Bob Dylans's 49th Beard

You can search the In a Future Age section of this message board.

Or

Go to Wilcobase - then Songs, then B - scroll down until you see the song title, click on the song. Then you will see the list of dates the song has been played. Click on whatever date you choose. After that, scroll down until you see Audio Sources.

You should see some links there to some shows at The Live Wilco Archive at the owl and bear.

You can also use Google and find the EP:

Wilco's More Like the Moon EP (also called Bridge and Australian EP) was originally released as a bonus disc to the Australian version of Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. The band ended up releasing the EP via the band's website in 2003 to any who had bought Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. The EP features an alternate version of "Kamera", four previously unreleased songs, and an earlier take of "Handshake Drugs", a song that was retooled for A Ghost Is Born.

All songs written by Wilco.

1. "Camera" – 3:44
  2. "Handshake Drugs" – 5:11
  3. "Woodgrain" – 1:42
  4. "A Magazine Called Sunset" – 2:39
  5. "Bob Dylan's 49th Beard" – 2:20
  6. "More Like the Moon" – 6:07

A fine tune. Very good. But let's not get carried away (no pun intended). When you say one of his very best or one of the finer compositions, I think that's overstating things a bit. Another example of the glorification of the seldom-heard B-side.

A fine tune. Very good. But let's not get carried away (no pun intended). When you say one of his very best or one of the finer compositions, I think that's overstating things a bit. Another example of the glorification of the seldom-heard B-side.

Let me rephrase: it's one of my three favorite Wilco songs. And if it was on an album and played at every show, I'd feel the same way.

I also enjoy the minimalist approach to recording it. It seems to be heavy on reverb when it starts, maybe just for a few seconds, with some faint noise in the background, then it drops out to just Jeff and guitar. A few subtle electronic flourishes, the main theme is repeated and a nice fade-out. Musically, it's pleasing to the ears.

It is one of my favorites as well, both from a guitar-technique perspective and lyrically. After the first time I saw it played live, I decided I needed to learn to play it. Several months later, I got there :frusty

To this day, I still mess it up about 30% of the time. And If I even try to play it on a guitar other than mine - It's hopeless (the strings could be just 1mm thicker or spaced slightly further apart up by that 5th fret and it's as if I'm back to square one). I'm glad I resisted the urge to learn Dylan's picking on "Frankie and Albert" - I would have to quit my job.

I also enjoy the minimalist approach to recording it. It seems to be heavy on reverb when it starts, maybe just for a few seconds, with some faint noise in the background, then it drops out to just Jeff and guitar. A few subtle electronic flourishes, the main theme is repeated and a nice fade-out. Musically, it's pleasing to the ears.

Perhaps my favorite phase of Wilco, The post-SummerTeeth/YHF/LooseFur-LP1 phase.

I really like this song. Still one of my favorite Wilco songs.

Perhaps, but does it make a difference? I'll play it with or without a pick.

It makes a subtle difference. The song will sound beautiful either way. I just like the style: fancy flat picking with hammer ons/pull offs, kind of like "Watch Me Fall" but not quite as flashy.

It makes a subtle difference. The song will sound beautiful either way. I just like the style: fancy flat picking with hammer ons/pull offs, kind of like "Watch Me Fall" but not quite as flashy.

I'm fairly certain it is played with a pick - at least that's how I learned it and it sounds right. I've also always believed that the Dylan reference goes beyond the title/lyric in that the playing style is a bit of an homage to Dylan's early flat-picking style.