ain't gonna find any Dead songs that fit your definition of rock, they never had anything to do with punk or metal and aggression and anger were very rarely, if ever, explored in their music. And

I think that the correlation between rock and tempo is a matter of opinion, not fact.

Was someone going to try to post an example of the Grateful Dead where they actually rock?

Do you think any of those folks in the audience in that Hard to Handle video are still waiting for the Dead to rock?

i agree, we have much different definitions.

Yes, your choice of photo makes that clear!