A friend sent me this:

20120613cpbss-a.jpg

I completely identify with the cartoon.

I love Wilco, but there are a lot of douchebags who also love Wilco. Walking into a Portlandia-style coffee house with Wilco on the speakers would probably make me cringe.

I choose to just be grateful for the music.

In life one encounters people who like the same thing one likes but who are objectionable on other grounds. I try to work on abiding and accepting others who may be personally objectionable to me or who may use various means and privileges to sabotage and neuter the free exchange of ideas.

I find this guy just as objectionable as an asshole who holds tweedy captive In a conversation throughout the majority of a LRS intermission, thus disallowing the free exchange of ideas for anyone else with the man or makes silly dog panting noises during the song I requested. Either way, I find your position utter

BS! ;)

I love Wilco, but there are a lot of douchebags who also love Wilco. Walking into a Portlandia-style coffee house with Wilco on the speakers would probably make me cringe.

I agree! I love Wilco but when I hear Wilco piped in over speakers while out doing something mundane (shopping or having coffee) I feel a little violated. It's inexplicable. I prefer to listen to my Wilco at home, in my car, with friends, or live in concert, but not in public spaces like restaurants or stores. Maybe because It is too emotive or mentally engaging, and so a bit uncomfortable to have that laid bare in front of strangers. Or maybe because i just prefer to have it loud or not at all? I can comfortably listen to "call me maybe" endlessly at the supermarket, though...

I agree! I love Wilco but when I hear Wilco piped in over speakers while out doing something mundane (shopping or having coffee) I feel a little violated. It's inexplicable. I prefer to listen to my Wilco at home, in my car, with friends, or live in concert, but not in public spaces like restaurants or stores. Maybe because It is too emotive or mentally engaging, and so a bit uncomfortable to have that laid bare in front of strangers.

I know what you mean. When I hear a Wilco song in the grocery store, at first I get a little thrill of recognition, but then it just feels weird. It's taking something small and personal (to me, anyway) and putting it some big random place, completely devoid of context, and it just doesn't sit right. My favorite listening place for Wilco is my car (and of course at a show!).

The cartoon that started this conversation doesn't offend me, though. Anything can become a parody of itself, especially when so many people are so devoted to it.

To enjoy Wilco takes a certain musical maturity that the average coffee shop patron is just not ready for nor deserving of. I say this in jest because we are known to be musical snobs as Wilco fans but I also believe every freakin word of it.

No one here even gets it! He is obviously pointing at the Muddy Waters sign and is too stupid to know that Muddy Waters was a fucking bad ass AND that the music heard overhead is not The Wilco but in fact it is The Radiohead. Get it.......?

No one here even gets it! He is obviously pointing at the Muddy Waters sign and is too stupid to know that Muddy Waters was a fucking bad ass AND that the music heard overhead is not The Wilco but in fact it is The Radiohead. Get it.......?

The cartoon says "painting". The sign you are refering to is the name of the coffe house. Coffe looks like muddy water...I can make that leap. I'll stick with previous interpretations and continue to get an unfunny cartoon. Maybe because I like the Tao, peace, love, understanding, and Wilco. It's all opinion anyhow....

A friend sent me this:

20120613cpbss-a.jpg

I don't know. I don't think it's a slam against Wilco at all. For me the key word is "ridiculous." I think the humor, what little of it there actually is, comes from the idea that the idea of Peace and Love would be offensive to anyone. Seriously, this guy finds Peace and Love offensive? Really? And by the same token, he finds Wilco offensive? Really?

I think the target of the joke is the guy complaining. Capitalists who think money is more important than Peace and Love. Wilco is probably used because of the whole YHF thing, and the fact that Tweedy's been a very vocal supporter of people downloading music for free. I bet the cartoonist is probably a big Wilco fan actually.

The Wilcos are lovely do-gooder artists who probably do piss a lot of capitalists off (and they're probably glad to do it! Or that may just be me projecting, I'm glad they do it!).

He's probably upset that the shop is playing a live bootleg recording, which he believes is stealing, and so they're engaging in an unauthorized distribution of Wilco's music....

Hahahahahahahahaha! Damn, I feel compelled to follow you around. If you lived in tampa, I would seek you out and be your fanboy. You have to be my kind of guy.

That could be Sheboygan, but he would have no idea who Wilco was...and he's missing his "Walker has nads" T shirt.

I don't know. I don't think it's a slam against Wilco at all. For me the key word is "ridiculous." I think the humor, what little of it there actually is, comes from the idea that the idea of Peace and Love would be offensive to anyone. Seriously, this guy finds Peace and Love offensive? Really? And by the same token, he finds Wilco offensive? Really?

I think the target of the joke is the guy complaining. Capitalists who think money is more important than Peace and Love.

That was my first thought too. Another clue is the guy making the comments is wearing a hoodie, in other words he's asking to be shot!