Bob Weir is a Wilco fan

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so what are you looking for here with your original question? Care to share your definition of 'rock'? I mean, I can make an educated guess, based on the bands you seem to like (a lot of metal and punk, from what I can tell) but still, in all sincerity, it'd be interesting to hear your thoughts about what rocks and what doesn't. My guess is you ain't gonna find any Dead songs that fit your definition of rock, they never had anything to do with punk or metal and aggression and anger were very rarely, if ever, explored in their music. And

I think that the correlation between rock and tempo is a matter of opinion, not fact.

i don't want you to think i'm just trolling...been busy but i will formulate a half-way cogent response later.

I just wanna say regarding the question that prompted this line of chat, for me and I think most people at the shows, it wasn't necessarily about how hard or how much the Dead "rocked." The relationship was based on something different. But I think the question is a fair question. Just disagree with some of the responses.

As a long time follower of the Dead, a veteran of more shows then I care to count and a taper at most of those, I will state that the Dead could rock, I wouldn't say that was their forte or even when they were at their best, but they did rock. Anyone who says they didn't/couldn't obviously hasn't listened to them all that much and I would say aren't really in a position to comment on what they could or couldn't do. Then again it's really only one's opinion and everyone is entitled to one, doesn't mean they are right, just means in their own opinion.

The Dead never did anything for me, and all the videos posted here hasn't changed that opinion (yes, I watched them all). Honestly I don't get the appeal -- aside from reminiscing about a particularly good acid trip when you hear that music. ;)

As the person who started this thread and as someone who was a late-in-musical-life Dead convert, please check this one out! Anyone who likes American rock 'n' roll should appreciate Buddy Holly and his influence on future generations of musicians... The Dead completely ROCK this tune. Watch this starting at .25 seconds and you can't deny that this song rocks ...

The Dead never did anything for me, and all the videos posted here hasn't changed that opinion (yes, I watched them all). Honestly I don't get the appeal -- aside from reminiscing about a particularly good acid trip when you hear that music. ;)

I of course get that people don't get anything from the Dead's music. There are lots of bands that people think are great that I don't care for at all. Personal taste is what it is. In my view, all you can do is expose someone to music you like, and if it strikes a chord in them, great, and if not, that's ok. And vice versa. But the oft-repeated comment that people who do like the Dead's music, and have spent a life time of enjoyment seeing them and listening to their music, is only the result of doing acid or being a stoner is more than a little played, and is really insulting. And while I am trying to resist the urge to advocate for the Dead's music, I would think that a fan of Wilco and Uncle Tupelo would be able to appreciate the music and brilliance of albums such as Workingman's Dead and American Beauty. But like I said, there's no accounting for taste.

So maybe we can agree to agree that "jam band" is kind of a dumb title for any band.

LouieB

Blashamey. Paul Weller, Bruce Foxton and Rick Buckler would not agree with this statement.

So maybe we can agree to agree that "jam band" is kind of a dumb title for any band.

LouieB

Blashamey. Paul Weller, Bruce Foxton and Rick Buckler would not agree with this statement.

Nice!!!

I used to tear my hair out over the fact that my punk rock friends didnt like GD

I learned back in 89 that it was a lost cause. there is a bunch of factors including anything that draws 70K people they tag as no

or they just dont like it but they like a million songs that sound just like it ESPECIALLY if theyre WILCO fans

maybe china cat sunflower or help on the way??

i wish the great american music hall was on video

That's really sad.

no its not. the gd did it massive justice

just relax and listen to the dancin for about ten minutes.

get it?

No, it rocks your face off.

And you're not helping your cause by posting a video which starts with the most ridiculous song the Grateful Dead ever covered.

yeah. call me crazy!

i was raised on suicidal tendencies and dead kennedys so what do i know?

BOOM!!!

I want I hate and especially tinnitus to tell me this doesnt RAWK

this was the first time they had ever played these notes

bill graham intro

dancin in the streets

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1BV7cfllEU&feature=related

that's a joke, right?

if your drummer ain't sweatin', yr band ain't rockin'

this looks like some high school talent show.

just relax and listen to the dancin for about ten minutes.

get it?

Was that for me? Having spent a couple of decades listening to the Grateful Dead, I don't really need any more time with "Dancing in the Streets" to know it's a pile of shit. It's incredibly out of place on what is probably their best studio album. They must have been on drugs or something.

I think the goal of a standard Grateful Dead performance was to achieve a unique / interesting instrumental jam. The songs warmed the band up for the portion of a performance where they would instrumentally explore. For me, and from what i've read / heard about the band, that was the highlight. The songs were great but it was the instrumental jams that made the band (e.g., playin' in the band, the other one, dark star, the eleven jam, china cat transition to rider, scarlet transition to fire, etc.).

I remember going to high school parties with tapes and sneakily lowering the volume of U2 or Guns and Roses and putting in 8.27.1972 or 9.17.1972 or 7.18.1976 or 9.17.1982...Girls would ask me about the "deep jamming" and i would say - "hey - I used to fast forward over the jamming. Now I fast forward to the jamming..."

I remember going to high school parties with tapes and sneakily lowering the volume of U2 or Guns and Roses and putting in 8.27.1972 or 9.17.1972 or 7.18.1976 or 9.17.1982...Girls would ask me about the "deep jamming" and i would say - "hey - I used to fast forward over the jamming. Now I fast forward to the jamming..."

You would put Veneta on at parties? That's a toughie, while I'm in the camp of that is one of the most amazing events ever, I'm also sane enough to know that is not a show for casual listening. I would describe that show as the perfect soundtrack to a psychedelic experience. This is a show where it was blistering hot and overwhelmingly humid, to top it off they had gotten dosed back stage and by that time they weren't really doing that anymore. Because of the heat and humidity their instruments were constantly going out of tune and they were forced to approach songs in a completely different way, and on acid to boot. There is a reason they won't release this show even though it's one of the most requested shows. Interestingly enough it's the only show (besides their "1st" show) they actually recognized and played a 10 year anniversary show for and then in '92 scheduled a 20 year anniversary show which was later cancelled. I can't imagine anyone hearing 8/27/72 as an introduction to the Dead coming out of it with anything positive to say about a band that couldn't play in time or in tune with each other.