Awesome live albums

Another vote for J. Geils Full House . . . and Blow Your Face Out rocks as well.

Others for me in addition to the great ones mentioned . . .

Ian Hunter, Welcome to The Club

Los Lobos, any of the great bootlegs out there, but I'll go with Live At The Fillmore as the commercial release

Bob Seger, Live Bullet

David Johansen, Live It Up

Jackson Browne, Running On Empty

Johnny and Edgar Winter, Together

Rainer Ptacek, Live At the Performance Center

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now HERE'S a topic I can really sink my teeth into!

I'll start with the first thing that comes to mind: even though it's only about 75% live (the majority of "Maiden of the Cancer Moon" is 'live in the studio') Quicksilver Messenger Service's "Happy Trails" is THE definitive live "Sound of San Francisco". Even moreso than Live Dead. PLEASE check it out if you haven't done so already.

I got to meet David Frieberg once and I said in all seriousness, "This is the greatest rock record ever made". The smile that came to his face when I said that will stay with me forever.

And for you Deadheads out there: we should not forget the Dick's Picks series!

My favorite is the one from Binghamton, NY in 1972. What is that, No. 6?

PopTodd, I think you mean Binghampton 1970 with the acoustic set and 2 electric sets, right? That one is great, no doubt. I wasn't thinking those kinds of Vault releases myself, but if I were, I do like the Fillmore East Feb 1970 release.

I need to get those J Geils albums, good suggestions.

And i know we are talking live albums, but its hard for me to not think of the live Manassas DVD from German TV. They were a smoking good live band. And I'll take Ashes of American Flags audio over Kicking Television. Horn section and Monday!!!!

That would be Vol. 8 - yes tremendous my favorite from the Dick's series...the UJB gets me every time.

PopTodd, I think you mean Binghampton 1970 with the acoustic set and 2 electric sets, right? That one is great, no doubt. I wasn't thinking those kinds of Vault releases myself, but if I were, I do like the Fillmore East Feb 1970 release.

Yes. It's the acoustic set that kills me. So great. But the rest of it is pretty damn good, too.

Yes. It's the acoustic set that kills me. So great. But the rest of it is pretty damn good, too.

Yeah, the Viola Lee is one that BEGS to be cranked!

Now HERE'S a topic I can really sink my teeth into!

I'll start with the first thing that comes to mind: even though it's only about 75% live (the majority of "Maiden of the Cancer Moon" is 'live in the studio') Quicksilver Messenger Service's "Happy Trails" is THE definitive live "Sound of San Francisco". Even moreso than Live Dead. PLEASE check it out if you haven't done so already.

I got to meet David Frieberg once and I said in all seriousness, "This is the greatest rock record ever made". The smile that came to his face when I said that will stay with me forever.

Happy Trails is a great release! Haven't listened to it in years, will have to spin it this weekend. But Live Dead is still it for me.

I purposefully did not include all the archival releases in my list. I could go on forever if i did. But I would include Steppin Out and Hundred Year Hall (or the full release of that show which I recently got).

Any love for Dan Baird overhere?

104ezye.jpg

I had no idea about this album, I'll have to check it out. I loved Baird when he was with the Georgia Satellites. Their last and third album is so good, they really matured as songwriters and largely got away from the jokey country-hick image, but that excellent record, In The Land Of Salvation and Sin, got so little attention and it was far away their best album and then Baird left the band (which I'm still upset with him for doing). Who knows what other great music they could have made and his first solo record was postively atrocious in my view. Clearly Baird and Rick Richards needed one another to make great music, at least to me they did.

I purposefully did not include all the archival releases in my list. I could go on forever if i did. But I would include Steppin Out and Hundred Year Hall (or the full release of that show which I recently got).

Yeah, I wouldn't know where to start with all the live releases, but for this conversation Reckoning has to be in it. Fantastic recording of fantastic acoustic music. Dead Set (the electric counterpart to the shows Reckoning were culled from) is excellent, too.

My dad was already sick of me going to GD shows a lot by the time I played Reckoning for him on a long car ride around '83. He had never really heard the GD before and about half-way through the first side, asked who we were listening to. He was surprised/shocked to learn that the music we were listening to and BOTH enjoying was the band with the scary name that I'd expended so much time/effort on and caused him some grief over.

For that, Reckoning will always be a tops album for me.

Pretty sure Ziggy Stardust is an incorrect answer.

Live On Mars !

John Hiatt - Hiatt Comes Alive at Buddokan

Old 97's - Alive & Wired

Arthur Lee & Love(Baby Lemonade) - The Forever Changes Concert(2003)

Billy Bragg - Mermaid Ave.Tour

BoDeans - Joe Dirt Car

Marianne Faithfull - Blazing Away

Dixie Chicks - Top of the World Tour

Blue Oyster Cult - On Your Knees Or On Your Feet

Tom Petty - Live Anthology

The Seeds - Raw & Alive

Jayhawks - Live From The Women's Club

The Faces - Coast To Coast

Bottle Rockets - Live In Heilbronn

Robyn Hitchcock - This Is The BBC

Jason Isbell - Live At Twist & Shout

Blue Rodeo - Just Like A Vacation

The Doors - Complete WestWood One Recordings

Yeah, I wouldn't know where to start with all the live releases, but for this conversation Reckoning has to be in it. Fantastic recording of fantastic acoustic music. Dead Set (the electric counterpart to the shows Reckoning were culled from) is excellent, too.

My dad was already sick of me going to GD shows a lot by the time I played Reckoning for him on a long car ride around '83. He had never really heard the GD before and about half-way through the first side, asked who we were listening to. He was surprised/shocked to learn that the music we were listening to and BOTH enjoying was the band with the scary name that I'd expended so much time/effort on and caused him some grief over.

For that, Reckoning will always be a tops album for me.

Great story. And for that, I'll put Reckoning on my list too, and will dig it out for a listen :guitar