Bob Weir is a Wilco fan

I of course get that people don't get anything from the Dead's music. There are lots of bands that people think are great that I don't care for at all. Personal taste is what it is. In my view, all you can do is expose someone to music you like, and if it strikes a chord in them, great, and if not, that's ok. And vice versa. But the oft-repeated comment that people who do like the Dead's music, and have spent a life time of enjoyment seeing them and listening to their music, is only the result of doing acid or being a stoner is more than a little played, and is really insulting. And while I am trying to resist the urge to advocate for the Dead's music, I would think that a fan of Wilco and Uncle Tupelo would be able to appreciate the music and brilliance of albums such as Workingman's Dead and American Beauty. But like I said, there's no accounting for taste.

Just a harmless joke -- I was a little drunk myself when I posted that comment. ;)

(As I am also hoping IRDB was on something when he posted that Dancing in the Streets video. Yikes!)

But yeah, to each his own and all that. We all have our own preferences and many of the bands I like also have their detractors. I think what brought out that haters here was the contention that the GD were able to rawk when, for a lot of us, their music seems to be antithesis of that. But no need to beat on a dead horse.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You would put Veneta on at parties? That's a toughie, while I'm in the camp of that is one of the most amazing events ever, I'm also sane enough to know that is not a show for casual listening. I would describe that show as the perfect soundtrack to a psychedelic experience. This is a show where it was blistering hot and overwhelmingly humid, to top it off they had gotten dosed back stage and by that time they weren't really doing that anymore. Because of the heat and humidity their instruments were constantly going out of tune and they were forced to approach songs in a completely different way, and on acid to boot. There is a reason they won't release this show even though it's one of the most requested shows. Interestingly enough it's the only show (besides their "1st" show) they actually recognized and played a 10 year anniversary show for and then in '92 scheduled a 20 year anniversary show which was later cancelled. I can't imagine anyone hearing 8/27/72 as an introduction to the Dead coming out of it with anything positive to say about a band that couldn't play in time or in tune with each other.

One of my favorite shows. Some blistering versions on there, sun drenched or acid drenched notwithstanding. I imagine you have a copy of the Sunshine Daydream film?

(As I am also hoping IRDB was on something when he posted that Dancing in the Streets video. Yikes!)

40 years of listening to the Dead, the Disco Dancing version is one song I would *never* put up there as a means of convincing anyone to have a positive view of the Band. Now a '71 or earlier version would be a different story entirely :guitar

You would put Veneta on at parties? That's a toughie, while I'm in the camp of that is one of the most amazing events ever, I'm also sane enough to know that is not a show for casual listening. I would describe that show as the perfect soundtrack to a psychedelic experience. This is a show where it was blistering hot and overwhelmingly humid, to top it off they had gotten dosed back stage and by that time they weren't really doing that anymore. Because of the heat and humidity their instruments were constantly going out of tune and they were forced to approach songs in a completely different way, and on acid to boot. There is a reason they won't release this show even though it's one of the most requested shows. Interestingly enough it's the only show (besides their "1st" show) they actually recognized and played a 10 year anniversary show for and then in '92 scheduled a 20 year anniversary show which was later cancelled. I can't imagine anyone hearing 8/27/72 as an introduction to the Dead coming out of it with anything positive to say about a band that couldn't play in time or in tune with each other.

Well...I was (and probably still am) a bit of a pugnacious deadhead...

Well...I was (and probably still am) a bit of a pugnacious deadhead...

Quick--somebody grab that as their band name!

I didn't even know what "pugnacious" meant, I had to look it up, it's my new favorite word, and some would say describes me to a tee. It would be an awesome band name, good call "Pugnacious Dead", I LOVE it!!! I may have to use it with the guys I'm playing with even if we don't actually play any Dead at the moment, we could always could add some.

The Dead were a live band period. They fostered an environment where people were encouraged to tape and share. They also taped all their shows and the releasing of Dicks Picks has been an industry that lived on long past Jerry. Their studio albums were among some of the best of their era. Workingmans Dead, Ace (Weir solo actually a Dead record), and Wake of the Flood are all masterpieces in the way Whole Love is. To me Wilco and Old 97s are the best live bands out there and their studio albums pale in comparison to their live shows but thats only because live they are so amazing. Wilco is a jam band simoply because they have Nels. Take him away and it would be a lot less interesting to me.

The Dead were a live band period... Their studio albums were among some of the best of their era.

One could say that is internally inconsistent, but I know what you mean ;)

Speaking of studio albums, obviously Workingman's and American Beauty have always been at the top of my list, but after recently buying the MoFi vinyl version of Wake, I may now be convinced that side 2 of Wake is the best side of any studio album they ever released.

. Honestly I don't get the appeal -- aside from reminiscing about a particularly good acid trip when you hear that music. ;)

Apt statement considering your name....heh.

Trying to convince someone with a preconceived notion about any particular band/style of music is generally futile.

Bob Weir generally has decent taste in music.

The GD influenced a shit ton of the post Punk bands, due to their ethos, DIY approach, and because they tend to rock.

Trying to convince someone with a preconceived notion about any particular band/style of music is generally futile.

Like Wilco being Dad Rock? Or Dave Matthews or The Band being Jam Bands?

Although, I think the majority of posters on this site don't suffer from having their judgment clouded by preconceived notions. I think anyone posting here about particular bands have some experience with them.

Although, I think the majority of posters on this site don't suffer from having their judgment clouded by preconceived notions. I think anyone posting here about particular bands have some experience with them.

I disagree. I think there are plenty of people on the site that have little/no clue about this particular band they criticize, which is evident in their analysis of the band, which is often way off the mark. At least that's how it's always come across to me. It's pretty much always been that way in conversations concerning the GD, and not just here.

I disagree. I think there are plenty of people on the site that have little/no clue about this particular band they criticize, which is evident in their analysis of the band, which is often way off the mark. At least that's how it's always come across to me. It's pretty much always been that way in conversations concerning the GD, and not just here.

It goes both ways, though. Especially when GD fans disregard any opinion of someone if that person hasn't memorized every note of every live show of any 3-year period.

It goes both ways, though. Especially when GD fans disregard any opinion of someone if that person hasn't memorized every note of every live show of any 3-year period.

Not true, imo. I've heard plenty of people chime in on their dislike for the music who have actually listened to more than a radio version of "Truckin'". There is a disdain for the GD (and it goes beyond the actual music they play, imo) that some folks seem to have that involves the fans.scene/etc. more than any knowledgeable criticism of actual songs/the music. It's usually a broad stroke of "they suck, " "jam bands suck," "songs too long/too much noodling," etc., cliche, cliche.

I'm here to complain about the spinners, twirlers, whirling dervishes Dead heads.

I went to see the Dead twice - Alpine Valley shows in 89 and 90. Tripped Balls. My childhood neighbor married Bob Weir.

Bah!

Natasha?

if you are lumping me in that group, just know that i have spent a fair amount of time listening to recordings both studio and live (at the behest of friends) and have seen them live once too.

To those who don't like the Dead's music, most likely another example of how the Dead don't "rawk" as you say. But to those of us who do, and to the thousands of dancing fans in the audience, a good example of the Dead's 1989 mid-tempo rock. Not trying to convince anyone of anything, just saw this posted and pasted it here.

http://www.rollingstone.com/videos/new-and-hot/grateful-dead-touch-of-grey-live-in-1989-20120416

something the anti heads on here might find interesting is the dead heads for the most part hated when GD played "popular" songs like touch of grey and truckin and throwin stones. even US Blues sometimes.

i love the smell of patchouli

that alpine show was my 19th birhtday and i was there.

changed my life for sure

something the anti heads on here might find interesting is the dead heads for the most part hated when GD played "popular" songs like touch of grey and truckin and throwin stones. even US Blues sometimes.

WHAT??? I'll give you Touch after '87, but Truckin' no f'in way, to many awesome jams involved Truckin', US Blues was generally an encore and beat the hell out of I Fought the Law. Can't say I hated any songs, and to tell the truth I'd give anything to hear Jerry sing anything even Day Job these days. I was never a "song" person anyway, I preferred the Jams, that's why I'll take a Phil & Friends show anyday over a Ratdog show.

Patchouli I could do without out, spinners were annoying, selfish and hypocritical ("you're bumming me out invading my space dude...", well your space happens to also be my space so stop slapping me in the face with f'in your arms I'm just trying to get to the bathroom), I lived a very sheltered and comfortable life in the taper section and loved it!